Up Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys!

So I asked earlier on how to de-wiper my little up, but now i figured it out myself, so I'm gonna show you guys how to do it, if you want to!

First of, you need a glass grommet to cover up the hole of the wiper, and you can get one here:
http://www.gecleant.de/shop/glasstopfen-fuer-audi-vw-seat-skoda.html
(It's in German, i know)
When you got that part, you need to get the plastic cover off the trunk lid so you can get access to the nuts on the wiper.
It's stuck on with a few metal clamps (In lack of better word), which is fairly difficult to get off.

After you got the cover off, you need to pull off the protection cover on the wiper arm itself to access a 13mm nut, which is fairly loose. Then wriggle off the arm.

After that, you need to loosen up the 3 nuts holding on the wiper motor.

Then pull it out! Now you can get the rubber seal out aswell!

Now comes the part where you need to insert the grommet.
!!MAKE SURE TO DO A TEST FIT FIRST SO YOU KNOW IT FITS PERFECTLY!!
Spread the adhesive evenly across the grommets big flat surface that's going to stick against the back of the rear window.
Then make sure the notch is pointing in between the two lines on the window (Look at picture)

Then apply pressure to the grommet until you're sure it'll sit there for itself, and let the adhesive dry.

Then add the plastic cover again and your're done!

(Note that i still got the film on my grommet/plug)

I hope this will be useful to other Up members of the forum!

Edited by: Blackpuppy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey that looks great!
i've done the same de-wiper but mine seems smaller than your glass also mine looks like it sticks out of the glass more than yours :/ is there any chance you could do me a favour and take a picture straight on from the rear of the car as if you were standing behind it and maybe from the side to see how much it protrudes out of the glass. If you cant its fine but it would put my mind at ease because mine looks a bit wrong.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I appreciate the look etc but why? my rear window gets filthy and I NEED the wiper.....just asking

·
Registered
145 Posts
For me the wiper is not needed, I can still see out the back and use the wing mirrors to look behind me when I can't also it looks really clean

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Fairy nuff carpy......have you de-badged too for the smooth black look??

·
Registered
145 Posts
No not yet anyway, I'm keeping the vw logo because it looks beautiful and lost without it. I planning on removing the up badge though and maybe sticking it on the dashboard? haha

·
Registered
957 Posts
Privatedoc said:
I appreciate the look etc but why? my rear window gets filthy and I NEED the wiper.....just asking

I could not manage without my rear wiper !

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Privatedoc said:

Well, I've just gone from a 4x4 in which I had painted the windows black with spraypaint (Yeah, I know, silly cheapskate) so I'm kinda used to not being able to look out of my rear window. Besides, I'm going to get my windows tinted black so its gonna look totally clean!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Do you have a wide shot of the rear?I find it hard to appreciate the look from the photo you posted.
Your car is so clean, at first I thought you'd reversed into a tree

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm pretty much done with this here only one problem the arm will not come off! I've tried pulling it and won't budge, is there a tool to pull it off or what because it ain't moving ??

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
ChrisPitchford said:
I'm pretty much done with this here only one problem the arm will not come off! I've tried pulling it and won't budge, is there a tool to pull it off or what because it ain't moving ??

I find that wiggling the arm back and forth whilst pulling (clockwise/anticlockwise as far the play in the mechanism will allow) usually helps to free wiper arms. Make sure you leave the retaining nut wound onto the thread a couple of turns so when it finally crack free you don't go flying backwards onto your arse!

·
Registered
42 Posts
thanks shakotanVIP but i got a tool that popped it right off nice and easy! clamps around the back of the wiper and you just wind it off the car. plugged the gap and its ready for a good wash this weekend

1 - 16 of 16 Posts