Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owner of a VW Up, 18 months old have done 4500 since new. Took it on it'/s first long journey on Saturday (about 130 miles one way). On the way home half an hour into journey the coolant light pinged on and was flashing. Pulled over four miles on at services. Manual said do not drive. Checked coolant level looked normal. Waited 2 hours for AA to come out. AA chap couldn't find anything wrong with system etc. Decided to risk it as a further two hours wait to be towed home. Got home without this happening again. Drove at a steady 50 mph. Car has been at VW since Tues. They claim that after extensive testing no fault found. Anyone else experienced this as will be making this journey on a regular basis from now on and need a reliable car?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Fortunately, I haven't come across this. I've done plenty of 150 mile journeys over the summer without any issues. My coolant level is well above minimum.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had sort of an opposite experience. After being within range for fourteen months, I noticed that the coolant had dropped just slightly below the minimum mark, but had no warning light. I went to a dealership (Sawston Volkswagen) to buy some pre-mixed coolantas recommendedby VW's Web site. The dealer offered to do a pressure test to check why the coolant had become low, agreeing to do it within the next half hour. It was about 40 minutes in the end, but the result was a clean bill of health for the coolant system and the car as a whole; and advice that the coolant level naturally varies a little and was back above minimum again, and that no action was required. Cost: nothing ""“ they put the good of the car above making an unnecessary sale of coolant.
(Maybe VW pays them when they conduct such tests?)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts