Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that many of you have made changes to your wheels and suspension.
I assume that this may affect your 3 year warranty.
Can enyone shed any light on this?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would only harm those parts if affected, however you arn't going to get a wheel bearing on warranty as they will claim wear and tear anyway.
Also if you change something , you can always change back to original if wanted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few people have said similar things, some have said that VW will always have a wise ass technition that will say the lowered suspension has caused the gear box to fail .... for example.
Has anyone had any first hand experience with warranty claims after suspension mods?
Again thankyou!

·
Registered
142 Posts
You may be better asking the same question on a polo or golf forum, as the percentage of lowered up's that have been in for 1st year service etc will be so small at the moment.

·
Registered
583 Posts
You can change your wheels and suspension to non-VW approved replacement parts.
It's the EU's way to curtail vendor lock-in regarding spare parts and ensure a free spare parts market.

VW can only void the warranty when they prove the damage was due to fitting the replacement parts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's good to know. Do you know if that is published anywhere? Just in case I need to go back to VW with a warranty claim.

·
Registered
124 Posts
But they have to be type approved and not alter dimensions in anyway with many or most insurance companies require informing of a change.Most of these insurance companies will not pay out if they have not been informed of any changes so be beware.If you are in Germany and you change anything on your car you need to have the item TUV tested and noted in your log book.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
collos25 said:
Irrelevant rubbish

If you want an educated and relevant answer, I took my heavily modified up! back to the dealership for the airbag recall and to fix the CD player which was refusing to eject the CD.

All was covered under warranty, and the only comment I got from the Service Manager was "I love your wheels, the guys in the Service Department couldn't stop talking about your car".

When I asked him about Warranty stuff, he said they only really get funny if you start mucking around with the engine i.e. remaps etc.

As stated, the warranty won't cover any non-VW replaced parts, or if these parts cause direct damage to any other part on the car.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
124 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
collos25 said:
Irrelevant rubbish

If you want an educated and relevant answer, I took my heavily modified up! back to the dealership for the airbag recall and to fix the CD player which was refusing to eject the CD.

All was covered under warranty, and the only comment I got from the Service Manager was "I love your wheels, the guys in the Service Department couldn't stop talking about your car".

When I asked him about Warranty stuff, he said they only really get funny if you start mucking around with the engine i.e. remaps etc.

As stated, the warranty won't cover any non-VW replaced parts, or if these parts cause direct damage to any other part on the car.
Take your car back under warranty for drive shaft or suspension faults with self modified susespension and see if they will repair for nothing I no they would not here in Germany and my experience in with the UK motor trade they would not there either but do as you like its your money and you seem to know best about everything.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
collos25 said:
Take your car back under warranty for drive shaft or suspension faults with self modified susespension and see if they will repair for nothing
Hey, genius, look what I wrote in the post you quoted

shakotanVIP said:
collos25 said:
I no they would not here in Germany
Well, that's great news, but seeing as the OP isn't in Germany, that's about as useful as taking a mop to a fox hunt.

collos25 said:
... you seem to know best about everything.

Thanks, I quote from real-life experience, not spurious irrelevant information that's either made up or not pertaining to the question that is answered.

Edited by: shakotanVIP

·
Registered
140 Posts
Of me, or of my car? Pretty sure you don't want a photo of me!
I want to see a photo of you!! Haha I joke I joke!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Stop it, the pair of you.

Nick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts