Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order a Take Up and I'm looking for the very cheapest deal. I know that getting anything off is going to be tough but, I like to see the dealers work for their money
The best I've found so far is an internet auction site offering £111 off.

I'd be grateful if anyone who has got a discount on an Up could specify (a) what deal they managed (b) which dealership it was.

Thank you!

Alan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Alan, you'll struggle to get a discount on a take up, margins are tight on that end of the market and frankly unless a dealer is in desperate need of another registration in order to hit his target why discount a car that he only has 4% in? (thats 4% of the basic (before vat, delivery etc) price) so 4% of approx £5600.
We did get a discount and a decent deal fromlocal dealer but I do sell new cars fora living (not for vw!) so kind of know how to approach it.

Be wary of ordering from a broker online, they can only put your order in when the have enoughto secure the discounts they needin order to give you theprice they promised!

Just out of interest how much cheaper than £7995 do you want it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a really informative and informed response. Thank you. I know that their margins are very tight, especially on cheap cars like this. There is a common misconception that the dealers make money hand over fist on car sales.

I suppose I'd be very happy to get £200 off in order to psychologically narrow the gap between the price of an Up and the all but identical Skoda Citigo. Would asking for additional items (like free servicing etc) be a better approach than asking for cash off?

Cheers,
Alan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I got my Move Up, maps and more and sound pack with no money off the list price, but I did get the servicing thrown in (usually £99 when brought with finance, £299 without) and an extra £300 up from the list price for my BMW than the online quotation I got from Parkers... That to me is worth £400 which is significant given the car was only ~£8,900. You'll never get £100s off a car when it is so cheap to start with.

I'm feeling pretty happy that since I ordered the list price has gone up, so this feels like a further discount and as my car is to be built week 22 I think it comes with hill hold control as another sneaky extra too :) :)

I would aim for a good price on part ex if you have one, free servicing, mats, fuel etc... Rather than knocking money off the cash price. It never hurts to walk away and let the dealers start chasing you...

Edited by: upupandaway

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hi
I got a £600 discount on a vw move up!Lots of extras..Not prepared to give dealers name on open forum.
We were previously going to buy a TakeUp! With comfort pack...cost £8135,same dealer. At first dealer was not
going to give us anything off....paid cash!

·
Registered
44 Posts
It was JCT600 VW in York.

Told them I needed car soon (true - just sold my Alfa MiTo privately) Had cash.

They tried to sell me the showroom model but it had 2k of extras I didn't need.

They then searched the system and told me an up! White had been built - was available and could arrive in a few weeks (nearly 3 weeks ago now)

I told them I wanted a discount and they said they "didn't need to" offer one as they could sell all stock. They began to offer "deals" of things I just didn't want such as those little up! "boxes" that they're marketing the car with and even a white up! key cover. I wasn't interested and left the show room.

They emailed me the day after and said I could have it for £11k - they tried hard to "do a deal" on finance but this wasn't for me - maybe you can get more "discount" with finance but really - you'll be paying more with interest. (IMO)

I'm used to getting more of a discount (over a grand at least) Not sure this is the best discount on offer but it was £305 off list price.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reckon you did well and played 'hard-ball'.

I'm paying in cash but have read they prefer finance because they get a slice. Therefore, my plan is to go in there suggesting I want finance, trying for a deal, asking for a written quote for the car and then telling them that I have, in fact, found the cash down the back of my sofa

·
Registered
123 Posts
yeah, very tough deals... they will throw in extras though rather than knock off the dollars. its a brill car whatever the price though. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
drabux said:
I reckon you did well and played 'hard-ball'.

I'm paying in cash but have read they prefer finance because they get a slice. Therefore, my plan is to go in there suggesting I want finance, trying for a deal, asking for a written quote for the car and then telling them that I have, in fact, found the cash down the back of my sofa

you are right, the dealer will be chasing a finance target aswell as a new car registration target. ime the money made from hitting your finance target is greater than the cash from the new car target, unless you reach 120%+ of your set target, in which case you actually make reasonable money from a new car.

I know you say you'd like a couple of hundred quid off so its inline with the Skoda, but surely the reason youre looking at the up is because you prefer the look and the badge, and that has to be worth a couple of hundred quid more? Plus would you beable to get £200 off a Skoda? If so it would still be cheaper than the discounted up!

·
Registered
128 Posts
We got a good offer from Orangewheels online.They put us in touch with a dealer who was willing to offer a good discount and match the px offered. They offer full dealer facilities too inc VW finance. We printed a copy of the deal off and went back to our original dealer who couldn't match the deal but could offer other extras to make up the discount,free servicing,mats etc...in the end we stopped local but the print off gave us good back up to haggle.. Don.t forget to shop round for the other bits they try to sell you at inflated prices,GAP insurance,finance,autoglym shine etcEdited by: pugliablue

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mark,
Again, interesting info.

You are right about the Skoda. I can definitely get it for £7350, which is about £600 less than the Take Up. I'm willing to pay extra for the VW styling, but it's hard to swallow £600 just for that.

What I have done is use Autoebid. It's had good reviews, from what I can see. The idea is the dealers bid each other down. If it reaches your reserve then you pay up (+ a fee to Autoebid). The auction ends on Monday and I'll report back on whether my reserve has been met.

I'm aware that when the Up first came out some people were getting up to £350 off, but this is no longer so.

Alan

·
Registered
453 Posts
worth giving Andre a call at Ridgeway Wantage in South Oxfordshire a call on 0844 846 2315

he will tell you straight on the the phone if there is a deal to be done

used him for my last three cars and best salesperson i have ever dealt with in terms of updates on build

say Andy with the Edition 35 recommended you, he knows i'm on the hunt for an Up GT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts