Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My up! went on it's first maintenance after 10 months and 15000 km.When collecting it from there, they mentioned cracks on a belt which drives alternator, water pump and compressor and would have replaced it but they were not having it in store and they have to order it from Sweden, which is the nearest place to have it in stock.
As the car has it's warranty, I'm not gonna pay a cent for it, that's for sure. I never heard this happening to such a 'new' car, have you?
Anyone else having this issue?

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
75 Posts
Don't know how VW handles this type of issue, but they can say it's a wearsusceptible component and charge you for it, or at least provide the part for free but charge on the labor work.

I think in the guarantee booklet it says how many miles are covered for each system on the car, you should search for it and make a claim if applicable for that belt andyour current miles.

At least it is a sign of the service being good, they took the work of checking it and that's right.

In any case that's a really short service life for that belt, must be a quality issue going around with no doubt.

Good luck!

P.S.: There is something wrong with the diagnostic, the belt that drives the alternator and the A/C is not the same driving the water pump. I've read that the water pump has its own timing belt separated from the main one and the alternator poly-v one.

Edited by: Hambert

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hambert said:
P.S.: There is something wrong with the diagnostic, the belt that drives the alternator and the A/C is not the same driving the water pump. I've read that the water pump has its own timing belt separated from the main one and the alternator poly-v one.

Yes sorry about that, that was my wild guess. I didn't know water pump is driven by it's own belt. But the belt in question is v-ribbed belt.

-eelis-

·
Registered
164 Posts
-eelis- said:
My up! went on it's first maintenance after 10 months and 15000 km.When collecting it from there, they mentioned cracks on a belt which drives alternator, water pump and compressor and would have replaced it but they were not having it in store and they have to order it from Sweden, which is the nearest place to have it in stock.
As the car has it's warranty, I'm not gonna pay a cent for it, that's for sure. I never heard this happening to such a 'new' car, have you?
Anyone else having this issue?

-eelis-
Here in Argentina, this belt has only six months or 10.000 km of warranty.

Verify on the Finland site if they covers this belt replacement:
http://www.volkswagen.fi/vv-auto/vw5.nsf/html/volkswagen_takuu?open

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Only two ? Thought it was three years warranty !

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The warranty is for two years with unlimited mileage. This is extended for a third year if the mileage is less than 60,000. The warranty is therefore three years or 60,000 miles with a minimum of two years unlimited mileage. That is the UK warranty and I assume is the same elsewhere. Edited by: Beevee

·
Registered
164 Posts
-eelis- said:
At least in Finland warranty is two years. Paint work three years.

-eelis-
As I said before, here in Argentina, the warranty is of 3 years or 100.000 km (whichever comes first), except for discontinued models, in which case the warrenty is 1 year.

But they are components with limited warranty:

Six months or 10.000 km (whichever comes first): <div id="gt-res-" ="almost_half_cell"><div dir="ltr" style="zoom:1">spark plugs, brake shoes and pads, brake discs and brake drums, fuel filter, air and pollen, valve cover gasket, tires, alternator belt and water pump

Twelve months or 20.000 km (whichever comes first): shock absorvers or dampers

Twelve months: Main Battery

Twelve months or 30.000 km (whichever comes first): Flywheel, collar, plate and clutch disc

http://www.volkswagen.com.ar/es/posventa0/garantias0.html

Regards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts