Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have often noticed my dashboard lights on as if I have my lights on when all that is actually on are the DRLs. I have no idea why or when they come on. My initial thought is that the auto stop/start might trigger something but I never notice the point when they turn on. They don't always come on during a journey. Has anyone else noticed this?Edited by: Duffstar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Hi,

As far as I have been able to establish, the instrument lights (speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge) are on while the DRLs are on during daylight. As soon as light levels diminish, they go out in order to encourage you to switch the headlights on. Once the headlights have been turned on, the instrument lights come on anyway - as you would expect. I think the backlighting for the heater controls etc only come on when the headlights are on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
On my Seat, when I enter a tunnel, the numbers on the gauges dim after a few seconds, not instantly, but gradually to complete black. The needles stay lit permanently.
Don't think VW use a light sensor that would be too expensive to engineer, I think it is a low level of luminescent paint like on watches explaining the few seconds memory before all goes black.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
mii al.....No, they do use a light sensor...all the seat/skoda/ups have it

the lightsensor is cheaper than a rheostat to dim the instrument lights, hence the blank next to the headlight beam adjusting wheel






Edited by: Privatedoc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Privatedoc said:
mii al.....No, they do use a light sensor...all the seat/skoda/ups have it

the lightsensor is cheaper than a rheostat to dim the instrument lights, hence the blank next to the headlight beam adjusting wheel
Thanks for the update. If they are so cheap then it make the £100's manufacturers charge for auto lights a joke though!!!!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
no, all it is is a LDR, light dependent resistor on the up, auto lights have to have relays, switching protection etc and usually are part of a package with auto rain sensor and sometimes autodimming mirrors


My bedside alarm clock (a cheap westclox one ) has a green glow and LDR to ensure that it dims down at night ...the whole thing was under a tenner!
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,147 Posts
sorry if I come across as pedantic...don't mean too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I have this car, the more it amazes me.
1. Auto dimming dashboard lights to remind you to put lights on
2. Weight sensor in the passenger seat for seatbelt warnings and air bags
3. Automatically putting the rear wiper on when I reverse if my wipers are on
4. Turning the wipers intermittent when I'm stopped in traffic because the car knows they annoy me


It's the little things that make it such a pleasure to haveEdited by: Duffstar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Pretty much standard in VW group cars, although I haven't seen 4. yet. AFAIK mine stays on full wipe.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
All High Ups have the top lever canbus, so unless yours is deactivated, it should work!



Also, the rear seats have occupancy sensors for the seat belts too!Edited by: lupogtiboy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Umiamz said:
Pretty much standard in VW group cars, although I haven't seen 4. yet. AFAIK mine stays on full wipe.
I wonder if it's because I have the BMT, it could coincide with the auto stop/start
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,172 Posts
Works for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
I'll watch out for it next time it's raining! I've enabled tear wipe using VCDS but I doubt that would affect it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
Umiamz said:
I'll watch out for it next time it's raining! I've enabled tear wipe using VCDS but I doubt that would affect it.


How did you do that? I had the auto lock/unlock enabled at work and one door opening, but couldn't find the tear wiping....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
lupogtiboy said:
How did you do that? I had the auto lock/unlock enabled at work and one door opening, but couldn't find the tear wiping....

It's in Central Electronics along with the locking settings. I can't remember if VCDS actually calls it tear wipe or something else, but it was pretty obvious which setting it was.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I, too, have noticed that the dashboard appears to light up at times that it shouldn't and not when it's needed, much to my frustration.

Coming to the VW Up! from a Mercedes, which had an auto light setting, I'd become accustomed to the instrumentation lighting up without any action on my part.

Consequently, during times of low light, or on dull/overcast days, I switch the lights to main beam, so that the instrument cluster is illuminated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
My Audi had it when you went in to a tunnel, it lit up for about three seconds then went out.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,051 Posts
Umiamz said:
lupogtiboy said:
How did you do that? I had the auto lock/unlock enabled at work and one door opening, but couldn't find the tear wiping....


It's in Central Electronics along with the locking settings. I can't remember if VCDS actually calls it tear wipe or something else, but it was pretty obvious which setting it was.



Nice one, I'll give that a try later!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Privatedoc said:
sorry if I come across as pedantic...don't mean too

Not at all, its great having the knowledge on the forum. Not the case on all forums.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top