Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason, the day mode brightness has been coming on at 6:30am since last week!
Here in Norfolk, there is no sign of day for at least another hour.

I have had to set the day and night brightness levels both to minimum so as not to distract my driving, but then its too dim during the day.

That would be ok if the settings to change them were easy to get to, but you have to dig right down to get them.

I don't think Navigon took into concideration the DST in the UK.

Perhaps I will make a little cover to put over the device (like you do a bird cage..)

rant over....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine works OK change over 7:39 is there not a setting for dst

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ithoughtthat it worked with sunset/sunrise data from the GPS system?

·
Registered
265 Posts
stratcast said:
Ithoughtthat it worked with sunset/sunrise data from the GPS system?

the BMW i'm currently driving has a light sensor built into the rear view mirror, this also means that it turns to night mode when driving under bridges or through tunnels. this of course affects all parts of the interior and exterior lighting.

I would be surprised if the up and MM used different modes, resulting in one being in day mode and the other in night mode at the same time. I would expect they worked together?

Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
22 Posts
good question. My up seems to get hungup on day when it's rather dark but very random. I'd like to know the source of it's decisions........

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I designed it, I would just have it go to night mode when I switch the lights on.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Rednaxela said:
If I designed it, I would just have it go to night mode when I switch the lights on.
Which is exactly what happened with my Qashqai - but I had auto light sensor ... lights on (for whatever reason )= screen goes into night mode. But the up! doesn't have that feature, does it? I have been assuming the light-level change will be triggered by the manual operation of the main light switch? Haven't got mine yet so I can't check that!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really don't know how it works. I actually think it may be a bug in the software, as it had been working quite well up until last week.

I had to use the M&M on a trip without the up, as I have the navigon car charger with traffic connection. Perhaps taking it out of the up changed it somehow.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I haven't noticed anything since the update to 7.10, but I haven't used the Sat Nav part of the M + M recently (I know how to get to work and back again, and the road to Stamford is only three or four miles long!).

I've just switched my unit on and tried a test route. At the moment, it's displaying the daylight screen. I'm indoors and in a darkened room, so it doesn't appear to have a light sensor.

Going by the Met Office website, sundown today for Wittering (http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/wittering?tab=fiveDay), my local RAF station, is going to be 16:44. So, according to this article on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lighting-up_time), lighting-up time is calculated as thirty minutes after the sun sets, which for me will be 17:14. Now whether the M + M relies on the local latitude and longitude picked up from the GPS signals to calculate the time it needs to switch from day to night and vice versa, I don't know. And who is going to sit staring at their M + M to see when that happens? Not me, I'm afraid as I've woken up early and need to get some more sleep before I start my night shift.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts