Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

After weeks of research, test drives and negotiation, I've finally ordered a 3 door Up! White with the leather look upholstery and spare wheel via the online broker drivethedeal. It is hopefully arriving at the end of the month and as VW have stopped making the White and Black, so mine is one of the last ones, currently waiting to be shipped from the docks in Germany.

I run a business here is Cornwall and was looking for a cheap, fun and stylish car - I will putting my company logos on it, so it needs to stand out. I looked at the Citigo and the Mii (and the ubiquitous Fiat 500) and the Up! White ticked all the boxes. Although the Up! is slightly more expensive than the Mii or the Citigo, when you factor in the residuals (the Up! White retains 55% of its value after 3 years) and its better look and feel, it was a no-brainer.

I believe the list price is £12,045 for all this but I am paying £11,096 via drivethedeal, which represents a 7.9% saving (I could have ordered it with no options, and the price would have been £10,691, a 7.4% saving). I tried lots of online brokers, found drivethedeal to be the cheapest and then rang around dealers up and down the country to see if anyone could beat it, and no one could. I then Googleddrivethedealand checked their feedback, which seemed very good.

So, I ordered it on Tuesday night, paid a £500 deposit and was only told that it would be a dealer somewhere in the South East. As I hadn't heard anything by yesterday afternoon, I rang drivethedeal and they apologised and said they'd chase the dealer. At 6:10pm last night (bearing in mind this was Friday night) the dealer rang me and spent 30 minutes taking me through all the details, answering any questions, including giving me the order number. As part of the deal through drivethedeal, the dealer will deliver the car to me (300 miles) for free, but as I want to be the first to drive it, they have agreed to pay for my train, a hotel room and fill the car up, which I think is pretty good.

I have had lots of cars over the years, including a 1992 911 turbo whose engine rebuild in 2008 cost me as much as I'm paying for the Up!, but have never bought a brand new car before, so this is the first and I am actually pretty excited!

So far then, I'm happy, but I haven't actually got the car yet, so we'll see. Once I've go it, I'll follow-up on this, but hopefully for anyone looking to buy an Up!, this may be helpful.

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by: Cornish Up!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used Drivethedeal who used the same dealer to supply the car - in my case a Move Up! with some extras so it was a factory order. The car was delivered to me yesterday by a very helpful and knowledgeable man who went through the documentation with me.

NickEdited by: NickInSurrey

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NickInSurrey said:
I used Drivethedeal who used the same dealer to supply the car - in my case a Move Up! with some extras so it was a factory order. The car was delivered to me yesterday by a very helpful and knowledgeable man who went through the documentation with me. Throughout, the dealer was friendly and kept me informed of progress.

Nick

Hi Nick,

That's good to hear as it was the same dealer who rang me yesterday - he seemed a good guy. I'm always nervous of delivery drivers ragging the proverbial off new cars, but perhaps I shouldn't be worried based on what you say. However, I fancy a good long road trip, so I'd still prefer to drive it back myself I think.

What sort of a deal did you get by the way?

Cheers,

Tim.

Edited by: Cornish Up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts