Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone enlighten me as to why the 2020 e-Up! has a bigger aerial than the other Up! models and what is different about the e-Up! aerial over the standard aerial?

·
Registered
518 Posts
All manufacturers try to standardise common parts as we are in the age of 'over air' software updates, GPS, tracking etc the kit has to work harder, carry more etc etc.......

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just guessing. But I don't see why over-air updates actually need 5G... I mean, updates shouldn't need to be real time, or at speed of many Mb/s, unless that is part of autonomous driving. If so, I'm even more put off by autonomous cars, 'cos that sounds a fragile approach....but I kinda thought they were 'self contained' bar real time GPS (which doesn't need a high bit rate)..... So, I'm still puzzled...

Theory 2 - you can get more gain from a longer antenna - going from e.g. 1/8 wavelength to 1/4 or 1/2 (bearing in mind that on a metal roof a monopole works as a dipole). That means you may get a better signal for lower frequency transmissions, but I have no idea what they'd be. I mean, FM is around 89-108 MHz, phones are 800-2000 MHz, IIRC. And AM is all but dead, so what is new, needing a bigger aerial? My car came with DAB, and both it and FM work excellently even in places where previous cars I had had no apparent signal....

Puzzled. Maybe it's the look of the thing.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I still think you're right. 5G is future proofing the car. Imagine the stink (after cov19 has settled into the back ground) if your VW Group car won't pick up 5G, I can see it now. The new 3i will certainly be updated every night, trying to keep up with Elon 😁.Our cars just got it as part of a group wide roll out. JLR group rolled in out across all models for 20model Yr

·
Registered
319 Posts
Maybe, but wouldn't a phone app just use the usual bluetooth (2.4GHz) to communicate with the car, and get its own data from the internet via mobile data or wifi?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Can someone enlighten me as to why the 2020 e-Up! has a bigger aerial than the other Up! models and what is different about the e-Up! aerial over the standard aerial?
I take it you mean like this (2018 model). The shark fin antenna is for DAB and the roughly 20mm long antenna is for FM (it unscrews too). Not sure which is used for its internet (We Connect etc) but prolly the long one.

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, maybe, but UK DAB is at 225.648 MHz - i.e. only about double FM frequencies, so there is no need for any different aerial configuration. Come to that, my 2019 Citigo came with DAB (which works brilliantly) and yet it has a fairly standard-looking aerial which is about 7-8" long and the base is the simple "slanted cone shape" commonly seen on lots of VAG cars. I assume the shark-fin base must be for some other feature that I don't have!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I still think you're right. 5G is future proofing the car. Imagine the stink (after cov19 has settled into the back ground) if your VW Group car won't pick up 5G, I can see it now. The new 3i will certainly be updated every night, trying to keep up with Elon 😁.Our cars just got it as part of a group wide roll out. JLR group rolled in out across all models for 20model Yr
If there any 5G masts left after they have all been burnt down by David Icke's disciples.

5G what a load of BS! There are still areas (including where I live in rural North Yorkshire) where you can't even get a phone signal let alone 2G.

I remember going to Austria 20 years ago and being able to get a phone signal everywhere.

·
Registered
319 Posts
But if you live in the cities, and have spare cash, phone calls will only take 1/4 of the time on 5G, and you can watch "The Terminator" for the seven-hundredth time in ten minutes flat, but of course, the Chinese Red Army will know when you are expected home for dinner....

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
It's nothing to do with 5G reception as the E-Up was around quite a while before 5G was even a 'thing'. Its so the Car net app can connect to the car to set-up pre-heating the car, charge times, setting the sat nav etc....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes, I was pretty sure it's not a 5G thing, as above.
If it's to do with Car Net, the antenna is likely to contain 2 or more stub aerials in a MIMO array for Bluetooth or WiFi (both 2.4GHz). Bluetooth is low power/range so it is makes sense to bring the antenna out of the car (normally inside) and high up onto the (metal) roof, and MIMO helps a lot.

So, this seems the most plausible reason for the 'mini shark fin' to me!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Well, maybe, but UK DAB is at 225.648 MHz - i.e. only about double FM frequencies, so there is no need for any different aerial configuration. Come to that, my 2019 Citigo came with DAB (which works brilliantly) and yet it has a fairly standard-looking aerial which is about 7-8" long and the base is the simple "slanted cone shape" commonly seen on lots of VAG cars. I assume the shark-fin base must be for some other feature that I don't have!
Now I come to think of it I am fairly sure I have AM as well as FM and DAB (I don't use radio a lot when driving) so maybe the long antenna is more for that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I thought AM stood for All Mushed-Up!. :)
Pretty sure there's no AM on mine, but the DAB is surprisingly good, signal appears as good a FM, but just sounds clearer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts