Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically ordered the sensor pack because it was good value and included the computer, but I'm finding the cruise control incredibly useful.
It's so easy to switch on and off that, traffic permitting, you can use it on the likes of urban dual carriageways where mobile speed cameras lurk thus preserving my clean licence.
And as for the parking sensors I felt they were going to be a bit superfluous but I like the graphic that comes up on M+M and for someone with a dodgy back like mine it definitely makes parking easier and quicker.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Cruise is worth that alone....helps the mpg also!

·
Registered
956 Posts
The more I've read about the sensor pack, the more I wish I'd included it in my order. Is it something that can be purchased and fitted later?

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
clowesa said:
The more I've read about the sensor pack, the more I wish I'd included it in my order. Is it something that can be purchased and fitted later?
sorry but no, cost prohibitive to retrofit.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Thanks privatedoc. That's a shame but it's not something I've had before so at least I won't miss it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Something to look forward to next time.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I really really wish I spent the extra £££ for that pack, was so tempted but thought "No, I wont need it". But after my long trip I thought it would have been so useful then, and for the parking sensors too, I'm constantly poking my head out the door to see if I have enough space behind me

Maybe on my next Up!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'veordered the sensor pack and have been wonderingwere the controls for the cruise controls will be,Iborrow many differentcars at work and have noticed the controls are all in different places, the most anyoning controls i've come across are on the mercedes c220 were the controls are on a stick just abouve the indicators, i am forever setting cruise instead of indicating

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Samhead, the cruise control is all on the indicator stalk (left stalk).
There is a switch on top to switch it on, and a rocker switch on the end of the stalk to set speed, cancel and increase/decrease speed. I think this is standard for all VW cars.

Like you, I drive many different rentals for work and I find the controls on the up! are nicely placed and easy to use. The best I've come across so far have been in the Vauxhall Insignia.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Like many of you the more I read about the sensor paTch, the more I think it would have been worth the money. I'm still surprised that the salesman who sold my car didnt try to sell me any of the extra packs, and i think he could have done a better job by going through all the options and explaining why I would benefit from them. I sort of had the feeling that once I didn't want finance there wasn't that much interest in selling the hardware. They make very little on the car and lots on the finance and I think that can lead to a worse service when you're buying the car.

What does anyone else think?Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Matty, I did borrow an insignia once but didn't pay attention to the cruise controls as I only used it for a shortjourney,Iwill have to pay more attention if I get chance to drive it again. I'm Loaning a Lexus 220 at the momentuntilmy up gets here, the cruise in this is nicelypositionedto the bottom left of the steering wheel lovely car to drive too, shame I'm a small car lover or I would have one for myself

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to think of these as a waste of space until we bought my wife a car with cruise control and rear sensors. I think the benefits only become apparent when you have driven with them.
Obviously the cruise control is great on the motorway but I also like it on the long roads with lower speed limits. One less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lovin both of these functions the past few days. Really glad we got them. Using the cruise controls far more than I thought I would. Really nice on the snake pass the other day. The graphic display of the parking sensors on the m+m is really nice as well!

Ben

·
Registered
34 Posts
M5 SUT said:
I think if we win the Lotto this weekend I'll order a buddist edition up!

Hope you do better than me on euro millions last night. Not a single match!
Good luck

·
Registered
421 Posts
I always thought it created lazy driving but when getting it in the Polo by accident (we took as stock car was loaded already but the dealer wasn't aware) I love it and use it everywhere now

·
Registered
315 Posts
Please beware of using cruise control on wet roads. It is advisable not to do so because of the risk of aquaplaning I believe. Worth checking this out with a good driving instructor perhaps. Or the police drivers. Or maybe you can "google" for it?

I use mine only on motorways or dual carriageways which I know I am going to be on for a long time. I set it to the speed limit and then just steer it. I also like the fact that if you set it at say sixty and then think "Oh, I would like it to be doing 62 to stay at the same speed as avehicle in front of you that you can up it by nudging the control. I think it takes two little nudges to increase it by one mile per hour. You can decrease it too. The control doesn't take long to get used to if you have never used one before.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts