Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok they've been on the road for over a year now so it was just a matter of time before someone crashed or destroyed an up! Anyone see any pictures or articles of an up! crashed or destroyed yet..?

To get things started here's 3 that I've already posted plus a new one I found today.

I've read on a German forum that this next one was hit by a train but haven't found any source to confirm if it's true.

The next one was hit by a bus while waiting at a signal light. The lady bus driver was doing 70kph instead of the posted 50kph and failed to use the brakes (she claimed they were defect but they found nothing out of order with them).

up! hit by a motorcycle.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mini_joe said:
do you know any more info on the 2nd to last one? was there anyone in the back seats?

There was a VW up! and an Opel Zaphira waiting at a red light when a female bus driver drove into them while doing 70kph (50kph posted!) without applying her brakes and finally taking another 350 meters before coming to a full stop! The up! was hit first sending it onto the Opel, both drivers were seriously injured requiring hospitalisation. No mention of passengers in the vehicles fortunately but 4 bus passengers were injured and the bus driver went into shock.

source:http://www.mopo.de/polizei/waren-bremsen-defekt--barmbek--sechs-verletzte-bei-crash-mit-hvv-bus,7730198,21378612.html

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
217 Posts
<h1 ="lead" style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; margin: -4px 0px 5px; padding: 0px; -: none; border-bottom-style: none; text-trans: uppercase; clear: both; line-height: normal; -repeat: repeat no-repeat;">CAR FLIPS OVER AFTER CRASH ON CARLISLE STREET</h1><div ="_400_article" style="width: 400px; line-height: normal;">Last updated at 10:14, Wednesday, 19 September 2012
A car with the slogan This Side Up! on its roof toppled over after the driver was blinded by bright sunshine.<div ="_400_article__landscape" style="font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px;">
<div ="_400_article__landscape_caption" style="margin: 0px; padding: 5px; width: 378px; border-left-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-left-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-right-style: solid; border-right-width: 1px; border-right-color: rgb204, 204, 204; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-color: rgb204, 204, 204; font-size: 10px; color: rgb102, 102, 102;">The overturned car

<div ="r4" style="font-family: verdana, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 0px; width: 400px; height: 15px; clear: both;">
Police said the bright weather was believed to be responsible for the crash on Etterby Street, Carlisle, at 8.40am today when the Volkswagen Up collided with a parked vehicle.The 25-year-old driver was taken to hospital with hand injuries following the accident, close to the junction with Scotland Road.PC Andrew Hunter said the car flipped over because of its light weight.First published at 10:13, Wednesday, 19 September 2012
Published byhttp://www.newsandstar.co.ukSourcehttp://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/car-flips-over-after-crash-on-carlisle-street-1.997006?referrerPath=

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes.. completely forget about the This Side up!crash..!! thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The driver was turning left at a junction and didn't see the oil truck coming from the right which hit the passenger side. The passenger was seriously injured and was cut free and the driver moderately injured.

I don't doubt that it would be much different with any small-medium
sized car, but it shows how fragile things can be at what was likely a relatively low speed (50kph limit inside towns in Germany) impact from a very heavy vehicle.

Source: http://www.innsalzach24.de/innsalzach/burghausen/burghausen/burghausen-schwerer-unfall-burgkirchener-strasse-innsalzach24-2542529.html

And someone hit a lampost, seriously injured.

Source: http://www.volksstimme.de/aboservice/volksstimme.de_newsletter/1030954_Fahrer-nach-Unfall-schwerverletzt.html

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
xpug said:
The driver was turning left at a junction and didn't see the oil truck coming from the right which hit the passenger side. The passenger was seriously injured and was cut free and the driver moderately injured.

Ouch..! That passenger had "Glück imUnglück"..!! (German for:lucky under the circumstances).

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mini_joe said:
do you know any more info on the 2nd to last one? was there anyone in the back seats?

Yes, they're currently orbiting Saturn

Sorry couldn't resist. Apologies in advance to all those who are offended or likely to take umbrage.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ouch! At least the driver was sitting in the right as the car was German...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Well at least, these were serious accidents, yet it looks like in all cases driver and front passenger came out alive... That's actually not a bad result, I think?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
ptae2000e said:
Well at least, these were serious accidents, yet it looks like in all cases driver and front passenger came out alive... That's actually not a bad result, I think?
What about picture 2 in the first post? It looks like the passenger seats were pushed forward into the front seats, probably fatal for any rear passengers. Not entirely clear though. That said, how many cars would survive a rear end 50mph shunt from a bus?

They do seem to be surviving quite well though we cannot see what happens to the steering wheel and pedals.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ecksile said:
skyhigh said:
Ouch! At least the driver was sitting in the right as the car was German...

Err, No! Nothing left of the right. Driver sitting on the left unless he was extremely talented 
Oops, sorry! I meant to say that, but obviously I didn't. Never mind...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
skyhigh said:

<div ="msgSignature">
Did you know that VW made their own sausages?
I think you get the prize for the forum's most bizarre post, a hard fought competion.

The way you say that, it is as if we are to assume that car makers normally order in large quantities of sausages, whereas VW make their own. I'm confused ...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Leif said:
skyhigh said:

I think you get the prize for the forum's most bizarre post, a hard fought competion.

The way you say that, it is as if we are to assume that car makers normally order in large quantities of sausages, whereas VW make their own. I'm confused ...
Sorry for the confusion, the part about the sausages is only my signature and was a reference to another thread on here. As you say, it does look a little bizarre.
Edited by: skyhigh

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
skyhigh said:
Leif said:
skyhigh said:

Sorry for the confusion, the part about the sausages is only my signature and was a reference to another thread on here. As you say, it does look a little bizarre.
So that's why the sausage text was not included in the quote and I had to copy it myself!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts