Up Owners Club banner

Coolant leak - possibly water pump?

16K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  feniks 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have notice that I’m slowly loosing coolant, looks like it could be from the water pump on the right hand side of the engine (as you look at it from the front)

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by replacing the gasket or would it be a new pump too ?

And can I do this my self or is it going to be a garage job I like having a go but never dealt with coolant and water pumps before any points would much appreciated!

I have attached some pics (hope they show what I mean)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Normally the water pump is behind the timing belt and also driven by it. So likely is a garage job I'm afraid.

Depending on age of car, if it really is that, may also be worth doing timing belt at the same time....

#3 ·
Knowing VW and other similar large car manufacturers, the water pump may be a sealed unit.
The days are long gone when back in the late 1970s and 80s, cars from Ford and VW had easily eaccesable water pumps, that were easily removable and often repairable.

The thing that surprised me most about my 5 month old Up Gti, is that the turbo is watercooled, when most modern EU6 engines with turbos, use the oil passing through the turbo manifold to cool the turbine.

As we all know, modern engines are notoriously difficult to work on, and if your car is losing significant amounts of coolant, then it's a trip to either the main dealers or a very skilled independent technician.

#4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, I think you are right - the more I look at it, the more I’m thinking it’s going to be a garage job. It’s only a 14 plate with 31k and the leak atm is slow so at least I can still drive it - with a back up bottle of coolant in the boot ?

#5 ·
The images are not opening for me for some reason. Quite a few listed on eBay, new and used, give you an idea of what the complete unit looks like, and cost.
Anyway, I would have a go myself, but I am quite a competent DIY mechanic. If this is new to you it would probably be better getting someone to do it for you.
Or never too late to learn! Problem is getting a workshop manual, particularly for torque settings for nuts and bolts.

#12 ·
I think I will invest in a Cooling Pressure tester kit and give it ago.

After calling VW they want £66 to "Diagnose" the problem where I can get a Pressure Tester for £40 and keep it for future too.

will report on any more info I find with it.

#7 ·
That is a fair point... It's worth checking.

The last time I have seen a water pump leak itself was in a 2004 smart car. The bearings for the pump had an issue and water was seeping out via the spindle!

#8 ·
Important point: The water pump in Up's ISN'T driven by the cam belt. As correctly stated the pump is on the right hand side of the engine, the 'front' of the engine or cam belt end is on the left. Don't go changing your cam belt to try to cure the coolant leak.

#10 ·
That is definitely one thing I have struggled to find, is any diagrams or torque information anywhere.

The picture shows where the pump joins the engine and there is a little pool of coolant on the top as if the gasket is leaking - however I will go ahead and check the pipes to see if there is anything obvious in that area too.

Thanks guys

#17 ·
Quick update,

Went to a garage and got them to double check my thoughts and they ended up quoting £285 for a new Water Pump And Thermostat + Housing as they couldn't figure out which part was actually leaking so they suggested the full system change.

Going to gather some more quotes plus look at the doing it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.