Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all, thought it was probably about time I started my build thread...So, bear with me, and I'll start uploading some photos :)
Enjoy

Day1:

Small changes from then on in;

Off with the rear badges, and wiper:

A host of bulb changes - Fogs, headlights, DRLs, reverse lights and indicators (MTEC/Nightbreaker Plus Gold/MTEC/LED/Silvervision respectively):

Interior light goes LED, along with LED boot lights hooked up to the interior lights:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
after that little lot came the removal of the aerial - sorry, I forgot to take pictures, but I can provide help if anyone so wishes to do the same!:

Also the rear windows got tinted:

Pressed show plates and euro surrounds went on:

A couple of wheel trial fits then! (Don't judge the stock ride height, I'm still anxiously waiting delivery of my coilovers!:

Keskin KT4s, 17x8/9 staggered, ET 36 - likely the daily wheel :)

then the Porsche Cup 2s (Design 93), 16x9, ET70. Gunna be hard work to get these sat right! Rear sits just fine, front is hella wide, not to fussed as they are only going to be a show wheel (If I can get them on!) but they will need 40mm spacers up front, 30mm rear!:

Final touch for now, and just a small one, I fitted Jetta light switch as I liked the chrome trim. I assume the High Up! and specials have this already?:

from this:

to this:

Also have this fella on order:

Also waiting on the vinyl for the roof, and the tint for the rear screen. One those are on with the lows sorted, were pretty much away, just a refurb and tyres on the Porsche rims if I can squeeze em on!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Love the lights in the boot! Have you already done a detailed how-to on the forum? If not I'd love more info on it.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think there is some info already yea. Unfortunately, again, I didn't take any pictures. I get carried away and forget! Haha. Always happy to go through it again though if you can't find it :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
You can get 9J on the back just fine? what fitment do you think I would need to get the front to "tuck" into the arch and the rear arch to sit in between the tire and the wheel lip at the back when its lowered? I cant figure it out!

Looks good though! those Porsche wheels wold look mint! and the lack of aerial looks cool!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Porsche wheels are now on eBay :( 9" is too much for the front.
Cheers though dude, hopefully more updates coming soon hopefully!
For tuck up front, probably a 7? Then the back, I reckon an 8 at something like ET50 would be getting close?
A 9 on the back, at ET36 pokes roughly 10/15mm. All of this is complete guesswork mind. Once I've got the coils and wheels on, I should be able to make a better stab at it tho!

·
Registered
229 Posts
awh man :( too hard to make work!

its so complicated! my complete guess work came up with

Front - 17x7.5 ET40
Rear - 17x8 ET30

but that was before i knew you could get 9J on the back
When I get the car I might just take it to an alloy place and have a day just trying on wheels... almost like buying a pair of shoes! haha

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Nice 1
!! The funniest pic is number 3 you removed the badge and wiper and your car is spotless where as next to you has a wiper and badge and is filthy haha just shows you don't need them

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
You'll find that the arch roller is a bit too long to get the arches started on an up!. I had to take a rubber hammer to mine to start the bend on the lip, and when it got to 45 degrees, only then could I use the roller.

Also, the metal on the wings is very thin, you'll find the wings bow a long way out when trying to roll the small lip, so you'll have to push them in by hand once you've done with the rolling.

Finally, cut the two tabs off that hold the inner arch liners on at the top. If you don't, the arch will 'wrinkle' either side of the tabs because of the higher resistance of the metal where the tabs are, and you'll end up with a wobbly arch line.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah, nice one, cheers for the heads up :)
I had spotted those pesky tabs and assumed they would have to get binned.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the new gear knob finally turned up, just a subtle change, but I like it :)

For anyone that's interested, here's how it goes...
Starting with the old:

Unclip the gaiter at the bottom and pull upwards, revealing the shaft (fnarr fnarr):

You can see the knob is secured by this metal clip, pinched tight around the shaft:

Using a pair of pliers, or trusty mole grips if you're like me and wish to use the first tool you see, to open the clip out, loosening the knob:

That should do it, just:

The old one can then be pulled off:

The new one slots on in it's place:

Pinch the metal clip shut, FYI, mole grips are not really appropriate, but they kinda worked, slide the gaiter down and clip it back in, et voila:

Happy days! Edited by: Davec86

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally getting round to the good stuff, here's a cheeky sneak preview of what's to come...

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In an ideal world, I'd be laying frame daily. Realistically, there ain't a chance.
That's the rears wound right down, although it's got some settling to do.
I could remove the perches, but to be honest, I think that's as low as it will go without causing me issues with tires/arches.
You'll see that it works though once I've done the front and posted some proper photos ;)

1 - 20 of 176 Posts