Up Owners Club banner

DAB radio in UP!?

18K views 38 replies 27 participants last post by  collos25 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone had any ways of getting DAB/satellite or Internet radio in their UP?

I know you there is the Pure Highway system which you can get as a third party unit, but my dad once had this and it's a big horrid device which I think clutters the interior of a car, in-particular the nice new UP!

Thanks.

#2 ·
Halfords do a similar system but you'll still have yourself a box hanging off your dash. Don't think there is many other options for dab in the up without completely modding your centre console and fitting a 3rd party stereo?

#6 ·
It means that the Maps + More no longer controls the radio and vice versa. And some other functionality as well?

Nick

#8 ·
Yes the Maps & More is basically useless without the factory headunit.

By rewiring the M&M connections you could probably get power to the the M&M so you could use it as a navigation unit but i doubt you could get the data connections to work. Audio - maybe. That would depend on the M&M unit supplying an audio signal you could feed to an AUX input on a radio... But the M&M probably only outputs audio when told over the data connection so i doubt it.

I ordered my Mii with the wiring for the M&M unit but when i was waiting at the dealers i was comparing the screen with my iPhone and the screen is not that much bigger than the phone. I already had Navigon on the iPhone so basically the consumption data would pretty much be what i would get from buying the M&M.
I bought an aftermarket Pioneer with great iPhone integration and a Parrot handsfree module with a proper external microphone... I am very happy with my choice

And if i decide i would like the consumption data i will get an OBDII dongle or get cruise control & MFD retrofittet.

#9 ·
You might laugh but rather than go to all the hassle of re-wiring why not get a portable, battery powered/ rechargeable dab radio which can also accept an iPod dock etc andput it on the back seat. We got a special battery powered Ruark R2i for our Up! and it is great for driving along to and picker nicks!

#11 ·
http://www.pure.com/product/pocketdab-1500-vl-60799/

Why not something like this? A fraction of the price of the Ruark mentioned above and plugs into the AUX slot of the fitted stereo?

Personally, I can't see FM being switched off for many years yet (still too many cars not available with DAB is one reason) but, if it did get switched off, this would be my quick and easy solution.

#12 ·
The use of DAB in cars has got to be a minute fraction of the radio market. Even the car manufacturers avoid it - there's no market for it. FM is too deeply entrenched and is a much cheaper technology without all the drawbacks of DAB: poor battery life on portables, poor reception, low quality signals through squeezing too many channels into the bandwidth, appalling time delay.There's an enormous stockpile of FM, Short Wave and Medium Wave radios out there, with many people having more than one radio in the house. The cost of replacing all these, when there's a perfectly good system that doesn't require an expensive purchase, will always put people off.
DAB is a seriously flawed technology that is already badly showing its age, and other countries in Europe and elsewhere have decided to use alternative systems. Whatever the next technology is that the government decides to inflict on us, needs to be rolled out and let's just forget DAB - it's had its day and few are really interested.
I have a Roberts DAB/FM radio in the kitchen: DAB is never used. I've tried it and it just doesn't work for me. I like my FM radio in the kitchen, even with all the background hiss. I can still listen to a good broadcast through the Naim tuner in the lounge, and I'm pleased to know that it's given me ten years service and is highly likely to carry on until that fateful day when the FM signal is finally switched off. I've always been put off any kind of upgrade as the Naim tuner cost me £600. A replacement Naim tuner with DAB is around £2500 for something of similar quality. I'm not tempted!

Nick

#13 ·
Collas said:
The use of DAB in cars has got to be a minute fraction of the radio market. Even the car manufacturers avoid it - there's no market for it. FM is too deeply entrenched and is a much cheaper technology without all the drawbacks of DAB: poor battery life on portables, poor reception, low quality signals through squeezing too many channels into the bandwidth, appalling time delay.There's an enormous stockpile of FM, Short Wave and Medium Wave radios out there, with many people having more than one radio in the house. The cost of replacing all these, when there's a perfectly good system that doesn't require an expensive purchase, will always put people off.
DAB is a seriously flawed technology that is already badly showing its age, and other countries in Europe and elsewhere have decided to use alternative systems. Whatever the next technology is that the government decides to inflict on us, needs to be rolled out and let's just forget DAB - it's had its day and few are really interested.
I have a Roberts DAB/FM radio in the kitchen: DAB is never used. I've tried it and it just doesn't work for me. I like my FM radio in the kitchen, even with all the background hiss. I can still listen to a good broadcast through the Naim tuner in the lounge, and I'm pleased to know that it's given me ten years service and is highly likely to carry on until that fateful day when the FM signal is finally switched off. I've always been put off any kind of upgrade as the Naim tuner cost me £600. A replacement Naim tuner with DAB is around £2500 for something of similar quality. I'm not tempted!

Nick
I have to agree with that. I use my phone on a dock for radio at home over wifi. Zillions of stations and the quality is just as good as DAB. I even use the phone as car radio over 3G sometimes but it does use data at an alarming rate. Downloading a bunch of podcasts is another great option that saves you listening to the same news all day long! Still don't understand why they keep putting CD players in cars and no USB or iPhone dock. Vast stockpile of CD radios I guess!

#14 ·
I'm pleased to see that I am not the only one who doesn't like DAB. I just cannot get a signal at home, on the odd times I pick anything up it sounds like it is being played under water.

The only upside is Planet Rock, if I could get it.

#15 ·
True - I have DAB in my other car and still tend to use the FM channels instead. DAB doesn't offer me anything that FM can't, other than choice of more esoteric stations which I don't tend to listen to. As yapmaul says, I have albums and podcasts to keep me entertained as well.

#17 ·
An interesting point on the subject of DAB... Beforewe purchased our up! I wrote to VW pointing out that DAB was now standard in all of their ranges - except the up! As it was originally the government's intention to switch off analogue FM in 2015 it had been decreed that all cars had to be fitted with digital DAB radios from 2013... (This is irrespective of how much some peoplehad spent on "expensive" gear - don't forget thedigital change over of televisions...)Testing the air (and tongue in cheek), I pointed out to VW that if the switch off of FM did occur as scheduled, and they gave a3 year warranty on their cars, then the radios without DAB would not be "fit for purpose" and would need to be replaced...Their reply was...

Thank you for your recent enquiry regarding the availability of DAB radio with
the up! Please accept my apologies for the delay in my response.
I am
delighted to learn of your interest in Volkswagen and particularly in the up! I
can confirm that we have no immediate plans to offer DAB in this model. As
the up! is our entry level model, we aim to keep the production costs as low as
possible as this directly translates into the on the road price.
I
appreciate your concerns regarding the proposed digital switch over, however I
would note that there is no firm date for the switchover set as the targets
set by central government for digital units sold have not been reached.
Nonetheless even in the event that a switchover was to take place, this issue
could not be claimed against a vehicle's warranty.
I have passed your
comments to our Product Marketing Team for consideration on future model updates
and I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide us with you
feedback.
Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.
Unquote.An interesting point is their remark regarding"keeping costs down".Hopefully this will go some way in explainingprevious points raised regarding "lack of window switches not being illuminated,no window switchfor passenger-side window on driver's side, spare wheels" ect.
Whatever eventually does transpire we can assume that FM will be switched off - because "they" want the bandwidth for other uses...

#18 ·
simples.....brodit or mountek bracket and internet radio streamed via bluetooth.....I had a pure highway but the cables and general faffing about was awful

I have unlimited data plan on my phone so can listen to it all day.....current favourites...Kfox in sanfrancisco, antennebayerne rock live tracks and absolute 80's , don't think Ive used the fm radio for ages , except the odd Archers episode !!

#21 ·
No good for the up as no steering wheel controls I'm afraid

#23 ·
I fitted a Pure Highway in my Mondeo and when I get my Up delivered I'll do the same with it.
To fit it I spliced the back of the cig lighter (or you could do this from the ignition or power feed to the radio) ran the cables under the centre console and carpet and cut a small hole in the glove box to feed them through. The Highway is out of sight in the glovebox with no wires showing. I hid the aerial wires in a similar manner to feed into the glovebox as well. Works like a charm and no clutter on the dash or console.

Edited by: Roger the Shrubber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.