Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted about the hiccups with my order elsewhere on this forum, but I think it's worth restating in a topic of its own and this is my message: if you have been looking at the forum you almost certainly know more than your dealer, and even if you don't, never take what they say as gospel! My dealer told me two days after I put in my order that I could make no changes because "my order had gone to Status 10."

After seeing how many people on here had made changes after ordering I went back today (after two months waiting) and told him that I was sure he could still make changes. "No, once it's gone to Status code 10 you can't alter it," he said. 'Let me take a look." Cue lots of mouse agitation and frowning. Then he makes a phone call and frowns some more. More clicks. "The thing is," he says finally, "as long as it's still on Status Code 10 we should be able to change it." (!!!!!)

My brain whirrs. Surely that is the exact opposite of what he's been telling me. I decide it's best not to rub it in. He knows and I know, and I'm getting the car I decided I wanted during the long weeks of waiting.

I've never bought a new car before, and I guess there are a few people on the forum in the same boat. I thought it would be different from buying a new router in Currys where the assistant knows absolutely nothing about it but will cheerfully give you wrong information. Well, they give you coffee in the car showroom, and they want a lot more of your hard-earned cash (though they'd prefer to lend it to you!) but it seems to me it's not that different. I've watched the Apprentice. Why did I think it would be???

Good luck to you all!

·
Registered
421 Posts
You should be able to change the spec of the car almost until the time it goes to build and status 10 just accepts that the car will be built.

My dealer is terrible and it's clearhe knows nothing about the car, questions thatare asked from things I learn from here are being ignored but I know another person from here that have ordered from the same dealer who asks and get's the information straight away as he deals with another sales person there. It just appears to be a lottery.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That is so totally true yapmaul. I don't really know why I expected something special from my dealer just because I'm buying my first brand new car but I definitely feel let down by the experience.

Not sure I'd do it again.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That's a shame, Clowesa. I could safely say that if you want a far better experience you should head for Barnetts in Dundee........though it isn't exactly local for you!!

Fantastic staff and showroom, always good clear advice even to the extent of talking you out of options that they don't think you need. Even get to look at their order board in the showroom which details where your car is 'status wise' and how many they have left to sell from this year's allocation (none!).

·
Registered
142 Posts
clowesa said:
That is so totally true yapmaul. I don't really know why I expected something special from my dealer just because I'm buying my first brand new car but I definitely feel let down by the experience.

Not sure I'd do it again.
Ditto (same dealer)

·
Registered
956 Posts
whassup said:
That's a shame, Clowesa. I could safely say that if you want a far better experience you should head for Barnetts in Dundee........though it isn't exactly local for you!!

Fantastic staff and showroom, always good clear advice even to the extent of talking you out of options that they don't think you need. Even get to look at their order board in the showroom which details where your car is 'status wise' and how many they have left to sell from this year's allocation (none!).
Tell you what whassup, next time I decide to buy a new car it'd be worth a holiday (or 2) in Dundee just to order from such a good dealer. Always wanted to come see RSS Discovery anyway but just not got around to it yet.

Wish all VW dealers had such glowing praise from customers (VW Leeds take note if you're reading this)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Gilders in Sheffield have been spot on with me so far, answered all my questions and been straight with me about the wait. From the information on this forum I've no questions or doubtsas to what they've told me and I get weekly text messages to inform me of the cars status with additional ones if anything changes in themean time.

The only issue is I haven't got the car yet, although I did get a text yesterday to say they'd started building it, but I guess most of us are in the same boat. Some of us literally!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The way things are going it might be built before I get this car! The dealer told me today they are telling new customers December! Looks very cool though. Soon every seaside town will have a new art gallery.

Move up! BMT Tornado Red. Sound pack Spare wheel. Ordered March 16 Build week 24. Expected mid-late July

·
Registered
212 Posts
yapmaul said:
The way things are going it might be built before I get this car! The dealer told me today they are telling new customers December! Looks very cool though. Soon every seaside town will have a new art gallery.

Move up! BMT Tornado Red. Sound pack Spare wheel. Ordered March 16 Build week 24. Expected mid-late July

That's crazy!! As I told you yesterday, I rang Rotherham VW and they are quoting 12 weeks for new orders and that they are beginning to see dealer stock around (dealer ordered new vehicles), they have a cancelled order being built this week and are expecting more in from dealer orders.

Unless you want options this might be the way to go for anyone who hasn't yet ordered.

·
Registered
956 Posts
whassup said:
Well by the time you'll be thinking of changingyour car it may well be that the V&A's new museum will be built beside the Discovery. It's going to be a spectacular building built out onto the river (plus Barnetts is just 2 mins along the road!!)

http://vandaatdundee.com/your-future/the-winner-is/

Wow, looks absolutely stunning and definitely worth a visit when it opens. That's another port of call to add to our "things to do in the UK" list. And it could be perfect timing too. Set to open in 2015, three years down the line and just when my up! finance finishes and I have to decided whether to keep, ditch or swap

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Manacee said:
yapmaul said:

That's crazy!! As I told you yesterday, I rang Rotherham VW and they are quoting 12 weeks for new orders and that they are beginning to see dealer stock around (dealer ordered new vehicles), they have a cancelled order being built this week and are expecting more in from dealer orders.

Unless you want options this might be the way to go for anyone who hasn't yet ordered.
It's interesting isn't it? They told me this morning that there was 'no surplus stock anywhere.' What does 'anywhere' mean I wonder? Different regions clearly have very different allocations/demand and just out of interest I have emailed VW to ask them to explain how their system works. As it turns out I feel happy now that I am getting what I want, and to find the sound pack without M and M in a stock car is probably unlikely.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I was at the up! launch at Barnetts. They had a very good Beatles tribute band, the 'Stig' drove one of the new Beetles into the showroom (carefully!), and there was unlimited beer, wine, soft drinks and nibbles........pity I went on my own and was forced to drink orange juice

·
Registered
212 Posts
'No surplus stock anywhere' but a quick visit to VW used cars and there's 67 sat there nationally from £7,590 to £12,000.

Granted they are 'used' but most seem to have barely more than delivery mileage. A lot of them have an 'available in x days' against them which for some run into weeks. Are these cancelled orders I wonder? You might assume that a used vehicle would be available straight away?

Is it that your dealer (or the person you're dealing with) wants the sale and has no cars in stock, denying that any other dealer might have some? Sounds like 'anywhere' might be their forecourt!

I bet you were gutted about the OJ whassup!

·
Registered
423 Posts
You have no idea! It's very hard for a Scotsman to have to turn down free beer

·
Registered
24 Posts
The cars on the used vehicle list with the note available in x days will be demo stock. Dealers are not allowed to "sell" demo stock for a number of months. IRC it 3 months.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can only imagine whassup

Makes you wonder why they put demo cars on the site so soon?

There were some available in a matter of days to.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
But an almost identical car to mine with 2k on the clock costs almost £300 more than mine allowing for adjustments to the spec. I noticed on Auto trader too that there are used cars selling for more than RRP Maybe it's going to be like house prices used to be! There are jokes to be made but I won't make them . . .

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just had a call from the survey people about my purchase of the up. Don't know if it makes any difference but just be honest when they call. If you have had a really bad experience I would imagine VW would look into it. My experience was ok, not perfect, but ok.

·
Registered
421 Posts
R1ch said:
Just had a call from the survey people about my purchase of the up. Don't know if it makes any difference but just be honest when they call. If you have had a really bad experience I would imagine VW would look into it. My experience was ok, not perfect, but ok.
It goes back to the dealer and boy do they get stroppy when it's not favourable!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts