Up Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VW dealer investigating our up! where we have had trouble selecting reverse gear on occasion.

Their investigation came to these conclusions:

Either driver(s) selecting reverse improperly or the 5th gear to reverse safety device is doing it's job properly.

This is despite the two drivers concerned having driven around 1.5 million miles between them and never having a reverse selection problem with over 40 or so vehicles over the years and despite neither of us having ever contemplated (let alone tried) shifting from 5th to reverse.

Honestly: you could not make this *ollocks up.

VW are not doing well in our eyes!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hmm, its the first VW i've seen with reverse next to 5th, and the first car i've had that's not had the usual 'push down/next to first'
Can you select reverse after reclutching once? I remember the odd time in Golfs where it would not go into reverse without holding the clutch down for a few secs, then it would find reverse with a slight 'bang' which would jolt the car! I never found out what the reason was.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also have this problem. Sometimes releasing the clutch and repressing works and also sometimes putting it into 1st will then work..
Such a pain when It happens..

·
Registered
583 Posts
The up! gearbox definitely isn't the best around.

To select reverse, you have to be stopped - and I mean stopped dead.

I think it's more of a guidance / linkage issue though, not as much an actual gearbox issue.

Sometimes mine doesn't go fully into gear - any gear, but mostly 5th.
It feels like the lever needs just an extra few millimeters of travel, but can't go further and it won't go in gear.
If I release the clutch then, it's crunching time.

Getting it back to neutral position (sometimes but not always releasing and repressing the clutch), then trying again usually solves the problem though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts