Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all VW Up owners - please read - important info for your safety

I am an owner of a new VW Up. After 4 days using my Up i was parked with my steering locked to the left. Then as i drove off the sterring started pulling to that side. At one point i was almost going to crash, since the pulling is quite significant and worse still the pulling force is not consistant.

I contacted my VW dealer and he contacted VW who replied stating that the model i owe does not have the steering wheel alignment sensor. What this means is that if the car is parked with the steering locked on eiher side - the steering would loose its alignment when you next drive it. In order to rectify this one must stop the car - put the wheels straight and switch off the vehicle and put it back on.

According to VW this is not a fault - it is how the steering system is designed in my particular model.

The strange thing is that there is nowhere written in the manual about this behaviour.
Furthermore i was not told about this behaviour when buying the car - basically the dealer himself had no idea of this. Since everyone takes it forgranted that no steering should ever behave this way since it is a serious safety hazard!!!!

I have been trying to contact volkswagen expresing my concerns about this and obviously my disaapointment, yet to no avail. Its over 2 weeks now that i have been sending them multiple emails and they as yet have never acknoweldged nor given me any formal statement about this. I am insisting with them that all VW UP owner who have such a steering should be duly informed since it can be dangerous especially if one is driving on the highway.

I am writing this post as to alert all owners about this, in a hope to avoid any accidents, since i much doubt it that VW takes its drivers safety seriosly, considering that they are continung to sell cars with such an issue, let alone will they advice all drivers about this.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
It is just lazy to park with the steering left on full lock as well as being a hazard when you come to leave. If you take the trouble to park properly that is straight and in the centre of the parking bay you will not experience the steering pulling or annoy others parked near you. Edited by: Beevee
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
ken481 said:
To all VW Up owners - please read - important info for your safety

I am an owner of a new VW Up. After 4 days using my Up i was parked with my steering locked to the left. Then as i drove off the sterring started pulling to that side. At one point i was almost going to crash, since the pulling is quite significant and worse still the pulling force is not consistant.

I contacted my VW dealer and he contacted VW who replied stating that the model i owe does not have the steering wheel alignment sensor. What this means is that if the car is parked with the steering locked on eiher side - the steering would loose its alignment when you next drive it. In order to rectify this one must stop the car - put the wheels straight and switch off the vehicle and put it back on.

According to VW this is not a fault - it is how the steering system is designed in my particular model.

The strange thing is that there is nowhere written in the manual about this behaviour.
Furthermore i was not told about this behaviour when buying the car - basically the dealer himself had no idea of this. Since everyone takes it forgranted that no steering should ever behave this way since it is a serious safety hazard!!!!

I have been trying to contact volkswagen expresing my concerns about this and obviously my disaapointment, yet to no avail. Its over 2 weeks now that i have been sending them multiple emails and they as yet have never acknoweldged nor given me any formal statement about this. I am insisting with them that all VW UP owner who have such a steering should be duly informed since it can be dangerous especially if one is driving on the highway.

I am writing this post as to alert all owners about this, in a hope to avoid any accidents, since i much doubt it that VW takes its drivers safety seriosly, considering that they are continung to sell cars with such an issue, let alone will they advice all drivers about this.

Ken

The steering 'pull' issue is well documented on here, and only occurs if you leave the vehicle parked for periods of time with steering angle applied.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Beevee said:
It is just lazy to park with the steering left on full lock as well as being a hazard when you come to leave. If you take the trouble to park properly that is straight and in the centre of the parking bay you will not experience the steering pulling or annoy others parked near you.
What does full lock mean? When I reverse park I do not straighten the steering if I get a clean park first try.

I had it again last night. The steering had a slight pull to the right. I have no idea why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
ken481 said:
I am an owner of a new VW Up.  After 4 days using my Up i was parked with my steering locked to the left. Then as i drove off the sterring started pulling to that side.
That's long been known.

The temporary fix is easy : park with the wheels straight.

According to VW this is not a fault - it is how the steering system is designed in my particular model.
That's a load of cattle manure ...

No steering system should behave like that - far less be designed to behave that way.
It's a bug in the up! , and it's about time VW cures it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks _1S_

That's my point - no steering should ever have any functionality that changes its behaviour.

Ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
ken481 said:
That's my point - no steering should ever have any functionality that changes its behaviour.
You're not seeing behaviour - this isn't something that's been intentionally programmed in.
So it's misbehaviour.

But if you buy an M3 or M4, that WILL change its steering's behaviour at the push of a button.



Steering won't pull either way though
Edited by: _1S_
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
If you are facing downhill you put it in reverse gear as well as using the handbrake and uphill first gear. The car will go nowhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
AGE1950 said:
If you are facing downhill you put it in reverse gear as well as using the handbrake and uphill first gear. The car will go nowhere.

5th not, 1st, the rotational resistance will be greater because of the higher gearing.
Ok 5th if you like but I would not expect a car to roll even if the handbrake was off.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,495 Posts
AGE1950 said:
shakotanVIP said:
AGE1950 said:
If you are facing downhill you put it in reverse gear as well as using the handbrake and uphill first gear. The car will go nowhere.

5th not, 1st, the rotational resistance will be greater because of the higher gearing.
Ok 5th if you like but I would not expect a car to roll even if the handbrake was off.

Depends how steep the hill is really, you can push a car that's left in 1st gear without a great deal of effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
5th not, 1st, the rotational resistance will be greater because of the higher gearing.
[/QUOTE]

In my opinion the exact opposite of your statement is the truth!

Go well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Trust me Night Owl. You don't want to poke a stick at the lion!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Trying to get the lid back on this can of worms as I type.

Still think I'm right though!

Go well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
Thanks uphu....my experience tells me this too.I could go into the mechanics of it....but.....too late at night


Go well.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top