Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all..

My dream was to have a car with armrest. My first car was my father's Hyundai accent (didn't have) then I bought a seco.d hand golf IV which also didn't have but when I was about to buy one I decide to change my car buy my beloved up!

After a fault of vw or the importer (forum: technical/faulty move up) I am waiting again my newer up. Until then they gave me a TDI 1.2 VW POLO BLUEMOTION. ok its totally different from up but I am still looking forward for my up.

The only thing I will miss is the armrest of polo. Do you think that be will add this as accessory in our ups?? If they will I will not think it second time to spend money for that.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
Yeah, never had a car with an arm rest, so don't know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Most of my recent motors have had arm rests which in autos is very welcome as your left hand doesn't do a lot! Not quite so necessary on a manual. As I recall, a retrofit non-OME armrest was one of the most popular accessories to be fitted to the mk1 TT by a plethora of TT Forum members. Like anything, if there's enough demand some entrepreneur will see the opportunity to make a quick buck. I'm sure there's some clever engineering bod out there who'll come up with a prototype.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Love an armrest!

All my cars have them, and it's one thing that I agree the up! should have as a retro fit accessory!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Think also the practical think of an extra case in our cars, which are not many..

·
Registered
41 Posts
might be worth keeping an eye on these guys

http://www.kamei.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel2.php?emulate=whycar&query=Volkswagen&brand=
They don't have one for an up! Yet but I'm sure they will one day

They are quite expensive tho.
There's often universal ones on uk & German eBay. But they really don't look any good.

I've heard of people retrofitting beetle, TT, and a few other card armrests, into other cars like polos and Lupos
But don't know much info to help out

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I miss an armrest too!

The New Beetle had them, although not sure about the new model though.

It is definitely something which you get used to

·
Registered
705 Posts
Aren't you supposed to have both hands on the steering wheel at all times, except when changing gear or using the hand brake? Certainly when you're taking your driving test, you'd be failed for not having both hands on the wheel. And the same applies for the advanced test, too.

I had an arm rest on the Octavia and it was a real nuisance. If it was down, it interfered with the operation of the hand brake, so it was dangerous. Therefore it was never used when the car was moving. I tried it out once when trying the car out and decided it was pointless.

They might be useful for a passenger, as long as they don't get in the way of the controls, but for a driver, not for me.

Nick

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes both hands on the wheel.

Armrests are added comfort in an automatic - but can make you lazy in a manual gear car.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
If you ar big like me, 6'3" your elbow rests on the central armrest while both hands ARE on the wheel...great on motorways etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because I am really interested may be you can give me more details about seat's mii armrest, Thomas..

Really happy to hear that great news..

·
294 Posts
I must admit this will be adefinite for me if someone brings one out.

I'm a bit of a relaxed driver so when cruising I like an arm rest with my other arm on the door arm / sill. Still in control but rarely drive with two hands on the wheel. Also never 'feed' the wheel a la driving test.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think it may be worth keeping an eye on both the Citigo and Mii as they already appear to offer a range of different accessories, presumably to try and differentiate themselves from the up! and each other, and I think it may be reasonable to assume that most if not all will fit the up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Manacee, this is often the case with 'badge engineering' I fitted a rev counter to a mates Aygo....toyota garage said it couldnt be done but got one from a pug107 and the aygo HAD the wiring and bolts already there!...plug and play !

·
Registered
7 Posts
GiorgoS said:
Because I am really interested may be you can give me more details about seat's mii armrest, Thomas..

Really happy to hear that great news..
Yeah, I don't see it on the UK website. It's in the Danish brochure:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/4beaabec#/4beaabec/18

(It says it has the upholstery to match the car, includes storage space and can be adjusted in height and the length).

Item no. 1SL061100 - should be universal.

My UP should have been build this week, so the dealer expects it's ready
for pickup in 14 days. Will then go to the nearest Seat dealer to order
the armrest :)

/Thomas

Edited by: CPH Move up

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Be very interested to see the arm rest insitu in the Up!

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Great link, love the armrest but not sure about the space invader stickers!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts