Up Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I borrowed a demo Up! from the dealer before I had my own delivered. Went along on the road in about 40mph and then a stone came flying and smashed the windshield. Cracked from bottom to top in a second! It was the smallest stone I've seen to make that kind of damage. My Kia would've wiped that off like a raindrop.

Today, three days after delivery of my new Up!, the same thing happened to me in this car. Driving in about 35mph and there were more than two-three car lengths between me and the one in front of me. A little, little stone came flying again and made a big hole in the windshield. This time the hole didn't crack though. So the glass company could somewhat repair it. Really bothers me though...

Am I just unlucky or does the Up! have a really crappy windshield? And do I get a better windshield if it's replaced with a new one from the glass company? Rather expensive insurance cost because of the camera though :/

·
Registered
957 Posts
Unlucky I would think as windscreens must surely be made in the same way for most cars

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an idea of a windshield made thinner and lighter to lower the building costs of the Up! but I hope I'm wrong.

/Yours sincerely, the Unlucky one :(Edited by: eightbits

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm gonna guess it's bad luck.. I've not heard this happening to anyone else. Also on my first long journey a massiveeee stone came flying at my windscreen on the motorway.. I absolutely phat my sants!! But to my surprise there was no mark left.. And by mark I mean on the wind screen! Haha

·
Registered
705 Posts
The wrong kind of stone in the wrong place can cause any windscreen to crack or shatter.

Nick

·
Registered
36 Posts
My sister cracked hers on the up! last thursday afternoon. Was replaced quickly through insurance company and a new windscreen in by lunchtime saturday. It cracked top passenger side from the top edge down and across by about 8-9 inches. Hopes it doesnt happen again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
my screen scratched really badly when a tiny bit of grit must of flicked up on screen while driving on rainy moterway, horrible mess, thought the screen was soft as have never had this happen in any other car i have owned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts