Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

New to the forum, though im on a few ford ones so I know Im sure you guys have a similar set up here!

Atm I drive a 2009 1.6tdci fiesta Zetec S which has been giving me so much bother Im starting to think about trading it in for a new reliable car with warranty - hence my mind goes to the up :)

I was just wondering how you were all faring with yours? Any reliability problems etc?

I also hope they dont feel too slow / are cheap to run :D

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Oh Im from kilmarnock and im 20 btw :)

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hey and welcome!! I traded from a golf mk5 dsg to a high up! Asg, there are a few problems reported on here a few people have had but luckily I haven't had any! I don't think the up! Feels slow or sluggish I don't miss the power the golf had but it had problems and was probs buggered lol I'm finding it very cheap to run instead of £70 every week and half its now £30ish eery week and half lol road tax is now £20 instead of £215 and my insurance has at least halved so I feel like I'm quids in well untill I've filled my savings back up!

Maybe you should wait for the up! Gt to be released looks quite decent from the pics I've seen

·
Registered
35 Posts
I love my Up! I traded in an MGTF and have never looked back. Feels very nippy around town, rarely notice the lack of power.

I average 50 - 55 mpg doing a 25 mile round trip to work and asItzben says tax is £20.

No faults to report however a couple of niggles to be aware of...

<ul>[*]If you need to get people in the back the car its a bit of a pain as itdoesn'tseem to return to its original location[*]You cant control the passenger window from the drivers side - minor but this has caused me to give an unwanted hitch hiker a lift...long story!
[/list]
Other then that make sure you really consider the options as they can really make the difference...£100 Sound pack is defo a bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I went from a mark 4 golf 1.9TDI (130bhp) to the up! i have never looked back or wished i still had the golf.
Yes there are little things on the up! that could had been put in by Volkswagen but they wanted to bring the spirit of the old beetle back hence the cost cutting. Dont let them put you off.
All I'm saying is take a test drive in both the 60bhp and the 75bhp.
Our is is the high up!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Love my up!

Had long drives in both the 60hp & 75hp and have to say in the real world I found very little difference between the two. Sure, a full throttle acceleration is quicker but how often do you do that?

There are obviously cost cutting measures but that's to be expected. I've owned a couple of Aygo's before and the up! is far superior.

Have a good long test drive, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've a bmw 2.0 diesel estate. It's great car, but a bit of a bus down the lanes that I spend lots of time driving down.

We've had a new fiat uno, panda, fsecond hand fiesta, mk1 polo, golf mk1, passat mk2, and now a ******* C2. The C2 is nice a nd small, but has the ride and character of a drunken paris french person.

The 75 up is no ferrari, but it really tries hard. It accelerates quite well and feels like it's trying. The Up stereo is poor, but the rest of he car is fantastic. Light and airy and the ride of a bigger car.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I do a lot of motorway driving and have both a 60bhp and a 75bhp Up. You can definitely tell the difference at high speeds, the 75bhp one is much more relaxed and nippy at 70+ mph. There's not a lot of difference at lower speeds though, in fact to me the lower power one seems more eager although it's done a lot more miles so it's loosened up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok...true story!

At a T junction waiting to turn left, as I look left I make eye contact with a lady and her child waiting on the path. She mimes to me to wind down the window.Realizing that Icouldn'topen the window I point to the door and shout "sorry I cant..."

To my surprise she opens the door, sits her son in the back and in very brokenEnglishsaysthank you. Bugger shedoesn'tspeakEnglish...

Not knowing what to do, so I become veryBritish,apologizeabout theconfusionand ask her where she would like to go. She looks back confused and simply points to the street sign for the next village!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey guys, cheers for the welcomes/ replies!

Well, just paid £180 to get my fiesta fixed and its broke down again :/

So tomorrow im going to look at cars - my shortlist atm is the up! the polo or a seat ibiza.

Does anyone know of any deals on regarding the up?

Id really love the maps and more and the more powerful engine but my budget will be very limited cuz i dont think im going to get that much for my car :(

Also random question, but is there a gallery on this forum for your own pictures of your ups? I looked in gallery but could only see the official volkswagen ones?

Cheers :D

·
Registered
811 Posts
A few things to consider from my own experience.

Using VW's PCP finance, I found very little difference in monthly payments between the 60bhp Move Up and the 75bhp High Up due to the residual values, so don't assume that you can't afford the higher power engine. Ask for prices for both. One certain thing, a standard High Up will cost less per month than a Move Up with lots of options.

If you can wait, March is a good time to do a deal as the dealer will have higher targets to meet.

I don't think there are any deals around at the moment, but haggle. I got £500 extra for my part -ex and free servicing by just saying I'd go away and think about it repeatedly.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would consider selling your car private, my dealer gave me a part x price that covered my deposit but said if I could get more private whilst I was waiting for delivery it was no problem. I much prefer to deal in cash without a part x as you know exactly what your paying and can haggle accordingly. You won't get much if anything off the list price but try for other stuff like discount on the service plan, optional extras, etc.. VW don't generally discount heavily like other dealers to shift stock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would but tbh this car is going from bad to worse.

And I might sound ridiculous here but I'd feel too guilty personally selling my car private knowing all the troubles it has :/

I'm going to test drive an up & a basic 1.2 polo tomorrow so ill post my thoughts of it tomorrow :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
No, if its really that bad I wouldn't want to sell private either, however, the main dealer will sell at auction or sell to an independent dealer and some poor sod will end up with it eventually.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My last car had its problems which is why I didn't want to sell it privately. I actually finished up with a good price from the dealer after haggling but I tried webuyanycar.com who offered £1000 less than the dealer's final offer.

Mind you the dealer is now selling it at a £1400 mark up but he must have spent some money on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm falling more and more in love with this car every day, I've had it around 2 weeks and feel like I've had it ,on the I'm so comfortable with owning and driving it.

I use it for school runs and work and it doesn't feel underpowered, all the power is in the lower gears so pulling away is nippy and then you can get up to the speeds you want.

I'm getting around 50mph and my fuel bill from my old Puma has halved. Essentially the puma is a fiesta and was starting to cost in repairs and the VW finance scheme works out I was saving money in the LNG run but getting a new car.

Apart from the point mentioned there is a little bit of gearbox noise and some cabin noise, but the build quality feels very solid and I like the noise as I change gear (reminds me of the noise a turbo makes).

In short this car it's lots of fun, feels roomy inside and is cheap to run and own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I went to the biggest VW dealership near me today only to find they had no up! demonstrator!!

Very gutted, also the dealer was a complete arrogant arse. I test drove the 1.2 polo but it was quite noisy and slow so im not that impressed - though it was very good quality inside!

Thinking i might just try get my car fixed and fingers crossed it doesnt break but meh its a tough decision!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dot let that showroom put you off, this car is defiantly worth trying!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Indeed! MY VW Dealer couldn't be more helpful and obliging. When I bought the Quasqai (new) four years ago I went to my nearest Dealer (8 miles away) only to interrupt a row they were having amongst themselves! So I went 25 miles away and they couldn't have been more obliging. Having to go further afield is a nuisance, but if it's the car you want ... in the long run it's got to be worth it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts