Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What nice/nasty things have people said about your up.

So far the haters at my work have come up with some great ones. I don't mind them because I know how great a car it is!

So I quote. (in a thicko Geordie accent)

"does it have a reverse gear or do you just keep turning the steering wheel round"

"can you wash it on 30 degree"

"are you fitting eyelashes to it"

"Is that a trial size, when do you get the full one"

"You should keep the box it came in to add value"

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been asked when I'm graduating to a proper car, this from a colleague that doesn't even have a driving license never mind owning a car.

My usual response to any comments is to mention the actual MPG (around 60 for me) I'm getting out of a petrol car, that and the £20 a year VED. I bought it knowing exactly what I was getting looks (well I wasn't entirely sure how Mayan blue would look) and performance wise. With what I'm saving on car tax, insurance, repairs etc I'm spending just £50pcm over my previous budget. Although this will go up next year. This for a new car versus my 10 year old Octavia VRS the up! replaced. I don't know how people can't understand/appreciate this. I suspect most of it's jealously due to them not having a nice shiny new 14 plate car.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well I dont have my UP! yet but I am coming from a mini and have heard most comments over the years and they go over me like water on a ducks back
. Just smile and let them carry on.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Just Laugh.......all the way to the bank!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I already toldthis in another thread ...

Have my up! since Friday ...
On the discounter car park an unknown man came to me and said:
"What a gorgeous car!" ...

I have had my 17 BHP Kawasaki Estrella since 16 years now - so, nothing can shock me.

mpg, tax, insurance are good arguments ...
I also have M&M and the senor pack. More comfort than many bigger cars.
And I get a parking place where others have to keeo on searching ...

But keep on with these funny quotes!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looked a bit for other comments but didn't see your post. I enjoy it. I give as good as I get. Especially the looks when a 6 foot 8 chap gets out of it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I first bought my white Groove Up! and took it to work one of my colleagues said "It looks like one of Barbara Cartland's shoes!" I didn't know whether to take it as a compliment or not.

Most comments have been good though and particularly when people have actually ridden in it. If I do get any derogatory comments I just let them know it was recentlyvoted the cheapest car to run on the market, based on full consumption, tax and residual value.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I told my German colleagues: (DARK BLACK HUMOR!!!)
"My uncle already drove a Chzech vehicle in 1944 - a Hetzer tank. So, a Slovakian car can't be wrong. And the VW Kübelwagen brought our grandfathers to El Alamein and Stalingrad. It wasn't bigger than my up! ..."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The kubelwagen. What a beast! At least they came with a spare

·
Super Moderator
1,051 Posts
When I put up on facebook I was getting an Up!, my mate said

'are you buying another one and skating to work?!'

tho I got my own back the other day when I saw him and said I was getting 55mpg average and £20 to tax it! His modded mk2 golf does about 15 mpg and is £220 to tax! LOL!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
xooophoto said:
"Is that a trial size, when do you get the full one"
That is a good one to be fair.

In terms of people saying negative things about my car? Funnily enough it was the females at my work who mocked it when I got it, all the guys liked the idea of a modified Up!

Although my favorite was when I was in town and a woman walked past and said to her friend, ''That's a nice car'' Then went silent and blushed when I unlocked it and got into it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
crazy fools! what do they know! mwahh hahh ah hah!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Perhaps it's the people I know but I've had nothing but positive comments so far, especially from those who have been a passenger

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
There is a great line in the film Mrs Doubtfire where robin williams sees pierce brosnans huge mercedes and mutters ' big car, do you think he's compensating for something?'

·
Registered
77 Posts
Privatedoc said:
There is a great line in the film Mrs Doubtfire where robin williams sees pierce brosnans huge mercedes and mutters ' big car, do you think he's compensating for something?'
In the (1987) film "Wish You Were Here"(loosely based on the memoirs of Cynthia Payne) (who ran sex parties in Streatham) the protagonists use the abbreviation BCSD - Big Car Small D*ck.

·
Registered
325 Posts
christgill said:
In the (1987) film "Wish You Were Here"(loosely based on the memoirs of Cynthia Payne) (who ran sex parties in Streatham) the protagonists use the abbreviation BCSD - Big Car Small D*ck.

Well I personally have an enormous ... respect for what VW have done with this car :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think the UP looks like a very tidy car, but I've had a few people describe it as a 'girls' car which is is just total nonsense.

No such thing as a 'girls' car, they are just comparing a small city car to, say, a diesel designed to cruise on a motorway.

Besides, as others have said, this car costs literally nothing to run (assuming things don't go wrong with it). I don't drive mine too often but I've only filled up maybe 2 times since buying it in February? 60+ mpg on av. means I can afford to spend my money on other things, like holidays and engagement rings. Also, no borrowing for me = no debt. I'm free financially in large part due to picking up my high up second hand for next to nothing.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Costs a month were important to me too. The additional 250 a month is going on a mortgage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts