Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have leased cars for our small business now for 15 years - one large and one small!. For years we leased citroens. The last being a crosser and C1. This time we changed to BMW x3 and VW High UP.

Whilst the Up is much more refined drive than the C1 the real crunch for us is the NONE switchable traction control. In winter it becomes impossible to get up the hill to our house even with a slight covering of snow - the power to both drive wheels is cut off!! its impossible to rev. The C1 in the same conditions just sailed up. Its a pity but we certainly wont be having another.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Coming from a contry (Slovenia) where we have a LOT more snow, and a LOT more hills....i findthat hard to believe. I recommend that you visit some driving school....how to drive in ice and snow conditions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am an advanced driver have drinen on snow regularly in Norway and Iceland!!!
The UP in snow without the ability to turn off the traction control is USELESS!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I googled this and found you can disable TC on VW UP, but its not thru a button:

<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">1) Turn ignition on, don't start the car yet
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">2) Turn on the hazard lights
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">3) Press the gas pedal down to the floor - 5 times
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">4) You should hear a beep and voila - I guess that bothESP & TC are off. TPMS diode should blink, ESP should stay lit.
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">5) Turn the engine on.

edit: it was "jtgs" on this forum actually that posted it :D
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/esp-off_topic6218_page2.html

Edited by: AnAnAn

·
Registered
75 Posts
AnAnAn said:
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">3) Press the gas pedal down to the floor - 5 times
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">4) You should hear a beep and voila - I guess that bothESP & TC are off. TPMS diode should blink, ESP should stay lit.
Nope - tried this, and nothing happened (2015 High Up!)

Dave

·
Registered
206 Posts
[/QUOTE]

Nope - tried this, and nothing happened (2015 High Up!)

Dave

[/QUOTE]
this worked, during winter i used the technique on a regular basis, however, if there is no slip altogether it will switch back to having tcs and esp back on. so all i have done is cut a wire for the abs sensor on the back to fully cut tcs and abs so i can easily induce BIG SKIDZ!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
SAMF2204 said:
wyd the quote thing not work..
Quote works for me ...

Clicked on the "quote" button in yr message, then added new line before writing my message

Simples
Edited by: dash

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That is a shame. When I had a Ford Ka (old style, teapot or dumping dog shape) , I would sail up snow covered hills with ease, passing stuck German barges. The front wheel drive and light weight meant I could climb sloping snow covered roads. Fortunately we have not had snow for 4 years ...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Shack said:
AnAnAn said:
This sounds like the secret option Benetton illegally installed in their F1 car used by Schumacher when Traction control was banned... though in that case it was to turn it on.

I'll have to try it now just to see if it deactivates on my 2014 model [Up not F1 car]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts