Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking into what small changes I can do to my up when it arrives. One I am looking at doing is changing the front indicator bulbs so that they look silver when they are not lit.

One other one I am thinking of is doing the same to the side indicators. Does anyone know what bulbs they are and how you would go about changing them?

·
Registered
73 Posts
For side indicator repeater bulbs, you'll need something like this:
http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t5-chrome-side-indicatorrepeater-bulbs-501c-465-p.asp

To remove, they should simply be pushed in one direction (one way should be under a spring pressure, the other way no movement). Use a bic biro lid or something similar to not damage anything. Once it has "slid" forward, it should simply pop out, and then you will see the securing spring clip...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I think the inside of the repeater is yellow, not the bulb, so you might be stuck with it yellow!

Anyone know for sure?

I had a quick look at one on a citigo before.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have got the new bulbs for the front indicators. Are the standard headlight bulbs that bad that they need upgrading as it seems quite a few members are upgrading the bulbs?

·
Registered
727 Posts
mogwai said:
Are the standard headlight bulbs that bad that they need upgrading as it seems quite a few members are upgrading the bulbs?

There's nothing really "bad" about the standard headlight bulbs but if you want more and whiter light then you upgrade. You'll notice the difference immediately if you change one bulb first and do a comparison.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
There are many posts on the forum about bulbs. Use the search tool at the top of the page. These posts contain links to suppliers and eBay and pics of those who have already done it

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have seen the ones about which bulbs people are getting but none them explain if the standard bulbs are sufficient or not.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The side indicators already have a nice little silver trim cover inside, so I'm not changing mine. I changed the front indicators to silver visions though as I really didn't like the standard bulbs..

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went for the Philips Silver vision bulbs for the front indicators. All I need is the car.

·
Registered
421 Posts
mogwai said:
I have seen the ones about which bulbs people are getting but none them explain if the standard bulbs are sufficient or not.
Erm.......well you can see with, and be seen with the lights it comes with if that's what you mean!

I'd like to change the bulbs but too worried about the legalities of it all and also there's been so many times I've come down a dark road and a car has come the other way with lights that dazzle. Not sure I'd want to be the dazzler

Edited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Completely agree with Zumbaqueen. Of course the lights are adequate, don't think the cars would be allowed on the road otherwise.

If for any reason you need brighter lights or just want them, then that's personal preference

·
Registered
727 Posts
ZumbaQueen said:
I'd like to change the bulbs but too worried about the legalities of it all and also there's been so many times I've come down a dark road and a car has come the other way with lights that dazzle. Not sure I'd want to be the dazzler

Philips Blue Vision, Bosch Plus 90, MTEC Super Whiteand the Osram Night Breaker Plus are all Eurozone legal (even states it on the packaging). As far as dazzling oncoming drivers there shouldn't be a problem as long as your headlamps are properly adjusted.

Edited by: vwild1

·
Registered
467 Posts
Few days ago I checked side turn indicators, the plastic where white bulb is fitted is amber color. Only way to get it white is to buy VW LED side indicators on ebay or to wrap it like RasmusTJ did.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts