Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 60 bhp Move Up for a few weeks now. It came with half a tank from the dealer, so after that I filled it to the brim and used nearly all the tank and brimmed it again.

Results; 354miles, 32.5ltrs = 49.5mpg

This was by no means all town work. It was probably 40% town. I was hoping for so much better - especially when I was really trying to get a good figure!!

I am hoping for an improvement as the mileage increases but has anybody else had fairly low (measured) figures?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm doing 7 miles to work and back each day and I'm getting 60mpg. Being very gentle though while I get it run in and more confident. Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
421 Posts
There's so many varying factors with the mpg, are the tyres inflated properly, do you carry a lot of weight in the car. Do you drive with the windows open blah blah blah!

Also the mpg does tend to get better as the car 'runs in' and you will notice a difference when the weather is warmer but worse if you use the air con

·
Registered
655 Posts
I am getting between 55-62mpg from mine. I can assure all of you that tyres inflated correctly make a notable difference and advise these are checked regularly! That's enough from the tyre geek!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I must check the tyre pressures. I know I haven't been carrying any heavy loads etc.
Hope it improves!! Otherwise, we love the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Benjijackson said:
Had my 60 bhp Move Up for a few weeks now. It came with half a tank from the dealer, so after that I filled it to the brim and used nearly all the tank and brimmed it again.

Results; 354miles, 32.5ltrs = 49.5mpg

This was by no means all town work. It was probably 40% town. I was hoping for so much better - especially when I was really trying to get a good figure!!

I am hoping for an improvement as the mileage increases but has anybody else had fairly low (measured) figures?

I have just filled mine up for the 2nd time today. Mine also averaged about 50mpg using the manual calculator method. I have now done 300 miles. The long term setting on the maps & more also says 50mpg, but said 45mpg when I picked the m&m up, so it has been getting better each day. Each day on my daily trip to work the M&m shows an average for the short trip of approx 58-63mpg depending on traffic.

I was also told by several people that mpg would get better after the first 2000 miles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My first check yesterday (High Up) using brim to brim method worked out at 57mpg.420 miles / 33.12 litres. I cover 44 miles per day round trip, this involves about 50/50 town / dual carriageway. At the moment max speed on dual carriage way held @ 55-60mph. I expect this to improve.

Before I had this car I had been driving the wife's car (Peugeot 107). Based on 2 months brim to brim checking I was achieving 55 - 59mpg using similar driving technique.

·
Registered
70 Posts
7 miles each way for me too: the blue trainer is a god prompter too.Average 53mph at present on my 75 high up with aircon on.
Happy so far since my last car did 27 average and 40 if you REALLY drove like a granny!

·
Registered
22 Posts
People do worry a lot about their mpg, and lots of people start to persuade themselves that their car is 'faulty' or something.

Reality is that you get the mpg that your driving style and journey/route type returns. Tyre pressures, windows etc make a difference, but all that being equal, you just need to stay off the brake by anticipating the road ahead and accelerate slowly if you want the best mpg. You can't do anything much else to get better mpg and you have to accept that your particular type of journey/route returns that particular mpg.

Having a small 3 cylinder engine will give you the best mpg you are likely to get from a petrol model.

I think some people are just unrealistic and drive in a 'brisk and nippy' style but want the best mpg, the two don't really go together.

·
Registered
123 Posts
maps and more is currently showing me 350mpg left to goon a full tank... But thats hasn't gone down and i've driven about 50 miles since... Its still better mpg than my last car.

Try driving slower... if your motorway driving 60mph gives better figures than 70mph. and keep the air con off once its cooled down enough.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Doesn't matter where I drove or for how long, I have always had between 55 and 62mpg. Only done just over 400 miles!!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
robwoods said:
I think some people are just unrealistic and drive in a 'brisk and nippy' style but want the best mpg, the two don't really go together.
Very true, the nature of the journey is important, but some people have a tendency to burn fuel by braking and accelerating rapidly. The OP should take a look at this thread:

http://upownersclub.co.uk/forum/how-to-improve-mpg_topic794.html

It is possible of course that the nature of the OPs journey is such that better fuel consumption is not possible.

·
Registered
956 Posts
timbo58 said:
7 miles each way for me too: the blue trainer is a god prompter too.Average 53mph at present on my 75 high up with aircon on.
Happy so far since my last car did 27 average and 40 if you REALLY drove like a granny!

Oy, watch it timbo58, I AM a granny and whilst I'm no Lewis Hamilton, I'm no slouch either.

Grannies of the world unite

·
Registered
70 Posts

It WAS an Audi TT though! I thought the best advice I was given was to treat the accelerator and brake pedals like you were pressing on them via an egg -VERY carefully!
I did get 44mpg out of the Audi on a long run doing 50mph, however it wasn't the sort of car that liked doing that, however the Up certainly is, so I am expecting to get closer to the 'combined' 61mpg as more miles go on and I get used to driving it.
275 miles on so far since Saturday!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Had my Up! Black for 12 days. Done 350 miles - commute is about 13 miles each way no motorways or dual carriageways. Average mpg to date is 56. Over the moon, insurance was 50% cheaper than last car, free tax this year and only £20 next year, less at the pumps. Win win!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
For anyone looking for a way to keep a track of their mpg via the brim to brim method, and if you have an iPhone or other iOS device (iPod touch / iPad), there is a great little app called "Road Trip" which will calculate your weekly / monthly costs (not just fuel either), and lets you keep a track and record of all your fill ups (even partial ones) and plot graphs of your fuel economy etc.

I've been using it for a while to keep a track of my last two cars, and can't fault it.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/road-trip-mpg-mileage-fuel/id298398207?mt=8

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sorry perhaps its just me enjoying my little car but I have not paid that much attention, SO checked and have only done 35 miles which has been stop/start all the way and have moved half way between the 1/2 and 1/4 tank. So can't say if thats good or not.
On the other hand it is so lovely to drive, ONLY fault for me is being short the seat belt does cut across my neck and have tried higher/low seat position ( still a problem) In my Polo you could move the belt down the post, and suggestions please ??

·
Registered
60 Posts
I too only got about 47-49mpg on my first full tank. I'm now 5/8 of the way down my second tank full and have done 252 miles on that. I've been trying on this tank full to drive according to the thingy on the dash which tells me when to change up (very frustrating - I don't like driving like that - I prefer it to be more intuitive!)

Mumski - try the followinghttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150603242520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_2968wt_1002

Worked for me!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mines averaging 60-70mpg now i'm finding i was a economical driver to start with, only 120 miles gone though. I live on a hilly section of the M1, and it managed 62mpg with the blue motion engine this evening. (air con off)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts