Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,

I just noticed this damage at the bottom of my Up! I was wondering if anyone has the same damage? Or what could have caused it? I recently had my tyres changed so I don’t know if it was from the Jack they used?

·
Banned
645 Posts
That looks like incorrect positioning of the scissor jack, or trolley jack, more likely the trolley jack.
Something has applied a lot of pressure to a part of the cars bodywork, that is structural, and it looks like they have also gone right through the panel.

Get it repaired as soon as possible, as any damp or liquid road salt getting inside the sill, will cause lasting damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much! I will head to kwik-fit tomorrow as they have cause the damage! ?

·
Banned
645 Posts
Good luck, but trying to get a company the size of Kwik Fit to admit liability for damage they obviously caused will not be easy.

Hopefully they will admit liability, because it's obvious somebody has been careless in the positioning of the jack.

It's easily done because as I acidentally did it to my Audi A1.

It's down to carelessness, and not carefully studying the owners manual, just to see where the jack is positioned.

There are usually small triangles embossed on the cars sills, and many, me included thought you place the jack on that triangle BIG MISTAKE

There's the inner sill behind this triangle guide Mark, that's the structural strength of the car, not the more delicate and more fragile outer sill.

Good luck, and stay calm, do not get into a heated argument, and explain to the possible mechanic who did the work on your car.

Someone who stays calm, remains polite, and does not openly lay blame on a particular mechanic is more likely to get an apology and recompense from the company.

That small indent on the sill has to be filled and repaired and resprayed in the body colour.

That's going to cost a minimum of £80 or slightly more.
Thankfully the damage is slight, but that sill has a small hole in it.

Whatever the outcome, it needs repair ASAP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good luck, but trying to get a company the size of Kwik Fit to admit liability for damage they obviously caused will not be easy.

Hopefully they will admit liability, because it's obvious somebody has been careless in the positioning of the jack.

It's easily done because as I acidentally did it to my Audi A1.

It's down to carelessness, and not carefully studying the owners manual, just to see where the jack is positioned.

There are usually small triangles embossed on the cars sills, and many, me included thought you place the jack on that triangle BIG MISTAKE

There's the inner sill behind this triangle guide Mark, that's the structural strength of the car, not the more delicate and more fragile outer sill.

Good luck, and stay calm, do not get into a heated argument, and explain to the possible mechanic who did the work on your car.

Someone who stays calm, remains polite, and does not openly lay blame on a particular mechanic is more likely to get an apology and recompense from the company.

That small indent on the sill has to be filled and repaired and resprayed in the body colour.

That's going to cost a minimum of £80 or slightly more.
Thankfully the damage is slight, but that sill has a small hole in it.

Whatever the outcome, it needs repair ASAP.
Thank you!! ;) I noticed earlier there are 3 other smaller holes in both sides so I really think they have rushed the job! Hopefully they will understand but I can’t believe it has happened to my precious up!
Thank you once again!!!

·
Banned
645 Posts
That is annoying, one small hole is something, but having four of them around the car, clearly shows the mechanic involved, either was in a hurry, or did not take enough care when placing the jack.

Imagine my dismay, when the passenger side sill of my gorgeous Audi A1, collapsed like a crushed coke can.
It cost me just over £200 to have it repaired, a very costly error, simply because i didnt consult my owners manual, for correct placement of a jack.
If your car was placed on an electric hoist, then it would not have been placed directly on the outer sill, causing the small indent.
The damage clearly looks like a trolley jack has been incorrectly placed on the underside of your car, as the small indent is in exactly the right location for those small triangle positioning symbols.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Personally,I would avoid rapid fit places for just this reason. I would recommend using a good local garage that lives or dies by it reputation and they might even be cheaper. Alternatively, buy from an online company such as black circles and use an fitter of your choice. You can always go one step further and source the tyres yourself, pay cash for fitting at your local fitter and pay £1.50/tyre disposal costs at the local tip. I have saved approx £100 on 4 tyres doing it this way but it just takes a bit more time and leg work.

Good luck with resolving things with Kwik fit. You could mention you always put reviews of local businesses on Google and they might think twice about shirking their responsibility.

·
Banned
645 Posts
I always use my local branch of National Tyres.
They take incredible care with customers alloy wheels.
Everytime i have needed a tyre fitted or removed, they actually listen to the customer who is scared stiff about accidental rim damage to their alloys.

I know time is money to them, but the customer service they provide, is exceptional, and they have never damaged a wheel.
Its more than a pleasure to use their services, because i know the staff will take their time and take immense care when handling any alloys.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Interesting that your experience is complete opposite of mine. Used National branch in Motherwell many years ago for four tyres to be fitted to my Fiat Grande Punto with 17" diamond cut alloys. Scraped all four wheels completely round the outer edge of each wheel, I went totally ballistic. Seems the eejit who did the tyre change used a machine without the nylon wheel rim guard fitted. What a star plonker. Anyway, they could not deny liability, and agreed to have all four refurbished. But with the wheels being diamond cut, the repairs were less than satisfactory. I was getting rid of the car anyway, so just put it down to experience. I have since bought my tyres online, mainly from Germany, and get a local guy, who does alloy wheel refurbishment, he fits them for a fiver a corner.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have since bought my tyres online, mainly from Germany, and get a local guy, who does alloy wheel refurbishment, he fits them for a fiver a corner.
I think prices in Europe are a lot more competitive than in the UK. Prices in France and Germany tend to be a fair bit cheaper even factoring the shipping. That's a great price for fitting and balancing!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you get any joy from kwik-fit Camy123 ?
Hi :)

Went back to the Kwik Fit branch and spoke straight to the manager, no surprise he denied that they had caused the damage! :( I think he could see I was so upset!

Going to pop into VW and see what they say they can do about it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank
Personally,I would avoid rapid fit places for just this reason. I would recommend using a good local garage that lives or dies by it reputation and they might even be cheaper. Alternatively, buy from an online company such as black circles and use an fitter of your choice. You can always go one step further and source the tyres yourself, pay cash for fitting at your local fitter and pay £1.50/tyre disposal costs at the local tip. I have saved approx £100 on 4 tyres doing it this way but it just takes a bit more time and leg work.

Good luck with resolving things with Kwik fit. You could mention you always put reviews of local businesses on Google and they might think twice about shirking their responsibility.
Thank you :)

No surprise they denied causing the damage, they then went on to say it was caused by VW when I went in for an MOT, and then came back to me with a 'VW Expert' who said the holes were meant to be there!

Will speak to their head office, and hopefully I can get somewhere!

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thank

Thank you :)

No surprise they denied causing the damage, they then went on to say it was caused by VW when I went in for an MOT, and then came back to me with a 'VW Expert' who said the holes were meant to be there!

Will speak to their head office, and hopefully I can get somewhere!

Thanks for everyone's help! :)
Discraceful, but not surprised.
So called expert said holes were meant to be there...........strange no one else on the forum have these holes I bet, I don't.
What do VW say about it ?

·
Banned
645 Posts
Its a poor reflection on KwikFit as a company.
Kwik Fit have a reputation of carrying out unnecessary work on customers vehicles, or treating customers poorly.
There was an interesting television profile conducted by the tv Ann Robinson rogue traders programme a few years ago, where they took several vehicles with easily diagnosed defects, to see what Kwik Fit technicians would say, or do.

The majority of the Kwik Fit businesses did not see the defects, and some even carried out unnecessary work, and charged the customer accordingly.

What can a car owner do ? as involving Solicitors and going through the courts to get a company to admit liability, is very costly, and unless the owner can prove Kwik Fit caused the damage, then its very tricky to prove negligence.

I am lucky, having found a very reliable and trustworthy local National Tyres, but saying that, my local Kwik Fit is always extremely busy, but i would not use them.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am lucky, having found a very reliable and trustworthy local National Tyres.
Tyre fitters are generally paid poorly, so good luck when you return for your next tyre fitting. Probably be a completely different 'team' of tyre fitters next time.
I really do not wish to appear confrontational, but there is no way I would trust any franchise, such as this lot, to offer a consistent service over a period of time. My local ATS has a new MOT tester, and he is a great guy. Passed last four family cars with him over past six months, or so. But when he leaves, goodness knows what the next guy will be like!
Previously used my nearest Halfords centre, as MOT guy was very personable, and never took the p..s. But he left and next guy was a miserable sod, so I moved on.
Anyway, just my tuppence worth.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sadly, the standard of service you receive from rapid fit places seems to depend on the honesty and business ethics of the manager/owner/franchisee.

The unscrupulous are simply out to maximise their profits by "pulling people's pants down" by unnecessarily changing tyres that can be repaired, up selling punters to premium tyres or other unnecessary work.

There are plenty of genuine places that will do you a good deal but you need to do your research and Google will help you here.

Sadly, too many mistakes happen often due to the staff age, inexperience, lack of training and often from simply rushing.

Rapid fit centres are a complete lottery!

·
Banned
645 Posts
The thing i find with my local National Tyres branch, is that the staff, especially the manager, actually listens to the customer, and the staff have remained constant there, for a considerable time, a sign that they carry out good work.

if i specifically ask them to take great care when fitting or removing tyres from precious alloy wheels, they do just that, and i can hear the boss tell his staff,to take greater care, or take a bit more time in fitting the tyres.

I always leave the tyre fitter a decent tip as well, which i am sure does not go unnoticed.

Unlike some tyre businesses, with health and safety issues, they allow me to watch from a safe distance, and the staff take a bit longer in fitting or removing the tyres.
Most tyre fitters rush cars through quickly, for maximum profit, but i have never had any cause for concern with my local branch of National Tyres.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts