Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove my 60HP move up with 2000 miles up a very steep hill and it nearly conked out it was crawling so slowly. My wife's diesel Juke whizzes up there so now very disappointed. Can i expect better with more miles on the clock or is this as good as it gets?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Change down. Use a low gear and it will be ok. Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Sorry, you can't exactly compare a 109bhp, 177lb/ft 6 speed diesel to a 60bhp 3 pot Up! when it comes to pulling power. It's not even remotely comparable. It's also roughly twice the price.
That's aside, as said, use your gears and you'll be fine!

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Davec86 said:
Sorry, you can't exactly compare a 109bhp, 177lb/ft 6 speed diesel to a 60bhp 3 pot Up! when it comes to pulling power. It's not even remotely comparable. It's also roughly twice the price.
That's aside, as said, use your gears and you'll be fine!
Well said Dave
Use the full rev range aswell and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Correct!

Edited by: Truth-seeker

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From what rpm does the 75 engine start outputting more power and torque than the 60 engine?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link. In summary, the power and torque advantage start at 4k rpm. Sadly i don't like reving over 4k - i guess i'm a diesel kind of guy. I've just started a PCP, so my only way out in the medium term is an early swap into an up GT. Roll on GT...........

·
Registered
811 Posts
My last 4 cars were diesels so I've had to get used to revs. I actually like giving it the beans so it's no hardship to me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
AlanG said:
Drove my 60HP move up with 2000 miles up a very steep hill and it nearly conked out it was crawling so slowly. My wife's diesel Juke whizzes up there so now very disappointed. Can i expect better with more miles on the clock or is this as good as it gets?

I'm surprised, I find the Up is actually very capable on steep hills, far more than many ~1.0l cars. In particular I find it has a relatively high torque output at lowish revs.

I usually have to tacklethis hillat least twice a day - a rise of 60m in about 800m, roughly 13%, so a fairly steep and long hill by most standards - and many other similar ones in this hilly corner of the Chilterns.

My last car, a 1.1, really needed to be given the beansin 1st & 2ndon the flattish bit at the bottomoff the roundaboutthen slotted into 3rd when you hit the redline just to maintain a steady pace up the rest of the hill. Get blocked off the roundabout and you'd have to sit at constant high revs in 2nd with your foot pushed through the floor.

In comparison the wee Up just flies up it, able to accelerate up in 3rd even if you don't get a clear run.

It's not fast, but it's far from the slowest car on the hills around here. If you followed the hopelessly optimistic (and hill-blind!) gear shift indicator then I can imagine you struggling though!

Edited by: juux

·
Registered
237 Posts
AlanG said:
Thanks for the link. In summary, the power and torque advantage start at 4k rpm. Sadly i don't like reving over 4k -
With the 60HP engine you get the maximum torque at 4k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts