Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know really how to describe this weird sound that occasionally emanates from my dash, other than to say it's like a little pixie twanging a ruler for a couple of seconds. I don't think it's the air con, but can't imagine what else it might be. I hear it maybe once every 5 minutes and it seems to be random, and quite faint. Has anyone else heard this??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have noticed this noise. I thought it was coming from behind the dash on the drivers side. I seem to hear it more when the wipers are on. What could it be

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
likely to be an air distribution flap, try twiddling the R hand air distribution dial when it happens.

·
Registered
361 Posts
simon hayes said:
I too have noticed this noise. I thought it was coming from behind the dash on the drivers side. I seem to hear it more when the wipers are on. What could it be

Yes, definitely at drivers side, so are you saying right side, mine comes from left hence left hand drive? And I think it's not anair distribution flap, it comes more inside or behind dash. It's like something adjusting something, but what adjusts what, I don't know...

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

·
Registered
10 Posts
I thought it was behind the drivers side of the dash. As I said, I notice when the wipers are on. Like, when the wiper gets back down to the bottom of the windscreen I hear a "du du du doinge", type of noise, then nothing for a while then the noise all over again. Almost like something is re-setting it'self.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
wiper spring? try silicone spray on wiper spring outside car.(sound transmitted through shaft to behind dash)

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Definitely a pixie then !

·
Registered
171 Posts
UpMan said:
Has anyone else heard this??
Yep ""“ sounds for all the world like something clockwork whirring into life ""“ I half expect a cuckoo on a spring to fly out of a previously unnoticed hatch somewhere on the dash

Some journeys it doesn't happen/I don't notice it at all; others <mytubeelement =""bundle":"label_delimitor":":","percentage":"%","smart_buffer":"Smart Buffer","start_playing_when_buffered":"Start playing when buffered","":"","desktop_notification":"Desktop Notification","continuation_on_next_line":"-","loop":"Loop","only_notify":"Only Notify","estimated_time":"Estimated Time","global_preferences":"Global Preferences","no_notification_suped_on_your_browser":"No notification style suped on your browser version","video_buffered":"Video Buffered","buffered":"Buffered","hyphen":"-","buffered_message":"The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.","not_suped":"Not Suped","on":"On","off":"Off","click_to_enable_for__site":"Click to enable for site","desktop_notification_denied":"You have denied permission for desktop notification for site","notification_status_delimitor":";","error":"Error","adblock_interferance_message":"Adblock or similar extension is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add to adblock whitelist.","calculating":"Calculating","waiting":"Waiting","will_start_buffering_when_initialized":"Will start buffering when initialized","will_start_playing_when_initialized":"Will start playing when initialized","completed":"Completed","buffering_stalled":"Buffering is stalled. Will stop.","stopped":"Stopped","hr":"Hr","min":"Min","sec":"Sec","any_moment":"Any Moment","popup_donate_to":"Donate to","extension_id":null,"prefs":"desktopNotification":true,"Notification":true,"logLevel":0,"enable":true,"loop":false,"hidePopup":true,"autoPlay":false,"autoBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBuffer":true,"autoPlayOnBufferPercentage":42,"autoPlayOnSmartBuffer":true,"quality":"large","fshd":false,"onlyNotification":true,"enableFullScreen":true,"saveBandwidth":true,"hideAnnotations":false,"turnOffPagedBuffering":true" ="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement =""loadBundle":true" ="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>it occurs at intervals of quite a few minutes.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Perhaps everyone getting this noise should state their model and age - as it clearly only affects a subset of ups? I have had 2 ups and neither made this noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Went to work last night and used wipers but noise was not there. Typical!. Clockwork noise mentioned above,, is spot on. My car is a 2013 5dr, move up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
+2/3 e said:
sounds for all the world like something clockwork whirring into life ""“ I half expect a cuckoo on a spring to fly out of a previously unnoticed hatch somewhere on the dash

Spot on, you nailed it. We're still no closer to finding out what it is though. Weirdly, since I posted about this a week ago, I haven't heard the noise at all.

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
361 Posts
I heard it few days ago couple of times, when driving home from cottage, at motorway.My speed was 100 km/h (by Garmin) and motor had been warmed up and was using cruise, so the conditions were quite constant. One thing though, it was raining wet snow and I was using wipers, but I am sure the sound was not coming from them, because the sound was heard at random few times, maybe about 15 to 20 minutes between them and maybe three or four times total.
I think it has something to do with wet or moist weather and it adjusts something in motor or air coming in cabin (was not using aircondition), but this is solely my guess.

-eelis-

Edited by: -eelis-

1 - 20 of 36 Posts