Up Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Thanks for that freemansteve.The wipers are too new to change yet but i will try Bosch when its time to change them. I have pressed loads of buttons to store stations but all that happens is the station changes to another station. Never mind i only want Radio One and One Xtra so i can select them manually.
I binned my wipers within 300 miles on a new car. No point moaning to the dealer - to dim to even know what you are on about, and the best they would've done is to replace with the same rubbish. Life is too short, and bad wipers ping my OCD!

Radio buttons - press and hold until it bleeps to indicate the channel is stored. But you have to be on 'presets page' display.....

·
Registered
600 Posts
Same here! My last three cars have been Lotus Exige, a 9e 911 996 Turbo, and a BMW MPPSK 340i (also tuned).

As I’ve said in the newbie corner, I’m looking forward to driving a car that won’t threaten me with jail time if I put my foot down. I’m not condoning it, but you could easily find yourself going 160+ in the Turbo at the end of a short dual carriageway! It was too addictive to go fast everywhere.
My brother owned a 996 turbo and now has a 997 turbo both of which had my head pinned against the head rest while accelerating past 165mph and I couldn’t help saying “ jeeeezzzzus” as we went for a drive out.
When I gave him a go in my UP GTI he was surprised how much fun it is when pushing on even though we didn’t accelerate through the 165 mph barrier.
It’s nice having a car that’s fun to drive at sensible speeds sometimes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My brother owned a 996 turbo and now has a 997 turbo both of which had my head pinned against the head rest while accelerating past 165mph and I couldn’t help saying “ jeeeezzzzus” as we went for a drive out.
When I gave him a go in my UP GTI he was surprised how much fun it is when pushing on even though we didn’t accelerate through the 165 mph barrier.
It’s nice having a car that’s fun to drive at sensible speeds sometimes.
I can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to a lower level of tolerance.

Having had the 9e treatment, my 996 Turbo was off the scale (as in wheel spinning in 4th gear if you were reckless). Even the BMW was pushing 500bhp when I’d finished tuning it; and the worse thing with both cars is when you run them as a daily (which I did), you get used to the power and it just feels ‘normal’ to ping from 30mph to 100mph in about 3 seconds. And when it is normal... you do it more often... too often. I’m sure your brother would understand what I mean!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes that’s so true . I’ve never owned fast cars but did have fast 1,000cc bikes that made 120 mph feel slow and like you say you get use to it which isn’t good for your licence or your longevity.
That’s why I like the UP which is fun at lower speeds.
Don’t think it’s slow though ! You’ll find you’ll be held up by everything on the road like I do everyday.
You won’t be able to do the 9 car overtake like a 997 or bike could do but I find 3 or maybe 4 no problem with the std engine .

·
Registered
254 Posts
TEST DRIVER
Registered

Joined 1 mo ago
32 Posts
#36 20 h ago
Thanks for that ASH. I have been on the DVLA site before and it just shows the original V5 when the car was new.

The DVLA site is confusing. They say if the change of keeper details is done online the new V5 is posted in 3 to 5 days. However further in the site it says it can take 4 weeks. Then further still it says wait 6 weeks if it was done online before contacting them!!

UPDATE.. Good news. I went on the DVLA site again and they had processed my V5 yesterday. Thank goodness for that. Panic over. Dont panic Dont panic.

·
Registered
600 Posts
TEST DRIVER
Registered

Joined 1 mo ago
32 Posts
#36 20 h ago
Thanks for that ASH. I have been on the DVLA site before and it just shows the original V5 when the car was new.

The DVLA site is confusing. They say if the change of keeper details is done online the new V5 is posted in 3 to 5 days. However further in the site it says it can take 4 weeks. Then further still it says wait 6 weeks if it was done online before contacting them!!

UPDATE.. Good news. I went on the DVLA site again and they had processed my V5 yesterday. Thank goodness for that. Panic over. Dont panic Dont panic.
Good job captain Mannering !

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks Sean66. I tried the heated seats when i went for a drive yesterday. I know the weather is warm but i just wanted to try them. I put the seat on level 2 ( 2 Bars ) for 10 minutes and i did not think they were too warm as people have said on here they roast you. I turned them down to 1 bar and i could not feel any heat.
Is it because the weather is too warm but in the winter when its cold outside the seats will feel much warmer?
Im sure i am correct in saying the seats work independently and you do not need the cars heater on or the temp dial turned to the red zone. Mind you i do feel the cold so perhaps its me never warm enough.

Whats his name? Dont tell him Pike.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Having had all our Up's with heated seats since 2014 (all High Up's and the Gti), they're an absolute boon in winter. My Mrs wouldn't be without them any more.
They really come into their own from November onwards.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks 911ts I thought that would be the case. I guess the weather is too warm at the moment to feel the benefit of heated seats,but it will be nice in the winter.
The other thing i noticed with the car is most people on here talk about how quick the car is and how it handles. yes this is true,but i also find the more i drive it,just how nice it is when going slowly in traffic jams. It is so flexible in slow moving traffic crawling along in second gear with no problem.
The car is so smooth and the engine is so quiet but put your foot down and the engine roars as you head for the horizon at warp factor speed. I love the car.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Didn't I tell you that you wouldn't be disappointed, when you first asked on here ?
I've had mine almost thirteen months from new, and don't regret a second of it.
Yes it could have better stuff in some area's, but then you have to remind yourself that this little rocket is HALF THE PRICE of a base Golf GTi, and more fun !
Enjoy....

Reactions: North London Mike

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes 911ts you gave me good advice thanks. I also found the Mini Cooper would have cost £3000 more than my UP GTI.
I did a great deal all round. I sold my car to a dealer for £2000 more than i was offered in a part ex from VW and purchased my UP GTI at 9 months old at a saving of £4500 compared to new. I have seen cars a year older than mine priced at £1000 or even £2000 more than mine,so a great car and a great deal.
The only problem we will all have is what car to buy next when we are ready to change in a few years. Of course there could be completely new cars out by then,but if it was now i would have on the list, Mazda MX5 manual, Mini Cooper Auto, Aygo X Cite Auto, and VW POLO GTI Auto.
However i am keeping my UP GTI for 4 years at least,perhaps longer.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Good to hear (but not surprising) that you're enjoying it !

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi all, just placed a holding deposit on a 3dr red Up Gti with a black roof, light & sight and seat height adjustment. Trading a 68 plate A3 Sportback Black Edition 1.5 tfsi due to lack of use and to reduce my outgoings. Nothing else out there brand new for the price that comes anywhere near in my opinion. Loved the look since they first came out. Anyone made a similar move ? Thoughts folks.
Hi Jossy
I did exactly the same thing with my Hyundai i30N and brought a red 3 door Gti and loved the Gti just be careful of pot holes .
Sadly for me after nine months and having to put the back seats down for anything you want to put in the boot I pick up my new motor next week.
BMW 1-Series M Sport shadow Edition .
I won’t be missing the up Suspension.👍👍👍

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Wayneofwolves, strange that you post this now as I'm in the same position. Love the Up for what it is but miss the creature comforts of a bigger car. The ride is terrible due to the current state of the roads. I've been looking at a new A5 cab. Not yet convinced myself that it's the right thing to do though. Still doing no miles. There are some cracking deals at the minute.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wayneofwolves, strange that you post this now as I'm in the same position. Love the Up for what it is but miss the creature comforts of a bigger car. The ride is terrible due to the current state of the roads. I've been looking at a new A5 cab. Not yet convinced myself that it's the right thing to do though. Still doing no miles. There are some cracking deals at the minute.
The Gti as been fun it’s well built but it’s a city car with really hard suspension, yes I new all this when I brought it . Do I regret buying it NO am I looking for comfort with a huge boot you bet I am .
Will I miss swerving round pot holes like my life depends on it you bet I will 🤣.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Wayneofwolves, I'm now looking at a BMW 128ti - all black with a few options - good package for the money. It's a good alternative to the Golf Gti.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Wayneofwolves, I'm now looking at a BMW 128ti - all black with a few options - good package for the money. It's a good alternative to the Golf Gti.
Go for it Jossy collect my new car 2mrw time for a bit of luxury.
Ain’t going to miss the go kart suspension of the Gti 😂

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi all, just placed a holding deposit on a 3dr red Up Gti with a black roof, light & sight and seat height adjustment. Trading a 68 plate A3 Sportback Black Edition 1.5 tfsi due to lack of use and to reduce my outgoings. Nothing else out there brand new for the price that comes anywhere near in my opinion. Loved the look since they first came out. Anyone made a similar move ? Thoughts folks.
There’s two cracking 3 doors in red in the sales section at very good prices 👍👍

41 - 60 of 68 Posts