Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a rattle/creak/tapping noise coming from the passenger side of the dash. I thought at first it was the glovebox tapping on the underside of the dash pad as it doesn’t seem completely flush near the centre Consol but it still makes the noise when the glove box is open. Sounds like something loose behind it, happens mainly when going over speed bumps but also on battered tarmac or rippled roads. It’s a bit intermittent and worse when left for a period of time like when I first use the car in the morning or after work.
Anyone else have this??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and it’s only when the left side of the car goes over speed bumps or rough ground

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have the same, but I can’t be sure it’s from the glovebox. It’s infuriating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also have an annoying noise from that area, I thought it was the glovebox too but like you it didn't stop when the glovebox was open. I did find however that it stopped when I pressed the handle area of the passenger side door. I haven't gone any further in trying to fix it but I would think it just needs something soft put behind the door card.
It's worth trying to see if your noise does the same thing, or, it could be something completely different!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, I have this. It’s the only thing I don’t like about the car. Really irritating. I haven’t managed to track it down but I think it’s the door card.

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 for another that gets this!

Would welcome a resolution as any rattle or vibration does give the sense of poor quality.

Sorting this and the door cards buzzing with the speakers would go a long way to resolving some of the more negative aspects I find with the car.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, it's genuinely my only annoyance with the car. I did think it was something to do with the sunroof on mine, but I've tried that in every position and lubricated it, but no change. I really need to get out in the car with someone else driving and try to pin it down. There are a number of roads I use regularly where the noise is terrible!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried the passenger door handle press and it stopped the rattle on mine. Must be something behind it I guess. Perhaps there is a screw that could be tightened or something...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s good to hear I’m not the only one, rattles bug the **** out of me, I’ll try the door handle. If it’s this then at least I can tell the dealer this and they may have something to stop it. Funny how it’s only from that side tho.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Me too. 2016 standard car. I also thought it was the dash/glovebox but it’s definitely the passenger door. Strangely only the passenger door. Pressing the plastic door card and until it flexes a little does stop it but always comes back. Very annoying.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I am fairly sure that VW warranty only covers interior trim for 12 months from new. This may or may not be the case when buying a VW approved used car. As always some dealers may be more flexible than others.

If you have a new car you need to act fairly quickly. If your car is over 12 months old then it's either a DIY job or get your local garage to have a look.

Door cards are fairly easy to remove with a trim puller kit and screwdriver. Watch a few videos, take your time and be prepared to buy some replacement trim clips.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Every single time I’ve had a car into a VW dealer for interior rattles they’ve either not been able to detect the source, or they’ve failed to fix it. I’d prefer to have a go myself. In fact I’d prefer no door cards at all if it fixes the noise!

Reactions: freemansteve

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s not the door card on mine, I hold the handle and it still does it, I’m sat in the passenger seat and it’s definitely the dash in front of me, worse when car is cold or not used for a while

·
Registered
109 Posts
I found the same issue so I plug the passenger seat belt in now and the rattle has gone. That was the only noise I had.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yeah, I did notice that the plastic seat belt buckle directly touches the plastic on the side of the seat. I was going to get some self-adhesive felt from Amazon and cut a piece for the inside of the buckle.

Reactions: rhardaker

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I did notice that the plastic seat belt buckle directly touches the plastic on the side of the seat. I was going to get some self-adhesive felt from Amazon and cut a piece for the inside of the buckle.
Hmmm mine is definitely coming from the dash

·
Registered
64 Posts
My old mini did this for 6 months, drove me crazy. Then one day I dropped the sun visor down and a customer visitor badge fell out that had been wedged up there - the clip had been rattling all that time!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I’ve booked the car in but the dealer has said because of covid I can’t go out in the car with them! Typical. I know what will happen, they’ll say they can’t replicate the noise!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the car back today and rattle gone, the red plastic trim hasn’t been fitted properly above the glovebox near the air vent. Popped it back in place and no more noise. I’ll see if it comes back tho in a couple of days as usually worse when driven cold. Dealer were very good though and were determined to find the source and fix it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts