Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum for posts on this subject but didnt find any (although I am sure they exist somewhere!).

Anyway I was wondering what experience the up! owners club members had with rear high mounted cycle carriers. Reckon the roof mounted ones are a bit expensive for my occasional use. The Halfords one at £69 seems to be OK and Halfords assure me its works with the up! but not having seen any around I remain to be convinced its will not only work but wont damage the car.

See link.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_251011_langId_-1_categoryId_165477

Anyone got any good (or bad) experiences they are willing to share?

·
Registered
438 Posts
There are several of us who have Thule roof bars which are excellent and the cycle carrier pops on and off. I wouldn't hang a bike off the back of a car anyway especially not one with a glass tailgate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for this. Its confirmed my concerns that the glass tailgate and the plastic rear skirt probably aren't the best things to pin a rear mounted cycle carrier on. Not sure I want to shell out for roof bars and associated cycle carrier(s) though (such as Thule) as they sem to cost around £200 vs the Halfords one I looked at costing 'only'£69. Maybe it will have to be a choice - cycle or car - not both!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I am looking to buy roof bars for a friend for his 5dr Up with sunroof. I contacted the VW dealer in Ireland and they said there are only roof bars available for the 3dr Up and not the 5dr, is this true? I'd prefer genuine VW accessories but if they are not available I might consider Thule. Any info greatly appreciated folks!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have the vw roof bars for my 3 door, but you can get them for the 5. Got mine from a dealer of ebay.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts