• Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want get an idea who has this. I think it's noticeable as the up has very little sound proofing, I can't hear anything if the blowers or radio is on.

Cheers

·
Registered
525 Posts
Which noise do you mean? There is a high pitched sound when accelerating at between 60 and 70 but I've no idea if it comes from the gearbox.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At low speed, say 2nd gear at around 20mph I get a whine from the transmission as I'm coasting about. I also get that high pitched noise when I'm the motorway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, 60-70 mph a whine from the final drive area, changes noteon / off part throttle.Car has been into the dealer and with them for 4 days expecting a new transmission to be fitted under warantybut it came back after they'd done nothing to it. VW head office / technicaltold the dealer it is normal to hear this noise.My "engineers trained ear" tells me otherwise.
I suspect a bearing issue, possibly lack of lubrication to a bearing race which is causing the surface to break up, thus affecting the meshing alignment of the final drive gears.
Anyway my concern is now logged with VW, I'll run it on and let it develop.We'll see if the box chews itself to bits after a few more miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, just read about the gearbox whine. Noticed today whine noise, car has only covered 550miles. Will see if it gets worse. Does vary with speed and if engine is actually under load or coasting. Glad to read I am not the only one with the problem. Thanks to the people who run the site,
George
High up tungsten silver

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I only get a 'rattley' sound in 5th gear no matter if its fast motorway driving or 35mph ish but I wouldnt call it a whine unless this is the noise you mean

·
Registered
811 Posts
I get a distant whine on my High Up but not the Take Up. Both do the 5th gear rattle but none of it really bothers me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
geogwar said:
Hi, just read about the gearbox whine. Noticed today whine noise, car has only covered 550miles. Will see if it gets worse. Does vary with speed and if engine is actually under load or coasting. Glad to read I am not the only one with the problem. Thanks to the people who run the site,
George
High up tungsten silver
That's about the mileage when I started to notice it. Car has done about 7000 miles now and continues to whine. It has been quieter over the cold winter months but now the weatherhas warmed upand I'm doing a fair bit of motorway work the thing is whining more than ever.
I'm not doing anything with the fluid whilst it is stillin warranty but as soon as it expires I'll be putting some proper stuff in the box and some soundproofing on the bulkhead.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Mine whistles - it has done from day 1 - but as it's now done 14,500 miles it does look as though it is part of the car. The light-weight gearbox casing, oil viscosity and lack of sound-deadening to blame, IMHO.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mine has done around 500 miles, and whines very audibly in second and third gears at lower speeds, both on mild acceleration and deceleration. You notice it most when crawling in traffic.
No fifth gear noise yet.
Going into the dealers Thursday.
This is NOT acceptable for a new car, and looking around the internet, it seems to be a trait of the Up manual gearbox.
The noise was not prevalent when we test drove the car.

The question at the back of my mind is, "what will it be like at 25000 miles, and what will that do to the re-sale value?"
Maybe the dealers that are currently telling you that it's normal for this car, will then tell you that they can't give a decent trade-in price because it has a noisy gearbox !

We've bought the UP to replace my wife's 61 plate Aygo which has done 17000 miles, is a similar engine, similar car weight, and has no gearbox noises whatsoever.

·
Registered
172 Posts
try changing the oel on the gearbox it does wunders, with the sound and crunsing reverse.got full syntec 75W90 in now, way better.

regards
RIX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts