Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just wondering what you're using to mount your phone somewhere visible so you can use Google maps for navigating etc. Ideally on the dash where easily visible-don't want to look down lower. The heater vent in the middle is a bit annoying as that's where you want to put your phone/sat nav. I have a windscreen sucker type but its a bit useless and falls off all the time. I've seen some that go into a CD player slot which might be alright, stupid question but the Mark 1 UP (Move) doesn't have a CD player does it!? There is a long horizontal slot which looks like it would take a CD but only ever used the radio! There is space on the dash to sit a mount on the right of steering wheel.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi there, I have a mk1 UP and have been looking for a while for somewhere suitable to mount my phone, have almost given up, so I can't tell you WHAT to buy, but can tell you that most sites I looked at suggested THIS MOUNT as being one of the best and closest to the dashboard fitting (many of them stand quite a distance from the dash). I can also tell you that I bought one, which arrived a few days ago, sadly, it doesn't actually fit the UP, I've spoken to the manufacturer who has confirmed that it doesn't fit, so the hunt continues......by the way, that horizontal slot IS a CD player, not that I've ever used it either....lol

Rich

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Rich,

Thanks for your message. Shame about this particular CD mount you mention, are all CD slots not made equal? Just wondering if all of these CD slot mounts are no good for the UP. Maybe one of these adhesive type mounts might be ok on the dash, haven't looked much at those as thought the CD ones seemed a good idea but I see what you mean about them coming out from the dash quite a way. Its a shame someone hasn't taken the design for the in built Sat Nav that you get on some models and modified it to fit other phones.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This one seems to get good reviews, no one mentioned having fitted it to an UP but could ask I guess:

·
Registered
70 Posts
I pinned all my hopes on the one listed, couldn't believe it wouldn't fit. It slotted in, but wouldn't secure, so if you were to go over a bump I'd expect it launch across the car. Apparently they're designing a second generation model which "may" fit, but no estimate on when it'll arrive.

I've also tried a wireless charging suction cup style, but had it stood in the cup holder, it semi worked, but the suction didn't last for long due to the none smooth texture of the plastic used there (and it was very low on the dash).

Next in the list is a Brodit holder, this will be roughly in the position you're after, but the price is mental.....

You checked them out yet?

Rich

·
Registered
70 Posts
My problem with the Mpow (and others) is the distance from the dash to the phone, looks to deep, especially the models that have room for the adjuster knob...I wanted something flusher.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I've seen those. It's the fact you have to buy two parts that makes it expensive I guess. And it's also very specific to the up and I'd prefer something more universal.
Also found this which seemed ok until I read that when you prise open its jaws it detaches from the dash. I reckon you could manage if careful
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spigen-Turbulence-Aerodynamic-Dual-Angle-Application/dp/B076142D71/ref=asc_df_B076142D71/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311059984004&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5558263263210903614&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046888&hvtargid=pla-458837112225&psc=1nkCode=df0&hvadid=311059984004&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5558263263210903614&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046888&hvtargid=pla-458837112225&psc=1

·
Registered
394 Posts
I used to use a magnetic mount, stuck to blank switches on dash (mk 2) so 100% reversible. Allowed me to use Google maps in portrait mode which is really good since 'maps and more' upgrade lost that mode and the landscape is awful

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the Spigen Turbulence mount in the end, I have only tried it for one long trip so far but it does the job. It has an adhesive base-not sure how long that will last but it came with an extra one. I mounted it on the dash to the right of the steering wheel. Only allows landscape mounting but doesn't bother me. Only two issues for me so far, inserting or removing the phone i'm aware that in lifting the jaws you're kind of pulling at the whole thing which could weaken the adhesive, so its best to hold down the lower attached jaw with one hand while releasing the upper jaw with the other. Then you just need your third hand to grab the phone :) Second thing is depending on phone model i have a Bixby key on the side about half way down the phone and occasionally the mount presses the button but easily avoidable depending where you make the jaws clamp.

Overall does the job for me and not bad at £11.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the feedback @u0362565

I'm still thinking that the Brodit holder is the way to go as I've now given up the hunt for a reasonable CD mount that doesn't stick the phone out miles from the dashboard. I guess from your position it'll make it impossible to charge the phone unless the cable is draped across the steering wheel?.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a one metre USB C cable that reaches, it goes over the bulgy bit of the dash behind the steering wheel and doesn't interfere with anything. I just make sure the bottom of the phone is mounted to the left side for access to the USB port. I put it on that side because I have a tyre pressure monitor to the left of the steering wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts