Up Owners Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
No, not as such...
But LEDs may not work as expected, even without CANbus - some apparently cause the flash rate to go wrong, so you may need CANbus types with load resistors built-in. I am not sure which types are known to work!

Some people reckon it's not worth having LED indicators, as they are bright enough already, the right colour, and very rarely turned on (comparatively).

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
81 Posts
Hi, as above, thanks!

I have a 2012 model if that makes any difference??
Tried Philips led bulbs in my 2020 model year. They flashed normally outside the car but inside the light on the dash and the sound were hyper-flashing. Fitted the supplied canbus adapter but it made no difference.
At the time I had the VW Bluetooth data plug fitted so every time I indicated I got a notification on my phone to say a bulb was out.
I’ve subsequently put the old bulbs back in and repurposed the canbus resistor to stop the LED bulbs flickering on my cooker hood.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
There must be a way round this problem as stated by C.Expat.. It must be the case that the internal dash lights and the indicators are on separate electric circuits (or else hyper-flashing would be in sync, like with the old-school thermal switch 'clacker' modules). .... My guess is that it is a question of finding the right LED plus resistor to get the current right to fool the BCM into thinking the indicators are filament bulbs.

One test is to remove one of the indicator bulbs and seeing if the internal dash light flashes fast (the current will be halved). Next test is to use a single 5W bulb for an indicator - I think they are normally 21W bulbs. This should drop the current draw to about 1/8 of that when there are 2 x 21W bulbs. The point is, if we know at what current the BCM decides there is a fault, we can fix something up to get round the problem....

I like tests and analysis, but of course it is a pointless thing to get absorbed by LED indicators!

Edit - if you do get notifications through to a phone (etc) via an ODB dongle, then this implies CANbus, as used elsewhere on the car. I wonder if say, a headlamp or taillamp bulb failure is also reported? If not, it seems odd to have only indicators on CANbus...!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So fitted the LED front indicator bulbs and got the dreaded double-flash on the dashboard, didn’t seem to be double-flashing in the bulbs which is strange. But regardless, fitted the CANBUS Control Units (which were very fiddly!) and bonza they cured it!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Yep, good news, but the issue is that the ballast resistors do vary from one LED to another, and not all on sale will work with all vehicles as the expected current load varies, hence my explanation of trying to find the right resistance value by experiment to make the BCM happy!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve replaced all the main/dipped, DRLs, side indicators and now front indicator bulbs with Osram LEDs and they seem good quality and other than the front indicators needing the CANBUS unit haven’t had any issues with any of them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts