Up Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get a sporadic creaking on lumpy roads, at low speed, seemingly really low in the crook of the driver's footwell, maybe around the base of the steering 'column'.

It stops completely if I pull a bit on either the left or right parts of the crash-intrusion bar (between pedals and lower dash; it feels like 10mm rebar rod!). The bar in itself seems solid, weld-wise and it's firmly attached - I cannot create a creak noise just by pulling the bar around, so it's as if pulling it is affecting something else low down, and not the bar.

It's not the weather to strip stuff out and grope about low-down, and I'm not minded to go to the dealership just yet, given the repeated tries to sort out the rear shock that was noisy (they changed it in the end, to be fair).

I know noises often don't come from where you expect!

Has anyone had a similar issue, and if so, what was the root cause?

Car is 2019 Citigo 75 SE-L.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No still there. Dealer is looking at it tomorrow! I don't expect anything from them though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for replying. Yes, I imagine the dealer will not be very helpful! But if they can find anything do please report back. My Citigo is also a 2019 model and imminently due its third service, so is booked at the garage at the end of the month.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An engineer had a play and agreed it's an odd noise - that's a good start! I should know something by tonight.....

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It could be that I have on a pair of test-driver's long-johns that are simply too tight. T-D did say he was PJ Proby's no. 1 fan. [Look it up!]

·
Registered
666 Posts
It could be that I have on a pair of test-driver's long-johns that are simply too tight. T-D did say he was PJ Proby's no. 1 fan. [Look it up!]

I was going to suggest it was probably your old bones creaking, but tsi17 beat me to it lol.

P J Proby?. No, not for me, even with a SPLIT decision ha ha. I like more modern music because i am so cool.

My Long Johns always fit my customers perfectly. I pride myself on this. My word is my bond.

If you want to bring them in for an oil change service and polish i can do that for you with pleasure.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While my LJ's are both creaky and sticky, I'll pass on the service offer, as I am now driving about in nothing but speedos and crocs - it being Cornwall.

As for the creak in my car, they've had it in all day (and yesterday afternoon - for the free check-up with video and a clean, plus doing an MOT) but they claim to have "fixed" it!

Being Cornwall, the lady on the service desk phoned at 4:50pm and said she fancied getting off home, if that was OK by me, and so I could keep the loaner car (a horrid Scala) and come anytime tomorrow instead.... No brainer, as some Chardonnay is chilling, which is my reward for pressure washing the back garden gate - about 12 sq metres! I was too lazy to pressure wash the T-D-brand LJ's - even if they needed it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Speedos and Crocs. You are a "Snappy" dresser. It must be summer. Yes i turned the cars heater down very slightly and my Long Johns are stored away having a nice long rest.

Did your car pass the MOT? Don't forget i have a thread on Service, MOTs and Dealers on here somewhere. I think its been long forgotten.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they did fix it, under warranty, but they were not massively clear about quite what the fault was. They claimed they had tightened some bolts on some flanges that affixed the steering column, and added some kind of sounds deadening. It took a whole day to find.... Sounds hokey but so long as the noise has gone, that's the main thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts