Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would mention an issue I have discovered. When my Up was a couple of months old I heard a noise in the car which sounded like a bolt dropping behind the dashboard.From then on when driving round sharp bends or up and down slopes I would hear something rolling around. My local dealer has now looked at it. The mechanics took the car out and agreed that it sounded like a loose item however they stripped the dashboard and told me today that the back of the dashboard is breaking away and needs replacing. Don't know anything about cars so perhaps this isn't as severe as it sounds but it just wasn't what I expected from a high quality, German built car!

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think VW quality is perceived rather than real. I love my up but it makes weird noises and suffers from wet inside windows. None of my previous cars had "characteristics". So, if anything, i'd say that ups are of below average quality. But i still love ups and I think they represent tremendous value for money.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with you Alan. I loved my up and it was excellent value for money, but after 18 months I started to miss the refinement of a larger car. If my up had been 5 doors, then I think my wife would have swapped it with me for the golf, but as we have a little girl, the 3 doors were an issue.
Having had the Polo for a couple of weeks now I am enjoying the quiet interior and bigger engine. (However I have had to spend lots more money to get there as you have to get a high range Polo to improve upon the up! with regard to engine)
The up certainly has its place and has my full respect, but when they face lift it, they need to add more sound insulation and illuminate all the door switches etc before I would purchase another one. It could easily be much more refined if they added this kind of thing.

I hope you get your dash sorted. I work in the quality dept of a company that makes high reliability electronics for space. Even we get the odd random failure. I expect you have just been unlucky on this occasion.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Don't agree that VW's are below average quality, VW have been top quality since the days of the Beetle, in comparison with most other marques. The engines and bodywork in particular are bombproof.

Yes there will be teething problems with a brand new model, but they can't put them right if they don't get to know about it i.e your damp problem.

Same goes for if your up is making weird noises, unless you mean the normal engine/gearbox noise? the pressure to make engines more efficient/lower emissions/lighter, i.e going to a 3-cylinder is going to have the compromise of a bit more noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts