Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As per the title I have a rather annoying creak/rattle (it's more creak than rattle) coming from the passenger side rear corner of the interior when I go over larger bumps. It's not always on large bumps sometimes it's over small ones as well, it seems perhaps a certain 'type' of bump that induces the right kind of flex?

I must admit I've had little chance to investigate it so before I start driving around with the toddler seat removed (it's installed in the passenger side rear) and the seat down I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?

The rest of the car feels nice and tightly screwed together over bumps other than that. I asked a fellow Citigo owner if he had the same and he said no but then his was a 3dr and my Mii is a 5dr.

Any help appreciated!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Might be worth taking the rear parcel shelf out temporarily, to prove or disprove that item.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 2012 UP and have been fighting with the same creak problem from the passenger side. The conclusion is that it actually seems to be coming from the passenger door (while you are driving it indeed seems to be the rear corner, took me a while to drive as a passenger to pinpoint it). To double check, dont close the door completely and try to drive around. The creak should be gone.

Unfortunately at this point I have not been able to find out what exactly is causing it, but it might be that the door just needs to be adjusted and it will fix the issue. (for me the creak actually comes and goes often. Could be a temperature thing.)

Let me know if you can confirm my observations.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine started doing it about a month ago, too. It's intermittent, though - it hadn't done it for about 3 weeks until this morning when I went over a new speed bump at work.

I asked them to take a look when it went in to have the clutch pedal replaced but they couldn't see anything wrong. It didn't do it on their test drive, either, which goes over some speed bumps.
Edited by: Umiamz

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not just me then!

kickoff - I may give the door thing a try as I agree it could well be coming from there.

shakotan - did you manage to cure it? If so what did you do?

Mine doesn't vary now, it's there all the time regardless of temperature. I took the child seat out this morning and left it at home and drove into work with the passenger side of the split rear seat down. It still creaked so it seems it's not coming from the seat back fixing on that side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Mii does it occasionally on the nearside and it's done it once or twice on the offside. Had it in to the dealer last year but they couldn't find anything and, of course, it didn't do it on the test-drive! I suspected it might be coming from the door so tried adjusting the rubber stop at the bottom and tightening the bolts on the catch on the B-pillar, both without success. As the door is in perfect alignment I'm loathe to fiddle too much with adjustment. I was sort of hoping someone on here would come up with a solution as dealers don't seem to know about one! Shakotan's cure is interesting ""“ what did you to to cure it?

·
Registered
13 Posts
PS: Forgot to say the car's a three-door!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Having thought about it a little more (and listened more carefully) and re-reading kickoff's post I could well believe that it is, in fact, coming from the (front) passenger door.

Nothing more to add than that though - maybe I will have to try to spend some time as a passenger...

·
Registered
171 Posts
It took me ages to locate my creak""“ my best guess was passenger-doorish, but in fact it turned out to be the sunroof.

(Something else to check:

[TUBE]FTlOj5yV7WA[/TUBE]

)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having thought about it a little more (and listened more carefully) and re-reading kickoff's post I could well believe that it is, in fact, coming from the (front) passenger door.

Nothing more to add than that though - maybe I will have to try to spend some time as a passenger...
Hey did you ever get to the bottom of this or has anyone else had this annoying creak from the passengers door? it certainly goes if you open the door when its on the move.

cheers all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
mine does it every now and then , mostly after a long stop start journey, bugs the **** out of me ! , sounds like its from the back passenger corner , if i rock the car it sounds like its from the suspension or shock, garage cant find anything and it still does it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone identified the issue? My wife recently bought a VW Up! Beats 5 door and it has a creak coming from the rear offside corner. You can hear it when the car is turned off and stationery but is worse when accelerating from a standing start and when coming to a stop at low speeds. Took it to the dealer today who had a look but couldn't find anything obvious.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts