Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, is it just my UP! or has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? My dashboard lights, in particular the dial back lights that illuminate the numbers and marks on the speedo, rev counter and fuel gauge seem to have a mind of their own. The instrument needles seem to be on maximum brightness whether the vehicles main lights are on or off. If the vehicles lights are switched off the dial back lights seem to fluctuate from what seems to be maximum brightness, as if the main lights were on, a bit dimmer but still visible and even off completely where it is so dark you can nearly see the numbers. I know if its so dark you can't see the numbers then you should think about putting your main lights anyway but there is that fine line between. Is there an ambient light sensor anywhere or should I get them looked at?

·
Registered
604 Posts
JernejK said:
I think it's a feature, not bug - if it's too dark to see dials, you have to turn on the lights...

got it in one

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies guys. If it is a feature, it's a bloody clever one, amazing, what a great idea and it makes perfect sense. There seems to be no consistency though. Sometimes they are on super bright whilst my car is in the garage but as soon as I get outside they start to fluctuate. When they are off completely it looks like the bright red needles are floating about in thin air. Maybe more observations are required, I might even wave my 500w work light around, outside the windscreen to see what happens. I'll be back when I've dropped the bloody light through the windscreen!

·
Registered
583 Posts
JernejK said:
I think it's a feature, not bug - if it's too dark to see dials, you have to turn on the lights...
Exactly.
This kind of thing should be made mandatory.

I remember going into a few Italian tunnels thinking the lights were on in a friend's car.
It was merely the dash lighting that was on though ...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Hi all, back to the dial illumination with a mind of its own, it is a feature and a bloody good idea.

I didn't drop my 500w work light through the windscreen, thank god but whilst sat in Tesco car park I had a play. I keep a black microfibre cloth In the door pocket for dusting and just in case. I got it out and stuffed it in the dash binnacle leaving the very top of the speedo gauge visible around the 60 mph bit. The day was sunny and bright as were the dial illumination lights until I stuffed my cloth in there. They dimmed to virtually off meaning there must be a light sensor within the dash binnacle somewhere that dims your dash lights when the ambient light is low and thus as you guys said, reminds you that you should put your lights on.

WOW! What a bloody great idea, well done VW and I love my UP! so much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I notice it driving through areas with lots of trees overhead etc, obviously dark to the Up.

Great idea and it has worked and reminded me to put them on before! Such a clever little car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's sorted, it is a feature and the ambient light sensor is in the rev counter at what would be the six o'clock position. Cover it with your hand and your dash dial lights dim down to off completely. Shine a torch at this light sensor and the dash dial lights brighten. Well done Volkswagen for such a simple but innovative safety feature.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In many parts of Europe it is compulsory to put your lights on when going through tunnels so that makes this feature even more important. As a truck driver and having driven all over Europe I now instinctively switch my lights on when going through the few tunnels we have here in the UK, no bad thing I don't think.

·
Registered
237 Posts
jonwilliams40 said:
In many parts of Europe it is compulsory to put your lights on when going through tunnels so that makes this feature even more important. As a truck driver and having driven all over Europe I now instinctively switch my lights on when going through the few tunnels we have here in the UK, no bad thing I don't think.
If it is so imortant and there is a sensor, then why does it not switch on the lights automatically?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
uphu said:
jonwilliams40 said:
If it is so imortant and there is a sensor, then why does it not switch on the lights automatically?
No one is saying its important just a thoughtful feature. Personally I am quite happy to switch my lights on myself and happy for guidance when to do so ˜

·
Registered
95 Posts
uphu said:
jonwilliams40 said:
Cheap Car, cost cutting

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Exactly! Cheap car and cost cutting. The same reason the windows don't wind down with a single touch of the switch, the same reason there isn't a passenger side window switch on the drivers side and the reason those switches aren't illuminated. Keeping costs down to be able to offer this amazing little car at the price they do.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Beevee said:
No one is saying its important just a thoughtful feature.
If it is not important, then why did they waste money in a cheap car on such thoughtful feature as this sensor?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
uphu said:
Beevee said:
No one is saying its important just a thoughtful feature.
If it is not important, then why did they waste money in a cheap car on such thoughtful feature as this sensor?
Why not ask VW if it bothers you that much ˜�

·
Registered
438 Posts
It's not that cheap!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts