Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

in Germany in confugration for Year 2014 there is a option for a DAB Radio !

Digitaler Radioempfang DAB+
225,00 ‚¬ does anyone now if we can make this aftersale or sould we whait untul the new are on the Road ?

Here in Swtzerland DAB + is good in reception.

Thanks for your answers !

Greetings

Jarre

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Ooooo exciting!! Hopefully all countries will be able to buy as a aftermarket extra

·
Registered
438 Posts
In the UK, Mini offered a DAB upgrade for £200. I imagine vw will do the same. It's just a module and aerial upgrade that takes an hour to fit.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
727 Posts
jarre said:
Here in Swtzerland DAB + is good in reception.
Unfortunately it has no effect on the programing..

It was recently reported in 20 Minuten (newspaper) that Swiss polititions want to force Swiss radio stations to play "Swiss" music..!! Fortunately my Maps & More has a 32GB card full of (good) music already in it!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I seriously wouldn't bother in the UK.
I have changed my head unit to dab.
Stations broadcast in 64k bit rate in mono (most of them)

It truly is tiresome to listen to... I love absolute 80s but the quality is so bad it's like medium wave.

Fm is better quality, but less choice admittedly

·
Registered
309 Posts
qixxiq said:
I seriously wouldn't bother in the UK.
I have changed my head unit to dab.
Stations broadcast in 64k bit rate in mono (most of them)

It truly is tiresome to listen to... I love absolute 80s but the quality is so bad it's like medium wave.

Fm is better quality, but less choice admittedly
DAB is mostly mono?? thats bad! I hate when you lose DAB signal it makes an awfulsound like you've just run over apig or something.

VW salesman told me that there would eventually be a plug in upgrade available for the up head unit to convert to DAB, hope its an easy fit and not involve messing with the aerial/headlining.

Apparently they could be switching off analogue radio in 2015.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I listen to radio 5 a lot so I'm used to horrible reception! I have to keep changing from 909 to 693 as I drive along!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you Google dab sound quality it's a sad fact that to squeeze more stations on they had to cut the quality, and cut by a lot.
Wave 105 on south coast uses 128k in stereo (even the stereo isn't proper stereo I might add) and even that sounds worse than fm.
64k is head ache inducing, seriously.
The fm switch off isn't going to happen, it's been pretty much said by the government mainly as dab isn't the great replacement it was billed as.

If you're bored, Google dab bit rate/sound quality it's quite interesting how the commercial pressures have affected what could have the the next step.

Rant over, dab was a good move for my up for better choice, and the standard radio is really bad. By changing the head unit I got better fm, USB and more choice.

Just thought I'd stop anyone getting dab being as disappointed as I was!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I might have some news in the next few days on DAB, from VW, regarding the retro fit of a genuine VW DAB module- I'll keep you all posted!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I gave up on dab and now just stream radio from my phone...the absolute radio app is great and the quality not bad.........Thank goodness for unlimited data!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
DAB is now a £200 option in the uk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts