Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is coming over this afternoon, with his new toy

Between us we pretty much have most of the kit needed (I think) to get it looking reasonable. Apparently the only thing we don't have is clay.

Parts of the car are better than others. The plastic bits are all very dull and not as red as the rest of the car. And the paint is dull in places too!

What can he do to improve it? If we can sort it out, I've got him some Supagard and we have a few different types of Auto Glym Wax. He also has a great big bag of Auto Glym products.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks x

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'm no expert but basically

wash
cleanse
clay
polish
wax

in that order

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
ps nice toy

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I remember the url, but there is a site called something like detailing world... that will probably have all the info/advice you would need!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I'm no expert but basicallywash
cleanse
clay
polish
wax
in that order
I'd agree with that. Cleanse step would be tar/fall out removal. AG do a tar removal that is OK (there are much better available online, Tardis for example). Fall out removers are only available online (Iron X, Purple Rain etc). Bear in mind that you can skip the cleanse and go straight to the clay (claying will remove tar and fallout), but its better for the paint if you cleanse chemically rather than physically.

If you don't have any clay, the kit available from Halfords is pretty good -http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_253057_langId_-1_categoryId_255233 (but again cheaper and arguably better options are available online)

Use SRP (Super Resin Polish) for the polish step. Less in more with this product. If you end up getting a lot of dust when buffing off then you are probably using too much. For the wax step use AG HD Wax or EGP (Extra Gloss Protection)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for all your help.  over 4 hours later, both cars had a Supagard and the red beast had a wax too, was too sunny to do mine. 
Red come up a treat, still got problems with the plastic bits, but thats for another day

and mine, which to be honest, is really hard to take a pic of the quality of the shine, because of the reflections. But hey, was pretty impressed with the Supagard, easy on and easy off, was expecting it to be more difficult.  Wheels and interior done too!

Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
304 Posts
Nice up black! Shiny shiny shy!

Sorry to hijack, but I am having a local detailer come out tomorrow to try and correct the **** cat scratches all over my new up! Black bonnet. I hope he can sort them out! If not I will be gutted as it will mean a respray of a month old car!. My new cat defender PIR activated scarer seems to be doing the trick at the moment, the neighbours four, yes four, cats are being kept clear... Here's to scratch free glossy shiny cars... Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh Mark, I do hope he can sort it out for you, please let us know.

So how exactly does your new piece of kit scare the cats? Sounds intriguing. I guess you decided against the turbo water shooter

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I found a karcher pressure washer did the trick.....on the cats not the car!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have been, out water squirting the cats regularly, but you can see why the dog is mans best friend... The cats have the momory span/ intelect of a gold fish.... "Oh there's that man with a super soaker... Hello man with a super soaker, hey hes squirting water at me, better run off his car" the next day "hey there's that man with a super soaker" etc etc ad infinitum...

So I have the defender, it's activated with movement as the cat moves towards my bonnet, the device placed in the ground towards the front of my car, emits an ultrasonic scarer that only cats/ dogs etc can hear. I turn it off during the day as the car isn't there. But it seems to working... The next step was going to be an electric Matt that shocks the cat if they jump onto it... We shall see, still an option...

Any one for BBQed cat?
Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol maybe you should change your forum name to 'the man with a super soaker!'

Well as long as its working, all is good. Not ideal to have to put a mat on your bonnet I'm guessing Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
304 Posts
They are plastic, search for scat mat... Nice video of a dog finding out that jumping onto his owners mac keyboard is a no no... Badddd doogg!

Must admit I was getting a bit like the green keeper in the film 'caddy shack' where he becomes obsessed with stopping the gopher damaging the golf course greens!Edited by: Markmod1

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh I see. All I would say is, unless it covers the whole bonnet and it attached somehow I would be worried about freaking the cat out and causing more scratches. The theory is good, but stupid people, do they not think cats and dogs can jump? Fancy buying a small strip and putting it on the floor. In some cases the cat freaked and jumped into the room they shouldnt go in

·
Registered
304 Posts
bugbabe34 said:
stupid people, do they not think cats and dogs can jump? Fancy buying a small strip and putting it on the floor. In some cases the cat freaked and jumped into the room they shouldnt go in
Yes I thought that too., a single strip wouldnt do me... I would want an up! Sized one!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No Scoop. I didn't think I needed to clay and try as I might to convince my 21 year old son that he needed to, he wasn't convinced. I think he was just being a tight arse and as he had everything else, he just didn't want to spend any money.

His car looked 100% better (apart from the plastic bits). Obviously couldn't see so much of a difference with mine, shiny to a bit more shiny lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
You will always be surprised how much you get off with clay. Jap paint is quite soft so need a mild one and well priced is the Bilt Hammer. You should get five pieces out of it which will last ages. Have a look at the tutorials on you tube or detailing world forum. Try the sandwich bag test on different parts of the car before and after ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
If he doesn't want to spend his money then get the smooth peanut butter out on the plastic trim. Works great.Edited by: Scoop77

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Scoop, will pass that on. He's having a run what you brung day today, trying to get down the quarter mile in 15 seconds. Keeps texting with updates.

Woke up this morning to find that hubby had already applied a nice coat of HD Wax to my baby (before it got too hot!) bless him.He is good to me sometimes. So all done for a while x

1 - 20 of 21 Posts