Up Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on here my UP! is a 2nd car. Drove my Audi A3 today and yes it is more refined but it just seemed boring to drive. The UP! is just more engaging to drive as you actually have to drive it. Always puts a smile on my face as they are such fun to drive.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, I love driving our high up tsi and my gti, they're just so willing! I had planned to disconnect the soundaktor on the gti but I really like the little growl it makes, makes me feel like a naughty youth 😆. My a4 is twice the power but is way less fun.

·
Registered
2019 Up! GTI, 2000 BMW M5
6 Posts
Love driving mine (GTI) but in all fairness even the 2 75 hp ones I had before were fun to drive also, I have an old BMW M5 aswell which of course is alot faster than the GTI, but if I just fancy a fast blast down some country lanes the BMW is not the car I pick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
it's a nice car, and is my main car. however, i went for a drive in the countryside and it struggled with some of the steeper hills. i guess you just need to put it in the lower gears?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Yes, a lower gear, and let it rev a bit.
I have a 75ps, and only one hill between here & Truro on the A30 requires 4th and a run up! Third, if I'm really pressing on. But really, it's rarely an issue unless on a fast road with a pretty long, steep hill and you want to keep close to 70 or overtake.

·
Registered
21MY Kings Red Up! GTI
21 Posts
Really enjoy my GTI, it is everything I wished my old street up was. To be perfectly honest, my old up was a second car but was great for just nipping to places. My main car hardly got used as I now work from home so I decided to get rid of both cars and combine both in the GTI I now have, and am really happy I did.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I like the car as it was cheap, is reliable, only £20 a year to tax and easy to park.
Do I like driving it? No. Today's overcrowded roads don't suit the UP well, overtaking is difficult and pulling off from the lights your always going to be second to anybody that's in a hurry, so difficult to make progress.

Any journeys I can possibly use my motorcycle for I jump at the chance 🤫😎

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it's a nice car, and is my main car. however, i went for a drive in the countryside and it struggled with some of the steeper hills. i guess you just need to put it in the lower gears?
My 2014 High Up! 75Bhp has been “liberated“ from the City and lives in The Cotswolds. No problems with the hills as long as you keep the revs up and use the gears properly

·
Registered
VW Club Up!, VW Golf 7.5 R Line TDI 150 DSG
34 Posts
Our 75ps Club Up is my wife's car and she's happy with it.

Personally I hate driving it. The 3 cylinder engine sounds wheezy and the suspension is too harsh over bumps.

Each to their own but i couldn't live with one, makes my Golf feel like a luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our 75ps Club Up is my wife's car and she's happy with it.

Personally I hate driving it. The 3 cylinder engine sounds wheezy and the suspension is too harsh over bumps.

Each to their own but i couldn't live with one, makes my Golf feel like a luxury vehicle.
As much as the UP! Is fun to drive if I was going on a long motorway journey would choose my Audi A3 everytime.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Always nice to have the budget for 2 or more cars! Now I'm retired we don't need much of a car, we've had plenty of nice fast ones in the past though, and mostly paid for by companies. We have better things to spend money on these days!

Nevertheless, we'll be happy taking ours to Portugal when things get better.... It'll hum along fine all day along the Ruta de la Plata at 75. It's no Golf or Audi etc, but is as quiet and refined as the Fabia I just drove, and far quieter on concrete surfaces than the Scala.

No complaints for the price and for low TCO - we can afford to throw it away in a few years if needs be!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Always nice to have the budget for 2 or more cars! Now I'm retired we don't need much of a car, we've had plenty of nice fast ones in the past though, and mostly paid for by companies. We have better things to spend money on these days!

Nevertheless, we'll be happy taking ours to Portugal when things get better.... It'll hum along fine all day along the Ruta de la Plata at 75. It's no Golf or Audi etc, but is as quiet and refined as the Fabia I just drove, and far quieter on concrete surfaces than the Scala.

No complaints for the price and for low TCO - we can afford to throw it away in a few years if needs be!
As i said, each to their own. Quiet and refined are not words i could use to describe the Up, perhaps quieter and more refined than some so imo these are relative descriptions and certainly not ansolute.

I agree as far as price and TCO are concerned, top marks for the Up!

·
Registered
34 Posts
As i said, each to their own. Quiet and refined are not words i could use to describe the Up, perhaps quieter and more refined than some so imo these are relative descriptions and certainly not ansolute.

I agree as far as price and TCO are concerned, top marks for the Up!
Read 'absolute' lol

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
It does help to have a certain spec level even with a budget car, and SE-L Citigo was not too bad in the trading down process, got a few other things included in the price, like full-size spare, mats, big alloys..... At least it feels more like a real car!

A guy was working on our house yesterday, and had picked up a nail in his Mini. Completely flat just before a 40 mile trip home; he pumped it up and hoped for the best, against advice.... No spare, and he'd already used the gloop on another occasion. How much do Minis cost? :)

·
Registered
360 Posts
In as much as anyone can enjoy driving these days with the crazy traffic, clowns six inches from your rear end, clowns driving in Bus Lanes when they should not and not driving in them when they can, pulling out from side roads in front of you, wanting to drive at 50 in a 30 MPH limit and cant understand why you are not, the list is endless.

However even with all this i do still enjoy driving my UP GTI on the rare occasions that i drive these days. The car is excellent. Nice and warm with the heater on,( the less said about the useless heated seats the better.) The car goes up hills as if you are on the flat. The cruise control is excellent, nice and relaxed on the motorway and the car still gets loads of looks which i like.

As for the spare wheel, so many cars do not have a spare now. That is why the first thing i did after getting the car was to purchase a spare. Its nice that the UP has a well in the boot to keep the spare in, as so many cars do not. The makers like to say the boot has extra under floor storage in their cars, when in fact this is where the spare should be or used to be. You could always store the spare in the foot well behind the front seats as i have done in previous cars.

To save costs the car makers have come up with a new idea. Based on the success and cost saving of not fitting a spare. All new cars are now going to be sold without seats or a steering wheel. if you want these items included you will have to pay extra lol.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Indeed; terrible traffic, pollution and psycho drivers made us move to somewhere chilled, and so a big, or fast car is no longer a thing for us. We can walk to the supermarkets, the beach, the town centre, etc from home - the Citigo is saving a ton of cash for other fun things!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I downsized to the Up! GTi and I love it! I rarely miss the refinement of the old car, but I do need the practicality of access to my wife’s car for large load shifting etc.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I will make my practical license exam on 11 of october, I still did not drive my gray Up! , but I am waiting to get my license, I am sure it will be very fun to drive my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts