Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously posted about my situation -recently ordered a white Move Up which the dealer had in stock and was just waiting for DVLA paperwork to be sorted out, but I was agonising over whether I should place a factory order so that I can get the sound pack.
Well, it's now been taken out of my hands. An issue has arisen with the car I ordered which means it is not as described. I have therefore pulled out of the purchase and have been given my deposit back. So I am free to start again and order a new up (would prob go for tungsten silver, M&M, sound pack, also tempted by sunroof). However, I am taking this opportunity to have another look at what else is out there. I have test drives booked for the new Panda, the Piccanto, and a Hyudai i20. I've already tried a Citigo. That might seem like a random selection, but I'm just looking at cars which can give me what I want for under £10k.

At the momet, the Up is still top of my list. However, there are things about the car which concern me, and so I wanted to ask, those of you who have your Ups, is there anything about the car that you really DON'T like? I know you all love your Ups, so this might be a difficult question, but it would be really useful for anyone considering purchasing! The things I am particularly concerned about (in order of concern!) are:

1) Inability to open the passenger window from the driver's side. I often open the passengerwindow a touch if i don't have the aircon on
2) The lack of central vents on the ventilation system - is this going to make the car difficult to keep cool?
3) I like the black pearl dash but I'm worried about annoying reflections, and whether it will scratch easily and attract dust
4) The parcel shelf not automatically lowering when you close the boot

If anyone has any comments about these things, or anything else that you have found you don't like about the car, that would be very helpful!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don't like the fact that I can't put my foot down and go when I'm doing 70mph on the motorway but I know that the up! Is saving me from myself and saving me lots of money! the black dash is considerably less distracting than trying to understand what an m&m screen is telling you. You soon get used to the parcel shelf, and the big luggage space more than makes up for it. My only slight regret is not getting the sensor pack. The up is a great car and a pleasure to drive, even when downsizing from a bigger, faster car with driver side control of both windows and a heated front windscreen!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Everything in life is about compromise, after studying the marketplace, I feel the up! has the least compromises of any small car out there...after that, all the great things about it are a bonus!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
As said, all cars are a compromise. And as I said elsewhere, check out DriveTheDeal.com. Let us know what you think of the other cars. Be aware that you might be driving a demonstrator with all the toys, on a high range model, with better sound proofing, build etc. I've been caught like that before.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Snuggles: The four points you make I've found are just minor irritations in day to day driving, particularly the parcel shelf issue and lack of passenger window button on the drivers side.

I have found you have to run the fan most of the time to keep the cabin air fresh and stop the windows misting; I tend to use the air conditioning a lot so this is not such an issue.

My main 'grumble' about the car is the lack of sound proofing andwheel arch liners at the rear of the car. Admittedly, theUp! becomes quieter once it has covered a few miles but a bit of extra sound proofing/wheel arch liners would have improved the perceived quality of the vehicle.

If you do decide to order a car, perhaps you should add the sensor pack, primarily for cruise control. Also, the sound pack seems to be very good although I'm personally happy with the standard sound system.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't find the black gloss dash annoying at all.

The parcel shelf doesn't affect me, as the Lupo is the same. You soon get used to it.

If I want to open the passenger window I reach across and open it, it is close enough to be able to do this.

What annoys me the most is the poor design of the front seats when you let a passenger in the rear. If you are extremely lucky they may go back in the same position that you had them, but mostly not! I had no such problems with the Lupo, but it did come with an additional option (apparently as it was a dealers car) to make it easier to get into the rear, the seats went well forward but kept their position when put back.

My only other gripe is how thin the paint is in the boot. I put an umbrella in and scratched the paintwork. Also I have been very careful when putting things into the boot, but the lip (where you can have protection) is still getting scratched. I am going to purchase the plastic to put on here very soon!

The only other things are small niggles, things that you are used to with other cars, foot rest, arm rest etc.

I believe that omitting pop out rear windows and a switch to open the passenger window were both big design faults (probably cost cutting)

Hope my moans help

·
Registered
956 Posts
Have to agree with the others. The points you raised are just minor niggles (although can't speak regarding the black dash as I've got cornsilk).

My main niggles are similar to bugbabe. Can't understand why they didn't include pop out rear windows and the extra drivers side switch for the passenger window but it's not a massive issue.

Luckily we don't have much occasion to use the rear seats but moving the front seats is a bit of a pain as they just don't go back to the same position.

The lack of sound proofing is also a bit scary at first, especially when it's raining as it sounds like there's water actually spraying inside the car. And when you hear stones pinging off the inside of the wheel arches, it does make you cringe a bit at first.

All in all though, I wouldn't swap my up! There are so many great things about the car that far far outweigh the niggly bits but it's all stuff to bear in mind and really depends on what you're happy to sacrifice for something you really want.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Snuggles said:
1) Inability to open the passenger window from the driver's side. I often open the passengerwindow a touch if i don't have the aircon on
2) The lack of central vents on the ventilation system - is this going to make the car difficult to keep cool?

3) I like the black pearl dash but I'm worried about annoying reflections, and whether it will scratch easily and attract dust

4) The parcel shelf not automatically lowering when you close the boot

1) I would have gladly payed extra for this feature as an option and find it increadibly stupid that VW didn't make it available even as an option but.. it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

2) They are located behind the Navigon M&M on top of the dash.

3) My dash is white so I can't comment on a black dash but I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

4) I hatecars wherethe parcel shelf always rises when you open the boot..!!
Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
525 Posts
My first drive was a hundred miles in a rain storm and the noise of the water in the wheel arches really didn't bother me. I dont like the feeling of isolation from the world that you get in a lot of modern cars anyway. If you have the sound pack you can also turn up the rear speakers if you want! The sound pack is worth the £100 especially if you listen to a lot of music, but don't expect mega-performance. If you want that you'll need much better speakers but your hundred quid buys you the wiring and you can find instructions for DIY upgrade by Stainless in the mods forum.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am having to share my current car with my Son at the moment so moving the drivers seat is a constant hassle - I have just put a bit of tape on the edge of the seat andat floor level so that when they line up I know that the position is right !!

·
Registered
212 Posts
There are central vents but if you tilt the M&M towards you it prevents the flow of air getting to you. I'm not sure whether this is to cool the M&M or a bit of a design flaw. Perhaps eventually we'll get an aftermarket duct to vent the air around the M&M. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

The car does get warm. I would recommend the sports pack or getting aftermarket tinting to help with this. If you're going to have the windows down a touch I'd recommend the wind deflectors to (there's a place that does them through the discount section at a good price) as I got wet yesterday with wiper fluid coming in and I'd assume it'd help with any wind noise. It's not massively difficult to keep cool however and perhaps I should just turn the AC on!

I was a bit concerned about the black dash to but it's fine. It does attract a bit of dust but it just needs a wipe now and again. It's not a dust magnet that will annoy.

The parcel shelf is massively irritating the first few times you leave it up after being used to one attached to the boot lid but you soon learn to put it back down.

Five weeks in I don't think anything really irritates me about the car it's brilliant. Yes, I'd like a bit more air blowing my way, I would've liked a wider sill on the window for my elbow, a DAB radio option and I should've ordered the sports pack and sunroof but it's more about what I would like more than thinking I wish they'd have done something different with this or I wish they'd not done that.

There maybe a good few cars in the race for your money but there's only one that can take gold. I think we all know which one that is""¦""¦'yes it's the Fiat 500'. No, no it's not.

Choose wisely young Padowan. Good luck.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so muchto everyone for all the comments, it's really helpful and hasgiven me plenty to think about!

·
Registered
421 Posts
yapmaul said:
I don't like the fact that I can't put my foot down and go when I'm doing 70mph on the motorway
You're driving it wrong, my car will cruise down the motorway at 80 and I have had it a bit higher than that - not an issue.

You don't notice the dash when driving but feel a bit vain in the passenger side as it does act as a mirror!
The parcel shelf is just like a toilet seat, when you've done....put it down
It rattles when stones get caught in the wheel arch but it's not a problem really
Yes the paint is sensitive as I know to my peril, 3 weeks old and twice in the garage for paint
The blowers I have no issue with but find the blowers set to cold and floor is more than enough to keep it cool without air con

·
Registered
525 Posts
ZumbaQueen said:
yapmaul said:
I don't like the fact that I can't put my foot down and go when I'm doing 70mph on the motorway
You're driving it wrong, my car will cruise down the motorway at 80 and I have had it a bit higher than that - not an issue.

You don't notice the dash when driving but feel a bit vain in the passenger side as it does act as a mirror!
The parcel shelf is just like a toilet seat, when you've done....put it down
It rattles when stones get caught in the wheel arch but it's not a problem really
Yes the paint is sensitive as I know to my peril, 3 weeks old and twice in the garage for paint
The blowers I have no issue with but find the blowers set to cold and floor is more than enough to keep it cool without air con
Zumbaqueen, I know it will go at 80, but ive been trying hard not to as I've only done a few hundred miles and I'm trying to be gentle with it. I did notice that you can find yourself going faster than you meant to very easily! The difference is that in the Focus I've just handed in there was real acceleration at 70 and even at higher speeds. I'm not grumbling though. I bought the up because I wanted a smaller, more economical car but ive been really impressed by how smooth and quiet it is on the motorway. There isn't really anything I don't like about it!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Oh yeah I baby my car most of the time 712 on the clock and happy at getting 55mpg on my way to work but every Sunday we visit the outlaws which calls for a motorway run and the little boy isn't ashamed to play with the big boys.

I know they say you shouldn't need a run in period with the new engines but I believe you should also vary the engine through the first 1000 miles to bed it in.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
What annoys me:

1. Not as quiet as I'd like on the motorway. Not unduly noisy, you can talk to someone without shouting or raising your voice, but this is not a quiet car.
  2. The seat tilt adjustment has no memory, so when you let someone in the back, you lose the setting. Most cars have a tilt adjustment lever, and a quick open lever.
  3. Parcel shelf. I am learning to put it down.
  4. Passenger and rear doors. No external locks.
  5. Three doors makes getting in the back awkward.
Overall the only issue that I would pay more to cure is the first. But I've been in a Peugeot 306 that seemed no quieter! My old Ford Ka was much much noiser, and apparently the Peugeot 107 is very noisy. My feeling is that there are few cars that offer the Up package: small and hence easy to park, fantastic mpg, roomy inside, not too noisy (often very quiet), decent engine, good handling, decent quality inside (not cheap).

Reliability is the only unknown.

yapmaul said:
You can but you have to drop a gear. When I am on a road doing 50mph and I want to overtake, I drop into third, and the thing takes off. On a motorway at 70mph I'd probably choose fourth. Usually if I want to switch lanes, and I don't want to annoy people, I'll drop a gear, then switch when a gap appears.

It's odd but I think this engine delivers most torque at high revs. It has far more go than expected for the size, but it requires revving, so it is a bit more tiring than a much larger engine.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well with the Up still very much in mind, I had a test drive of the new Panda (1.2) today. Not everyone's cup of tea but I liked it a lot. Fun to drive and it really put a smile on my face.I think the price of the mid range model is too high though, as you have to pay extra for things like driver's seat height adjust, ESC etc,which are standard on the Move Up. It's in the running, but I'm not sure if I can justify the extra cost.
While I was there though, I realised there is a great deal on the 1.2 3 doorPunto at the minute - £1k off the list price plus a free pack which consists of a voice controlled multimedia system, parking sensors, cruise control and climate control. All for under £10k. Had a go in one - it also drove well, though not as muchfun as the Panda. Great valuefor money thoughand I 'll have to give it serious consideration.

I'm not sure about thegeneral reliability of Fiats, but then I have reservations about the reliability of VWs too - having owned Toyotas for the last ten years, and never having had a single problem (other than the usual consumables), changing makes is a bit daunting.

Trying a Picanto tmw, and possibly a Rio. I'll probably buy an Up after all this, but at least I'll know I've fully explored my options!

·
Registered
423 Posts
As a friend who has worked in the motor trade once told me "Today's bargain is tomorrow's low price trade-in."

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree... There's a reason you don't get discounts on VWs... Their quality sells itself...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts