Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He, we took delivery of our new Move Up! last thursday and it has started really crunching into reverse. The garage assure us that this is nothing to worry about and it's happening because the reverse gear has no "synchro" or something.

Has anyone else had this problem? Rather annoying but I'm sure if that's the way it is we will work with it but a bit disappointing in a new car.

ta

·
Registered
214 Posts
I saw a previous post about this and apparently from what I remember the problem went as quick as it came and I am told that it was to do with the gears wearing in. I hope it is nothing serious though. We have not gotten our car so can't say more than that really. I hope you get some useful feedback from folk on here.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It may just be the speed you are trying to engage reverse.

Try pausing between fully depressing the clutch, and trying to engage reverse gear.

It's something that seems to happen on a number of cars I've owned - my daughter's Aygo does the same if you rush it.

Don't have my up! yet - so above offered as a generic observation!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. My husband mostly drives it and he's much more patient than me, and a very experienced mechanic who has never owned or driven a car that did that unless the clutch was on the way out. I just thought I'd ask to see what the general opinion is. Suppose if it gets worse the warranty has 3 years to go so all should be fine.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Can't help you with what the problem might be I'm afraid, I can only say that I've had my up for exactly a month now and not had any problems at all with any of the gears, including reverse, except when I've been a bit quick off the mark taking my foot off the clutch before the gear is fully engaged.

Sorry I can't be more help.

·
Registered
118 Posts
fonz94 said:
Thanks.  My husband mostly drives it and he's  much more patient than me, and a very experienced mechanic who has never owned or driven a car that did that unless the clutch was on the way out.  I just thought I'd ask to see what the general opinion is.  Suppose if it gets worse the warranty has 3 years to go so all should be fine. 
I've had mine since the end of April and still have this problem occasionally - even when stationary. I asked originally and was told it was nothing to worry about so I've left it since. If anything goes wrong with the gears etc I'll just take it straight back to Volkswagen!

·
Registered
956 Posts
fonz94 said:
Thanks for your reply ...and does it crunch when you do that?

It's more of a screech really, only happened a couple of times when I'm changing from 2nd to 3rd & it's definitely my fault for releasing the clutch before being fully in gear.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, fonz94.

Sorry to hear about the crunching sound. Just to check: is your seat adjusted forward enough for you to be able to depress the clutch pedal fully? Another thing is, as mentioned above, making sure the car is completely stopped, and putting it into reverse slowly. If you doing that and it still crunches, the clutch may need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Never had any gearbox issues or concerns at all! Also never heard of a gearbox 'wearing in'.....all the VWs I've owned have always had excellent gear changes, unlike the old Maxi I had many years ago

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with Whassup......except I never owned a maxi!

Although the mention of it brought back memories of childhood in my dads Brown1750 HL maxi!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just got ours and I have tried hard to crunch reverse and/or make other noises but I have to say it is spot on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have a VW up! for almost 2 months, and have been experiencing the same problem with reverse gear, altough I always press the clatch at maximum. I have noticed that in order not to make this noise I have to push the gear as much as possible to the the right before placing it (note: wheel is on the left). I have also noticed that when the car is "warmed up" it does not make this noise.

·
Registered
198 Posts
not had a problem with reverse gear. Like clowesa, have had a problem changing 2nd to 3rd a couple of times. I have been able to tell that it wasn't properly in gear and so haven't actually crunched the gears (yet!).

As others have said, its under warranty

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've heard this sound a couple of times on my car but, on both occasions, thought it was my fault for not being completely stationary before selecting reverse.
Obviously, if the sound persists with the clutch pedal fully depressed and the car stationary, there is a fault. You shouldn't have to 'massage' the gear selection in any way and I can't see that the gearbox should need to be 'run in' - it either works correctly or it does not.

There is also the possibility that the gear linkage is misaligned...food for thought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there,

I'm experiencing the same problem, I took the car to the dealership and they admitted that it's a "problem".. they booked the car in to diagnose the problem but before I had a chance to have it fixed I had an accident and the car was written off.

I've just received a second Up!ãAndãI'llãexï½�ï½…ï½'einceãtheãsï½�ï½�ï½…ãï½�ï½'ï½�bleï½�ãifãIãï½�utãintï½�ãï½'ï½…ï½–ï½…ï½'seãquick.ãï¼´ï½'ï½ãï½”ï½�ãï½�utãitãï½”ï½�ãtheãï½'ï½…ï½–ï½…ï½'seãï½�ï½�sitiï½�nãslï½�wlï½ãseeãifãitãï½—ï½�ï½'ksãfï½�ï½'ãï½ï½�u,ãIfãiãdï½�ãitãslï½�wlï½ãitãdï½�esãnï½�ï½”ãcï½'ï½�nch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've experienced this since I took ownership in August, it does seem to be to do with how quickly you try to engage reverse. I had a good mess around trying to figure out the problem and found that if you just leave an extra second between depressing the clutch and engaging reverse it doesn't occur. If you're like me and don't like to wait I've also found double dipping the clutch works wonders! Tested this on a modern fiesta and seems to work all round :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK so i have read all of the people comments on here, glad to see people helping out. So i have driven manuals for years new cars old cars blue cars and more. My reverse does crunch quite serverly under ALL conditions, double clutch, fully stopped, after letting it idle for a few seconds before engaging reverse, hot/cold, the issue seems to be frequent but still intermittant. I have taken it into Peninsula VW and they are not very good at customer service to say the least! Anyway they have informed me basically that they can hear it, it is normal and even tried to teach me how to drive a manual car (which i found to be extremely funny). anyway there is now a paper trail, but don't count on any dealership to help you out to rectify the issues. sorry but i feel it's the truth i know of a few bad dealerships around my area so if someone can help me with a good service center it would be greatly appreciated. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts