Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Tootes
Thanks for sharing the photos, we all have other cars 'of interest'
S1 1800cc, values starting to climb, is it standard ?
If you're reading this and have posted yours, please feel free to now, we'd love to see it

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
"Oh my days, @911ts3 your Alfa is effing beautiful "

Which one do you like, Saloon Ti Super, or the Spider ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Mike,

Its Modified to about 160 BHP, the main of that being a conversion my Bell and Coleville. I have owned it 20 years almost to the day. Martini Stripes were done about 9 years ago when a drunk drive wrote it off whilst it was parked at home. I took it off the road in 2013 just after I moved to Scotland.

In the last two years I have been tidying it up and preparing it for life again, I am nearly done now, about a month away from its MOT and if the engine doesn't go bang we should be good for another 124,000 miles. In my twenties I went everywhere in that car and did many UK trackdays and the odd Euro one.

Photos of the rebuilt and a bit more here

More importantly to me I have gone out and searched all the best roads in the UK and driven most of them in the Elise and documented many, it of course has done the Alps (twice) including the Stelvio, and the Rhombo, a far superior drive.

The one road I had missed was the top corner of the NC500 which I did this Jan in the UP Gti, it was a great companion for that trip and I loved it

I have owned two Alfas a 145 Cloverleaf and a 146ti, great cars. My friend is currently buying an old one, Ill post a picture if he gets the deal done.

Bought the UP Gti through a lotus forum member who also posted on here.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
That one will be buried with me. Before that I had two Bertone Coupe's, a 1600 GT Junior with a 2 ltre motor, and after that I built a GTA Replica with a GRP body and 175 bhp, which went like the wind, but an old boy once said to me "Have you ever driven a saloon ? Once you have, you'll never want another Coupe ! "
I hadn't, and set out to look for one. He was right, this one has a mildly tuned new 2 litre , LSD, & suspension mods.
I set out to recreate a Ti Super, as there were only 501 originals built from 1963 - 1965, to compete with the Mk1 Lotus Cortina in the European Touring car championship.
A good original is upwards of £100K.
The originals were all 1600cc, 115bhp in standard form, latterley around 160bhp in race trim. The pre-65 cars are also much lighter than the later cars.
I've had all sorts, including early 911's, Elans, a 289 Cobra Rep, MGA, etc, but this thing gets more attention than any of them.
Another couple of pics, and a couple of it's predecessors as mentioned above.

Attachments

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mike,

More importantly to me I have gone out and searched all the best roads in the UK and driven most of them in the Elise and documented many, it of course has done the Alps (twice) including the Stelvio, and the Rhombo, a far superior drive.
Important to get out and drive them, UK has some great roads. Tough to beat the Alps though, the legends are there to be freshly discovered by a new generation of drivers ! A few years ago I did the 20 Alps Rally, twenty of the best, toughest, most famous passes in Alpine rally history. a week of flat out charging, the stages were over two days, plus transit there and back, keep saying I'll go back and do it all again.....happy days 😎👌

1st Day

2nd Day

·
Registered
118 Posts
For me the Timmelsjoch remains king, maybe something to do with the speed I went up there chasing an early S2 Elise in 2002.

Looking forward to driving my friend's Alfa when it comes through - visually similar to your red one Mike. He also has a collection of RS and RSR 911s, most of which I have driven, some on track. The early ones are amazing cars, if the Alfa runs as nice then that will be pretty special.

Ill make do with the Elise/Up for the time being and hope to get back out to the Alps in the next couple of years, or at least CLM.

I have been thinking about doing a trackday (knockhill is closest) in the up but all funds are going on the Elise resto.

·
Registered
95 Posts
FYI I'm not even nearly retired, though also not the 17 year old owner that many people probably thought this car was aimed at
Same here! My last three cars have been Lotus Exige, a 9e 911 996 Turbo, and a BMW MPPSK 340i (also tuned).

As I’ve said in the newbie corner, I’m looking forward to driving a car that won’t threaten me with jail time if I put my foot down. I’m not condoning it, but you could easily find yourself going 160+ in the Turbo at the end of a short dual carriageway! It was too addictive to go fast everywhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi i moved from a 54 plate golf gtd to a new up gti About a year ago . The up was about half the price of the golf. I love the car it drives brilliantly and is cleverely small outside and bigger inside. Every journey puts a smile on your face and it looks great. Fuel economy is brill and the engine noise thing is magic!
I've literally just done exactly the same as you today although mine was a 59 plate GTD. GTI delivery expected 1st Aug. Really looking forward to the GTI but will miss the old Golf.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi all, just placed a holding deposit on a 3dr red Up Gti with a black roof, light & sight and seat height adjustment. Trading a 68 plate A3 Sportback Black Edition 1.5 tfsi due to lack of use and to reduce my outgoings. Nothing else out there brand new for the price that comes anywhere near in my opinion. Loved the look since they first came out. Anyone made a similar move ? Thoughts folks.
Like those above me in this thread and yourself I have also moved down in size to an up! GTi in the last month from a ‘17 Astra, ‘10 Golf before that and ‘07 123d before that. I have had plenty of small Fiat group cars (127 mk1/2/3, Panda mk1, Y10 fire & Turbo, Cinquecento Sporting, Seicento Sporting, Panda 100hp) over the years though so the size of car and efficient utilisation of space is nothing new to me. It’s nice again to have what I had with my Golf in a small but nippy package. One unseen benefit has been that I can now move around my garage with ease with the car in there, amazing what an extra space 600mm of room generates when the Astra consumed all but the last 150mm’s.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have gone up in size. My last car was a Smart For Two. I have had all sorts over the years including Jaguar XJ6, Ford Granada, Fiat Panda 100 HP, MGB, TR6, two Smarts a petrol and a diesel. I miss going to the post office each year to tax my Smart for free,now having to pay £150
When i collected my UP GTI from the dealer i forgot to get the Green part of the V5 change of keeper details. The dealer taxed the car for me but i do not know if he did the change of keeper details online or by post. If it was done online,then the DVLA web site says you get the new V5 returned in 3 to 5 days. It is now 12 days and i have still not received it. I have sent two emails to the dealer and one to customer service about this but no reply from either of them. How long did you have to wait for the V5 in your name?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have gone up in size. My last car was a Smart For Two. I have had all sorts over the years including Jaguar XJ6, Ford Granada, Fiat Panda 100 HP, MGB, TR6, two Smarts a petrol and a diesel. I miss going to the post office each year to tax my Smart for free,now having to pay £150
When i collected my UP GTI from the dealer i forgot to get the Green part of the V5 change of keeper details. The dealer taxed the car for me but i do not know if he did the change of keeper details online or by post. If it was done online,then the DVLA web site says you get the new V5 returned in 3 to 5 days. It is now 12 days and i have still not received it. I have sent two emails to the dealer and one to customer service about this but no reply from either of them. How long did you have to wait for the V5 in your name?
Panda 100hp 👍
MGB 👍 went to school next to the factory.

I bought my up! secondhand and not from a VW dealer but the V5 was here in less than a week (6 days I think). The tax refund for the last car is still not here though (up to 6 weeks according to the dvla site). You can search to see tax, mot and whether a V5 has been issued here :-https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
Swansea sees big swings in workload perhaps especially at the moment as the motor trade has picked up wildly since the end of lockdown. Best thing to do is wait the stated period then ring them up, most of them are really nice and helpful.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for that ASH. I have been on the DVLA site before and it just shows the original V5 when the car was new. The dealer in Manchester i collected the car from has been in touch,but because i purchased the car online from there branch in Glasgow he says Glasgow will have done all the admin. I dont know how they managed to tax my car at the Manchester branch without the V5 to hand. Perhaps they just used the 11 digit code on the V5. I will wait to see what Glasgow says.
The DVLA site is confusing. They say if the change of keeper details is done online the new V5 is posted in 3 to 5 days. However further in the site it says it can take 4 weeks. Then further still it says wait 6 weeks if it was done online before contacting them!!

The MGB was great. I had the last of the chrome bumper models before they went over to rubber. The Panda 100HP was quick but i did not like the way the foot rest was so high forcing you bend your left leg instead of being able to stretch your leg out. I got a £2500 discount off the car and sold it after 2 years. I only lost £1000.

I have just used the wipers on my UP GTI as it is the first time it has rained while driving it.The first sweep each time is very noisy. Is it a case of "They all do that sir" Also i cant understand the radio. i have it on BBC One Xtra but each time i turn it back on it goes to another station. I cant see how to save stations. Also how do you change the clock on the radio as its an hour fast and can you change the colour from Blue as it is now to Red to go with the Red GTI theme?

·
Registered
237 Posts
The dvla I think have certain Service Level Agreements to operate to so they aim to get new docs out very quickly but the 4 weeks and 6 weeks are to allow for anomalies and the postal system. Monitor the cars details via the dvla link especially the last line “Date of last V5C (logbook) issued”. The taxing of the car is easy all you need is the reg and a means of paying.

The Panda was like many Fiats as far as the pedals went so I was used to having things cranked round at odd angles. They have become a cult car partly due to relative rarity and the journo’s love of them, they still fetch silly money even for high mile cars. I so nearly bought one instead of the up! but ultimately even if I debugged one fixed the suspension etc I’d still have ended up with a 12 year old Panda and I think the GTi is a modern equivalent certainly sharing many similar attributes.

Not used the wipers yet either, something to look forward too! I’ll give the blades a clean in a few mins, one guy I used to work with used silicone wipes on them to keep them alive, don’t know where he got them from.
The clock is controlled from the main car clock in the OBC under the speedo make sure daylight saving is ‘on’.
Not fully locked horns with the radio as yet as have been listening to internet radio while driving about, annoying and distracting it isn’t a touchscreen.

edited to add : If you have a lot of MP3’s I noticed that the usb supports my 256gb memory stick which I used in the Golf. I’m not saying that it’ll support every brand of stick at that size but it’s a useful alternative to the phone if you don’t need nav or use a Tom Tom. I may eventually attempt to upgrade to 512gb or 1tb as the 256 is full and although it’s overkill carrying every bit of music around with you it’s nice to have ultimate choice over what to listen to!

·
Registered
961 Posts
1) Buy Bosch Aerotwin blades - they work quietly. The OEM parts are rubbish and they all squeak and grind sooner or later.

2) Current playing radio station can usually be saved by pressing and holding one several buttons (until there is a bleep) when faves or presets are displayed. You may have to try a few button to get to the presets screen. It's in the manual, and will vary according to which of the radios you have.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Update. I have managed to get the correct time on the clock and managed to change the radio colour from Blue to Red. I was even able to set the levels of bass and treble. Wow i am getting good at this.The sound is really good now.

Thanks for that freemansteve.The wipers are too new to change yet but i will try Bosch when its time to change them. I have pressed loads of buttons to store stations but all that happens is the station changes to another station. Never mind i only want Radio One and One Xtra so i can select them manually.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My car is ready for a set. OE ones seem to last a year and then start squeaking. Valeo and Bosch ok. Valeo are £26.00 a 3 - wiper set from GSF using the 60% discount code.(which is a ploy to get you to buy), but decent value nowadays all the same

21 - 40 of 68 Posts