Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just placed a holding deposit on a 3dr red Up Gti with a black roof, light & sight and seat height adjustment. Trading a 68 plate A3 Sportback Black Edition 1.5 tfsi due to lack of use and to reduce my outgoings. Nothing else out there brand new for the price that comes anywhere near in my opinion. Loved the look since they first came out. Anyone made a similar move ? Thoughts folks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
One thing is for sure, you've definitely done the right thing, you won't be disappointed !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 911ts3, just something about them. Great little package for the money. I never specced the car it was already at the dealer. I think it looks brill in red with the black roof. Wish they still did a pan roof though. I think they will probably get discontinued in the near future again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi i moved from a 54 plate golf gtd to a new up gti About a year ago . The up was about half the price of the golf. I love the car it drives brilliantly and is cleverely small outside and bigger inside. Every journey puts a smile on your face and it looks great. Fuel economy is brill and the engine noise thing is magic!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Down sized from a 69 plate 520D MSPORT Auto.
It never once made smile like the Up does. Don't miss the BMW at all.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My Tsi replaced a company car, normally a Range Rover or Discovery. Don't miss the size problem, parking, time spent in filling stations and the dirty looks. Love the UP! go anywhere, park (almost) anywhere, people are either neutral or nice, I even get let out of junctions !! Bit of a Tardis, so lots of room and the rest of the time just a hoot to drive.......

·
Registered
692 Posts
I first moved to an Up in 2015 from an Audi A4Sport Avant. Loved that car, but to be honest, having retired last year, I don't need anything that big.
The Gti is just as quick, more fun to drive, and tax, insurance, and mpg miles better too .

·
Registered
378 Posts
911, all posters, good to see other retirees on here, is the whole topic dominated by retired but young at heart ?
I wonder how many UPs are just as keenly driven and enjoyed by the grey vote (not my term but will serve) as opposed the the youngsters ..................

·
Registered
9 Posts
Welcome to the forum Jossy.

Our TSI UP, as a 2nd car, effectively replaces a BMW M240i convertible. 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, glorious sounding straight six producing about 350bhp, but I have no regrets. The Up is more fun 90% of the time. And it attracts no hate, which may be increasingly important as the economic impact of coronavirus starts to become real....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, really appreciate the response. I'm off to look at it and test drive in the morning. It looks like the availability is drying up again. I think I've been very lucky to find one in the spec I want. I wish the pan roof was still an option though. Keep you all posted.

·
Registered
484 Posts
911, all posters, good to see other retirees on here, is the whole topic dominated by retired but young at heart ?
I wonder how many UPs are just as keenly driven and enjoyed by the grey vote (not my term but will serve) as opposed the the youngsters ..................
I’m a grey top who’s nearly retired ( now a house husband ) and must admit I put my base ball cap on backwards when I go for a drive in my gti and I love it .

·
Registered
692 Posts
Funny how many of us retirees (or close), have the Gti. With me it's because of previous Gti experiences (many), is it the same for the others ?

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well folks, the deed is done ! Never test drove it due to the horrible weather (my choice). Drove a 3yr old 60hp 5dr just to get a feel for the size. No comparison obviously. Love the look of the Gti. Pick it up on Wednesday. PS : I'm a grey top in the making at 49 !

·
Registered
378 Posts
Funny how many of us retirees (or close), have the Gti. With me it's because of previous Gti experiences (many), is it the same for the others ?
Same here, but Tsi, which is plenty for me with a speed hump friendly ride height, and inside the M25, just as quick 😎 (I'll get my coat) meanwhile, I'll save my my ultimate grins for my TR4 works rally rep !
I was hoping to drive it to Sicily for the Targa Florio in October, all booked, currently on hold 😒
CT88120-TR4 TEST DRIVE 2006 041 a.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very nice North London Mike ! I have a soft spot for Triumphs. My first car was a 1977 Brooklands Green Triumph Dolomite 1500 HL twin carb. Loved it. It's the longest I've ever owned a car 4 1/2 years. It was 11 years old when I got it (2nd owner) and it only had 42,500 miles on it.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Same here, but Tsi, which is plenty for me with a speed hump friendly ride height, and inside the M25, just as quick 😎 (I'll get my coat) meanwhile, I'll save my my ultimate grins for my TR4 works rally rep !
I was hoping to drive it to Sicily for the Targa Florio in October, all booked, currently on hold 😒
View attachment 5025
Lovely TR !
I'm like you Mike, I have two other toys to play with. We should have been going to CLM, but obviously all cancelled. When I want a proper thrill, I take my Alfa Ti Super Rep out, & now got an equally nice, but not as frenetic, S2 Spider, which I've been sorting over the winter.

Attachments

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
378 Posts
Hi 911
Very nice, love an Alfa ! I also have a 2nd classic, which is our Enduro rally car, here seen last OCT, little did I know it would its last outing for a while....(me at the front with all the hair !!)

Yes, CLM was also on the list, be 2021 now, maybe see you there. I'm hoping we can rescue Sept, booked to go to Angouleme and pop into LeMans on the Saturday ??

2nd driver, keep 'em coming..........

·
Registered
378 Posts
Very nice North London Mike ! I have a soft spot for Triumphs. My first car was a 1977 Brooklands Green Triumph Dolomite 1500 HL twin carb. Loved it. It's the longest I've ever owned a car 4 1/2 years. It was 11 years old when I got it (2nd owner) and it only had 42,500 miles on it.
Jossy
1500 Dolly, very nice and sort after now, I have its big brother. Did a couple of events in an 1850, great little car

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dolly Sprint was a proper bit of kit. I nearly bought a yellow one when I had mine but it was snapped up. I have fond memories of my motor. Especially weighing the back end down with sand ballast in the winter - it was like a crab ! Fun times.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Oh my days, @911ts3 your Alfa is effing beautiful

FYI I'm not even nearly retired, though also not the 17 year old owner that many people probably thought this car was aimed at

1 - 20 of 52 Posts