Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the drl's are much much brighter than the sidelights.
What are the sidelights supposed to be for? Perhaps just when your parked up at the opposite side of the road or something to avoid dazzling others? No idea.....

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
i cant help with this one, never had DRLs, so the fact that they are brighter than the side lights confuse me too...

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't think that having Daylight Running Lights on cars is a good idea. It will make it more difficult to spot the motorcyclists who have been riding around with their lights on for years, in a vain attempt to get car drivers to take notice of them. On my last bike, a Moto Guzzi, you had no choice about the lights being on, but you could choose whether they were dim/dip or dipped beam - I always went with dipped beam. Now it seems that cars are to be treated in the same way, with everyone except cyclists, pedestrians and horse riders having to keep their lights on.

Nick

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd tend to agree with that Collas, being a 2 wheeled rider myself all over Europe it's something that has crossed my mind too.My 1969 Lambretta however let's the rider decide: however this rider tends to have dipped beam and an HV vest on nowadays as car driving standards have definitely got worse in the last 10 years or so IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
They have to be brighter cause they are day light running lights?????
I don't know who came up with the idea of putting them on cars?
Best left to bikes i think????

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yes, I dont know the reasoning behind them? why have DLRs?

·
Registered
123 Posts
isn't it legal in some countries? Maybe made the manufacturing process easier.
I read in the manual i think, DLR are not meant to light the road, and are just to make the car visible, from that i took side lights must have some beam which does more than just make the car more visible. Thats all a guess though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I remember when I was learning to drive my tutor said to put side lights on when driving away from the sun when it's low so cars coming opposite can you in the brith sun. Maybe somat to do with that?!

·
Registered
421 Posts
There's a special trick in the Polo manual to switch them off, I haven't tried it because I didn't want to risk them not coming back on again!!Edited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
109 Posts
i blew the fuse for them, its one fuse for the DRL and two separates for the left/right sidelight. when the DRL was blown it caused no other issues so i guess you could pull the fuse if you dont like them.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Is there not a new European directive that all cars registered after a certain date have to have them???

·
Registered
315 Posts
I should think the main advantage is to help pedestrians see oncoming vehicles. Not all of us have brilliant eyesight.

Another thing is that in this country some people seem to have an aversion to turning lights on at all. Some don't use them in low light conditions, some don't use them in fog, some don't turn them on at dusk. some don't even turn them on after it's gone dark.A lot of these people are just forgetful but an awful lot seem to think they are running their batteries down. This has been passed on to them by their Great-Grandparents who were correct back in the early 1900's. Maybe education is the answer, don't they teach them anything these days?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think you are right privatedoc, i remember hearing something along those lines.
Also, I find the main reason I turn my sidelights on is when its getting to dusk so I can see all my dials etc.

I am an ex motorcyclist (Couldn't afford to run both) but I kinda like the idea of DRL, it does make you a bit easier to see for your average dosy monday morning motorist!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Collas said:
I don't think that having Daylight Running Lights on cars is a good idea. It will make it more difficult to spot the motorcyclists who have been riding around with their lights on for years, in a vain attempt to get car drivers to take notice of them.
Daytime lights on a bike are a very good idea, but too many biklists turn on every light and on full beam, so you can't look ahead when a bike is approaching, and you just hope you are steering straight ahead despite not having a clue what that blaze of light ahead is. It can't be safe.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
Flashing lights on bicycles get my attention....perhaps cars??? :)

On another note, I occasionally resort to a green flashing light on the roof......nobody takes any notice of that though!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Flashing lights on bicycles get my attention....perhaps cars??? :)
Flashing lights might be a good idea.

Privatedoc said:
On
another note, I occasionally resort to a green flashing light on the
roof......nobody takes any notice of that though!

They might not know what it means. I know police, fire, ambulance/doctor, bomb squad and coastguard are allowed a light on an otherwise unmarked car, goodness knows what colour is which.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts