Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my Up since September and I love it!!

I got it through the Solutions finance package with VW and at the time I was not doing alot of miles so limited it to 5K per annum.

It is now looking likely that I will be getting a nice new job, but it will mean my annual milage being triple to what I am doing now - so 15K rather than 5K

I called VW and I cannot alter the mileage on my agreement, so if I kept myUP on the current agreement I would have to hand over £1100 at the end with the excess miles.

The alternative is to swap it for another VW and take out another agreement - I have £6311.82 left to pay and I think the car is worth around £7500 - £7800 so I have around £1200 - £1500 to play with.

What should I do????

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you like the new groove or rock UP! it could be a chance to get one of those.. Or try and stick it out to get a GT but I'm not sure when they will be available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not sure if that many miles will be too much for the UP do I swap it for something bigger?? Polo or Golf?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it I've ordered my UP! (and mine will be running on CNG not petrol so supposedly the engine will last less if you take it to the last breath) and I do about 25-30000 km a year which is something like 15-18000 miles. So I wouldn't worry about it... Got 180.000km out of my GPunto 1.2 running on LPG and that is a FIAT ;)

And it's still got some in it :) It's just time to change the poor thing :) Other bits are comming apart mind being a FIAT but the engine is holding on ok...

Edited by: scarja

·
Registered
957 Posts
If you like the car why not just keep it and carry on with your current agreement.
When the three years are up take out a small loan to buy it.
When it's yours it shouldn't matter how many miles you have done.
I would think they only add the mileage charge if they have it back but you could check this with them if this appeals to you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My agreement sees my car doing 20k per year and so far she's handling it fine. I've had her just over a month and she has already done 1,250 miles.Edited by: twinklybee

·
Registered
202 Posts
and if you do swap for bigger, swap for a golf not a polo... i really don't think the polo is worth the difference from a up unless you go for the bigger engine sizes like 1.6 diesel..

·
Registered
811 Posts
Derkie54 said:
If you like the car why not just keep it and carry on with your current agreement.
When the three years are up take out a small loan to buy it.
When it's yours it shouldn't matter how many miles you have done.
I would think they only add the mileage charge if they have it back but you could check this with them if this appeals to you.

Derkie54 is correct. The mileage is only an issue if you hand the car back. If you sell it or pay to keep it, the mileage is immaterial.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Finnster said:
I am not sure if that many miles will be too much for the UP do I swap it for something bigger?? Polo or Golf?
There's plenty of Lupos with impressive mileages.
Especially on the 3L versions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My only issue with the mileage was the excess I would have to pay on the contract, could be well over £1000, I am more than confident she could cope with all the mileageI could throw at her.

I really dont want to get rid of her, both myself and my wife adore the UP, I think what I may do is use my wifes CMAX (Gulp....I hate that car with a passion) for my business trips and just run it into the ground, its a 2ltr Auto so wont take long!

The leave my UP for all the little local trips and general pootling to keep the mileage down.

It will then have minimal mileage on, as I will probably want to swap it in a couple of years when the finance deal ends - probably for another UP - GT possibly!!

Fingers still crossed for a company car though and get rid of the CMAX!!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Finster. Sounds like a good plan! At least that way, you could keep your Up! in good condition, and then swap the C-MAX for something decent when it dies.

Matt

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it seems I am going to get either a Skoda Octavia Estate or Toyota Prius (its a Eco company!)so we are going to sell the Cmax - Hooray!!!!

And keep the UP for local journeys/pootling.

Really pleased, I was gutted thinking that I would have to sell my little UP, so was the wife.

Thanks for all your advice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Go with the Octavia is my advice. You really don't want a Prius. A diesel Octavia is better all round and much more economical in the real world.

I'm pleased you get to keep the Up.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know that I will get a choice - whats wrong with the Prius?

I will pay less company car tax on the Prius, don't know much about either really - apart from Jeremy Clarkson hates a Prius!

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with Allybasher, the Octavia is a far better choice! I've driven loads of Auris Hybrids, and found that a good diesel (which of course it is), is streets ahead on fuel economy. Unless you are doing lots of town driving, which it doesn't sound like you will be, then the Prius makes sense, in the stop/start traffic. It excels in the city, but on the motorway, your 99% of the time going to be using the 1.8 petrol engine, which isn't that efficient.
I've seen as little as 35 - 40 MPG on some trips, which is very poor in my opinion!

So to re-cap, go for the diesel, you won't regret it!

Matt

P.S. Good news about the CMAX!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Finnster said:
Don't know that I will get a choice - whats wrong with the Prius?
Test drive one, and see if you like it.

The driving experience is rather errr .... detached.
The CVT gearbox can get on your nerves too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can guarantee that the one that I want is the one that I wont get (Sods Law) !!!!!!!!

So I definitely want a Prius!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Having had a Prius Spirit I can only say its the most complicated and uneconomical car ever built its frankly horrible just built to appease the Calafornian tree huggers.

·
Registered
583 Posts
collos25 said:
Having had a Prius Spirit I can only say its the most complicated and uneconomical car ever built its frankly horrible just built to appease the Calafornian tree huggers.
Well, it just wasn't for you then

Who on earth ever decided to make a special series called Prius "Spirit" anyway ?

There's plenty of people happily using them, but it's got to fit your ideas about motoring - undercooled transport from A to B.
If you expect anything spirited then it's simply not your car.

The Prius isn't economical due to its sheer price, but they can be driven using very little fuel - if you care to use them the way Toyota intended them to be used.

·
Registered
124 Posts
What was that leave them in the garage,many cars of the same size and cost are far more economical to run except if you do not go over 20mph and they are so complicated .My Up obviously is more economical and I am sure an Octavia diesel will be too.Having owned a Prius and used in mixed driving I can only say it was an awful experience never to be repeated.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts