Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've had a quick google about so I'm assuming this is not a warranty issue unfortuately.
Woke up this morning, drove to work (7 miles) suddenyl noticed a large crack from the bottom of the screen almost straight vertical!
It's a good 6" long too! and starts at the bottom of the screen.
Bah.
Never noticed it last night either when driving although it was dark obviously.

I'll contact VW jic it's covered otherwise it'll be a quick look at the insurance this evening and hope screen repair places have replacements in stock and that somehow I can afford the cash and time off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, I've unfortunately had experience with cracked windscreens. If the crack starts right from the base of the screen, they will not try to repair it - they will replace it. Depending on your insurance you have the excess on the windscreen. I know Volkswagen Insurances excess is £50 if Autoglass is used, with other companies £80. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, thanks for that, waiting on a quote from AG now. I've contacted VW also JIC it's an issue, although I've never ,ever experienced that before.
I'll check my insurance this evening, and see what excess is.
I have protected NCB so that should be ok.
£50 is more than OK as I suspect we're looking at £300+ otherwise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
timbo58 said:
Yes, thanks for that, waiting on a quote from AG now. I've contacted VW also JIC it's an issue, although I've never ,ever experienced that before.
I'll check my insurance this evening, and see what excess is.
I have protected NCB so that should be ok.
£50 is more than OK as I suspect we're looking at £300+ otherwise.

Usually windscreens will not affect NCB. But again, best to check on insurance :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
My last windscreen repair appeared on my last renewal as a claim

I rang up to complain, but she said it didn't effect my Ncb but was a claim none the less

I wasn't impressed

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ah - interesting.Well I've got auto windscreens doing it next Monday.
Had to use them as thats who insurance wanted (Hastings direct). £65 excess anyway.

Still cheesed off and I hope that no one else gets this as my VW dealer said they haven't heard of anymore but could only look at it warranty wise if I brought it in (fair enough but that's 70 miles away!), so I guess the £65 excess and a proper replacement is the only way forward.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Surely you can take it to any VW agent/garage as long as it is still in warranty. How long have you had the vehicle and have you any idea what caused it to crack? It may be installed wrongly and is not your fault. Phone them up and explain politely that you think it may not be your fault. Can't you make it a day out and catch up on some shopping at the same time as you take it back to the dealer?

My number plate was cracked on delivery and I never noticed it for about two weeks. They changed it immediately as it was obviously just a screw over-tightened when it was put on. I know there is a big difference to a windscreen, but then again it may also be just a screw over-tightened.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Best thing is to ask auto windscreens to run their tool to see how the crack has happened. They can use it to see if there has been an impact or if it is a manufacturing fault. If there is no impact place and the guy changing the glass writes you a statement about it, I would send the bill to the dealers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Binglau, unfortunately I am (as they say) 'time poor' at present and don't have the time or energy to take it to a dealers, nearest one will prob be Swindon 15 miles away.

I must admit I did contact the Dealer I bought it from (soton) who did say I could bring it in for an inspection, but I just don't have the time and £65 is not a huge deal really, just annoying as I've never had anything like that in over 20 years of driving.

Good idea Zillup: I can't see any impact place and since I drove it 60+ miles home at 8pm -9.30pm on Sunday night and never noticed it till 3 miles into my commute Monday morning I think it just cracked overnight honestly!
If they do conclude it could be an issue I'll send a email to the dealers and see if they might at least offer me the excess as a goodwill gesture.

They've had £13k off me after all!
I need a bootliner and some black wheel caps ordering so they'll get the money back anyway!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
decided to drop the car round to soton dealers on sat to pick up the bits I've ordered anyway and let them see the crack.Just in case I decide to ask VW HQ for the excess insurance back in future.

Odd thing is the crack seems to start directly under neath the blanking cap on the trim that I assume is there for the LHD wipers installation.

I've decided to make them log my ongoing radio cutting out problem also as it's getting beyond a joke.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts