Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it froze on its first big trip and has been fine since then. But today.....

The screen went dark with lines across it and then went blank.

The little reboot button does not work & it cannot be kick-started from the PC via USB.

Dealer less than helpful tbh. They started with the dopey customer routine ie have you pressed it in firmly etc.

They want the car in to plug in the diagnostic kit which they say will identify the problem.

Electronics - great when they are working properly!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Sounds rubber ducked....why can't they just supply a new unit?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Privatedoc said:
Sounds rubber ducked....why can't they just supply a new unit?

This is my view too - I did question why they need to have the whole car in when the unit is obviously knackered.

Personally I'll be amazed if the diagnostics can find what is wrong wit the thing.

Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Good luck! They should justreplace the M&M unit...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bigger mystery now!

Started car this morning and it came back on like nothing had ever happened!

·
Registered
705 Posts
You've got Gremlins!

Nick

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Collas said:
You've got Gremlins!

Nick

Will let my wife know in case it's catching!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Maybe a connection problem in the stalk and the unit just ran out of batteries? But if you are more clever then the average UK person e.g. not knowing how to switch a computer one let alone set up a no-brainer satnav, which I think you are, this would not be the problem. I've just heard plenty about these black screens with lines when I was working for the technical support of a car satnav manufacturer

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update.

Carried out full charge vis USB from PC.

Placed in car and left in standby mode.

Battery discharged fully in way less than a day. Weirdly as it got to a low battery level it was trying to connect to the mobile phone in the house. Odd! Any ideas on this one?

When in the cradle it shows the charging signal so I presume the car side of things is ok.

Our verdict is that the unit is not holding its charge properly.

It's in at the dealership on Mon pm so I'll update then.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Our normal Navigon sat nav never did hold a decent charge, but works fine attached to the car.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update.

Finally got to dealers today.

The service receptionist had told us that the car needed to be plugged into the diagnostics to assess the M&M.

The electronics guy disagreed with this! It wasn't plugged in so we assume that it is not part of the diagnostic system.

First thing the technician says is - that'll be the stalk not mounted properly.

We politely informed him that that was not the case - he still went and checked but came back and agreed with us.

Cue long and detailed explanation from lovely wife and I re the fault and our own observations and the fella was 100% stumped.

He first wanted the unit for testing to do a factory reset but to avoid to-ing and fro-ing we asked how to do it, he gave instructions and we have come home to carry them out and see what happens following this. Not optimistic tbh.

During the conversation our original salesman came over and joined in and with great candour admitted that everyone was pretty clueless regarding the unit re fault tracing and resolution!!!

You've been warned!

Will keep you posted.

NB: we are of the opinion that a few years down track the head unit will probably die just like the average pc/laptop and we'll have to buy the Mk2/Mk3 etc version to replace it.

Not a chance in **** of these things lasting the decade or so that we will be keeping the car.

Edited by: VWXYZ

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bit fed up now. Have no confidence re getting this sorted quickly. Technician has submitted report to VW. He has ruled out the car side of things but I honestly do not think he has grasped the problem.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Bloody ****.....time for VW uk to step in and replace unit methinks.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RESULT!

Dealership have just rang my lovely wife and they are replacing the unit! Yippeeeee!

Going to get it 4pm today!

·
Registered
265 Posts
VWXYZ said:
RESULT!

Dealership have just rang my lovely wife and they are replacing the unit! Yippeeeee!

Going to get it 4pm today!
Good result, but methinks it shouldn't have taken so long to get there

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New unit collected - setting it up now.

3 round trips a total of 120 miles to sort.

And....not a word of apology for the inconvenience. Just handed over by the unsmiling Senior Technician. Sadly I don't expect much from car service departments and they lived up to my low expectations.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts