Up Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I aquirred a VW Up! about half a year ago at this point and after flipping through the service schedule and the service history i noticed the timing belt has never been changed (didn't notice this when buying it). The car is on 42,000 miles 14 reg so well past the recommended 5 year change, is this something i should do imminently or can i leave it for a while (i understand these engines are interference engines and if the belt goes it will knacker up the engine). And if i do need to do it imminently how much can i expect to pay for this job.
Thanks,
Zdos123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Following VW and independent garage advice, I've had my 2015 Up (60 hp petrol) timing belt changed after 5 years. While the belt is good for much longer, the tensioner has plastic components which can degrade over time (friction, heat etc) If yours is a similar engine, the water pump does not need renewing as it's driven separately. Cost can range from £250-350, dependent on parts used, personally I insist on genuine VW. Speak to a local reliable independent garage for advice, but in my opinion it's not worth risking it as failure will wreck your engine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I had my "high" belt changed at five years, as above the garage said the components around the belt were wearing more than the belt itself, cost 350 quid with genuine VW parts, the VW tensioner pulley is pretty expensive compared to a "gates" but I'm happy its done

·
Registered
42 Posts
I looked into this when we were buying my Son's up and a local independent garage that I have used for servicing in the past would charge almost the same as the VW dealer we use (£350 ish).

Now that is at the top end of the range but I had assumed that independent would be cheaper. I believe that OEM parts would being used so that could be where some of the overhead comes in.

·
Registered
2013 Vw Up Black edition
77 Posts
Im in the same boat, having taken ownership of an almost mint condition March 2013 UP Black Edition, with frightfully low, but genuine mileage of just over 7000miles.

Apart from two small stone chips on the bottom front bumper, you could almost pass the car off, as being a few months old, not nearly nine.

Theres barely a blemish or defect on the paintwork, and knowing the car from new, i know everything about the car is genuine, its been garaged all its life, and serviced annually.

Lift the bonnet, and all the stickers and labels are factory fresh, but i also, do not know the history of its timing belt, it might have been changed, but the previous owner cannot remember it being done, so in other words, Get It Done.

Its been inspected, and i was told it looks almost new, and there was no need to have it changed, but i know the belt is now over nine years old, and even if it doesn't need immediate attention, it will in the near future.

Im having it changed in March, Peace of Mind, and knowing the condition of the car warrants its replacement, and ive been quoted around £250 for the work, so nowhere near main dealer prices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts