Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I'm asking for advice. I bought a used high up 1year and 2 months ago. 6 months left of warranty and it has let in water. It's gone in to be looked at and they've told me that mulched down leaves have blocked the drainage (hence the sloshing around I've been hearing) the carpets are water logged and goodness knows what else is damaged. Is this a common problem with the up? I went out and bought the best car I could afford ... For reliability and soundness of the car make, but I feel utterly let down! Specially when they ring me back with a charge of 780.00. Leaves!
I'm of the mind at the minute to get rid of it. The up has definitely lost its appeal. Is it fit for use in a country that has trees....?

Just wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get it back tomorrow. I'll let you know what they've done re drainage. I think
they have made the drainage holes bigger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
How did you get on?

I can't believe that they would make the holes bigger - if they do I'd argue that the design isn't fit for purpose!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi

I picked up my Up today from the garage after it being in to sort out exactly this problem.
My wife noticed a large amount of water being dumped on the passenger footwell when she went round a corner. It turned out that the drainage holes were blocked and the water had built up, sloshing heard, and the water was coming in at the pollen filter. The passenger and driver footwell were soaking. Fortunately I had all the work done under the guarantee and it is all dried out now.

I don't know how common this problem is but it seems that the drainage holes are not really up to the job.
I will now check every so often and clean if required to prevent it happening again.

I can't believe they want to charge £780 - this seems very excessive !

My Up is great but I really didn't expect this to happen on a two year old car !!!

Regards

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Kevin, thanks for letting me know about your drainage problems.... The price was excessive.... As I pointed out to them.... I could carpet my front room for less!

However, in the end they agreed to do the work as a ''good will gesture'.I've got the car back now, but I'm afraid I don't trust it or the garage any more and I'm going to sell it for something more leaf friendly.
Nicola

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi just been reading about your water problem.most cars have the same problem
Especially with leaves etc.some cars suffer worse A&E heater problems when
The pipe is blocked so think twice about selling you're lovely dry up as you're
Problem has now been sorted,
Regards phillš—š—

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Phil. Thanks for the message, I'm amazed that it's a common problem.... None of my past cars have ever leaked before. I like what you did there .... Dry Up! ˜„

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi nylon
Just got your message I think you're car just wasn't cleaned properly as you would do yourself
Also being a demonstration as well, like leaving it under a tree etc,I had a friend who had wet carpets
And when I investigated it the whole front of his windscreen was blocked with leaves all
Down the ventilation leading to the filter and air fan and that's where the problems are
found and normally makes the fan work only on the number three setting.so now you know,
you learn something new everyday lol so you keep the lovely car you have and hopefully
no more problems.
Regards phill.š—š—

·
Registered
63 Posts
My cowl has lots of leaves trapped inside as a result of being forced to park under several large trees for almost a year. I haven't had drainage/leakage issues yet, but I want to clean that cowl out to prevent future issues. Has anyone removed the plastic covers over the cowl?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nykky

In my past experience Volkswagen very rarely give 'good will gestures'. Suggests to me they know there is a problem.
I will certainly check for leaves from time to time to prevent this happening again.

Good luck with your Up

Kevin

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The problem seems to be a failure to properly maintain the car. It's not unreasonable to expect the owner to carry out certain checks. I would have thought the blockage of drainage holes by leaves is the fault of the owner and not a warranty issue.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Might be a stupid question, but what should I be doing to make sure this doesn't happen to my Up? Is it just clearing out the leaves which collect at the bottom of the windscreen?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Right first time Snuggles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Beevee

The car is properly maintained and leaves are cleaned out every time the car is washed/maintained.
Presumably VW didn't think it was my fault or they wouldn't have carried out the work under the warranty.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Snuggles said:
Might be a stupid question, but what should I be doing to make sure this doesn't happen to my Up? Is it just clearing out the leaves which collect at the bottom of the windscreen?
Unfortunately, it's not as simple as clearing the leaves at the base of the windscreen! The problem is in the plenum chamber...that's the space under the cowling at the base of the screen. This forms part of the heating/ventilation system and usually has two drainage places - one at either end. These often become blocked with all sorts of debris, rainwater can't escape, the chamber fills and then water gets into the heating/ ventilation system and finally the front footwells.
This happens to many different makes/models...it's not only an Up! problem . Cars that I have owned
in the past have included "clean and check the plenum chamber" in their service instructions.
Cars that spend much of their time in "leafy places" are obviously at greater risk...but all manner of "stuff" can find it's way in to the chamber and cause blockages.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Does the cowling pull off for cleaning. Any chance of a detailed description or photo's or service manual pages so we can all keep our plenum chambers clear !

1 - 20 of 25 Posts